1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stone conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Mar 29, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

He did but as Sooty posted ^, nothing he said about Wall was forthcoming, it was a whole lot of nothing.

One thing he did let slip which was scary is that Stone seeks input from Wall on trades and FA.

No wonder Wall believes he is the franchise.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who said he is asking for the Max and why does that make it better?

He is a negative defensively and is almost 30 years old what does he bring a rebuilding team?

He is just good enough to be a progress stopper but will not be a difference maker to get you into a top 4 spot.

If he wants to sign for the near minimum and be a veteran for the young guys fine but he can do that on a actual contender.

HP3 likes this.
  3. CXbby

CXbby Member

Allen is the one asking for the max, which he is not worth. Which means he was either going to be a bad contract or gone.

Olynyk is not a negative on defense, what makes you think that? Cuz white, lol? KO can be quality depth and a vet for the young kids to learn from. He plays the right way, have you noticed? I don't think we want to tank year end year out like sac or min, is that what you would prefer? If not, then positive contributors are still welcomed.

RudyTBag, juanming and 18pbr like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Got a link for JA asking for the max?

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Allen is a RFA does not matter what he is asking for the Rockets would still have his rights.

hakeem94 and Kim like this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You seem to haven forgot a certain Hinkie and what happened to him when he publicly and shamelessly announced to everyone that Philly was tanking. He got fired and no one has wanted him as a GM again. Where is Philly now though? They have a strong core in Embiid and Simmons whom superstars are willing to make as a trade or free agent destination and first in the East. Of course Stone and Silas aren't going to just come out and be like "Yup, we are going to lose as many games as possible." That said, Silas is probably trying, but I highly doubt Stone is trying to build a playoff team and in this league, it's either playoffs or tank.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

More like stoned conference.

8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I dont think it was the strategy. At this point it definitely is. This season made no sense to tank in. We're playing the odds knowing full well we could land the 5th pick or worse and then lose it to the Thunder and move down 15-20 spots. Next season was the tank season, but at this point there's no turning back and we mine as well stay bottom 3.

Personally, I dont mind too much that we suck. I'm okay with sucking. But I'm not okay sucking as part of a rebuild while giving 30+ mpg to a point guard who ball hogs and doesnt let other guys get shots up. I'm not okay with losing 20-games straight while being totally non-competitive most nights and getting blown out by half time. I'm not okay with Kevin Martin Jr. getting 11 mins in a game when he has no foul trouble, is making no miscues, and is actually playing well so that older players can get court time. I'm not okay with an offense with Christian Wood, Tate, Porter Jr., and KMJ on the floor watching Wall dribble for 15+ seconds per possession, or with an offense that continues to trot out Christian Wood at center despite his injuries and apparent difficulty staying healthy when playing guys 50+ pounds bigger than him.

I'm also not okay with sucking and making bad player personnel moves. Reports from good sources have come out saying we could have had Dinwiddie during the trade and opted instead to make it a 3-way deal and not take on Dinwiddie, only to reportedly offer PJ Tucker for Dinwiddie months later. We could have traded Allen for more than a very late first round pick. We could have gotten more for Levert than we got for Oladipo, because Levert didn't have his mind set on a single destination, wasn't a "rental," and was on a movable contract.

There's other stuff too. Gordon should have been traded when teams were reportedly interested; 25 cents on the dollar for him is okay to get his contract off the books. KPJ should have been called up earlier from the G League. Martin should never have been sent down to the G League. We should have gotten a real center to start the season instead of banking on Cousins and later a slew of g-leaguers called up in desperation.

I dont hate Silas or Stone. They seem competent. But they are also learning on the job, and the mistakes along the way for a franchise at a critical juncture in its development is getting tiring.

D-rock, snowconeman22, ilias and 2 others like this.
  9. pass_to_Hakeem

Stone f’d up!

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. pass_to_Hakeem

At the least 4-5

11. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

one thing that stood out to me is that he doesnt plan to tank multiple years but he didnt say we wont tank this year. I think tanking this year is planned (you can see here that even Tillman is on board with tanking this year since there are not many fans in stadium due to pandemic.) Hence the plan is to tank this year and rebuild fast.

Kim likes this.
  12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Not sure if anyone posted the actual video yet, but here it is:

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

is it worth watching or its just a fluff talk?

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m just concerned that he apparently asks John Wall for GM advice.

15. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

The thing is I think it’s good to have a veteran or two that can help with growth. Kelly is a guy that is a good teammate (from what I’ve seen on other teams and heard from other fans), knows his role and with his passing spacing and iq can help young players grow

I don’t think we should overpay him, but if his market isn’t crazy he would be a good guy to bring back

we need our youth and some vets that are willing to teach and let the guys grow

snowconeman22 and jiggyfly like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

"John, got a second? We're thinking about finding a way, any way, really, to dump our starting point guard. We just don't feel like he's a part of the future of this suddenly young team. He's also displayed an appallingly selfish streak on the court, and we just can't even stand to watch him any more. KPJ is the future, and this guy's standing in his way. So yeah, we're traying our best to find some way to send him packing, and we wanted to get your take on that."

"Yeah, that definitely sounds like the way to go. The current starting PG is just not... hey, wait a minute!"

D-rock, don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I haven't watched all of it, but we can watch it together if you want to start it right.......................... now!

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

BRILLIANT
    BTW i hope stone is just lulling him into sleep ready to pull the chair any moment now

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cant be true, must be some ploy or the other...

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't really understand the pick swap unless they are hoping Oladipo comes in and destroys the team(if so, that's some gangsta sh** right there) - I think that was a real head scratcher. For the rest of the trade though - although it's a popular refrain, I don't see the criticism of Stone grabbing Oladipo and then trading him. To me, Oladipo is a former All NBA player so Stone was taking a flyer on the best player available - see if he had anything left in the tank and could be a leader on this team. The answer was of course a resounding 'no' - and because he had only a few months left on his contract, I can see why the market wasn't interested in yielding value on a high usage player they know will be available later this year but honestly - who was going to give up significant value for LeVert at the trade deadline? He's coming back from an injury and doesn't move the needle for any team trying to make a trade deadline move. At best you are going to have to showcase him the rest of the year to maximize his trade value but there is one ball and you already have John Wall on your team so who gets less playing time? Kevin Porter Jr - that's who....

...there was simply more potential upside(since he has been "the man" on a team before) with Oladipo that just didn't exist with Levert. Caris seems like a fine player, but his trajectory was a solid starter at best before the injury and more likely(post injury) will be a solid rotational player in the NBA - albeit a young one. I just don't see how Caris' trade value he would represent significantly changes our trajectory as a franchise much more than a Kelly Olynyk does and Caris as a player wasn't worth growing because we already knew he is nowhere close to being a Batman or a Robin and why start building around the Butler?

We need Batmans on this team and you guys are crying about how we swung and missed on a Robin who used to dress as a Batman that we chose over an Alfred the Butler who dreams of being a Robin. Don't get me wrong, Batman NEEDS his Robin AND his Alfred, but Alfred doesn't fight crime alone and to me LeVert and Olynyk are two of the same type of supporting cast type of player for the right situation. At least we could use a stretch big on this roster - taking the ball out of KPjr's hands to groom Caris either to be a future starter on this team or as trade bait would have been the ultimate worst case scenario....well the next worst case scenario after being forced to trade James Harden because he hates what your owner has done to the franchise but that's conversation for a different thread.