1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kelly Olynyk's Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 27, 2021.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Real people trade

Which deal is better, Harden deal or Chris Paul deal.

Chris Paul and picks for John Wall and extra $47 million salary.

Harden for Kelly Olynyk, Bradley, Exum and picks

John Wall has unwanted contract.

I think Stone is very smart but he doesn’t know Paul and Harden huge trade value.

None of those guys are proven young star. Kelly Olynyk is clearly the best player Stone got.

#101 BigBum, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    banzai and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That hair! Like Fabio in his prime! Must be the ProV vitamins.

jerryclark likes this.
  3. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

****ing LOL.

Rockets4Life13 and saleem like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Big Bum has surpassed himself. It's baffling. I'm speechless.

RustyHarden and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

It's a good sign that K.O. is still with the team and hasn't asked for a buyout. He could then join a contender and shine brighter while being in the spotlight of the playoffs. Bringing up his free agency stock.

I think he likes what Silas system can offer him. He fits perfect in that role.

saleem and HP3 like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Happy to see Olynyk getting way overhyped, with people apparently thinking that he's going to shoot 60% and get 25 and 8 every night. (I suspect these are the same people who got hyped on Dipo after his first game with us.) If only there was a way to look O's stints on prior teams to see how he usually performs...

chadyang likes this.
  7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, a change of scenery/system had never helped a player in the history of the NBA.

BamBam likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good point. There are dozens of examples of a 30 year old changing teams and doubling the production he had over the previous 7.5 years of his NBA career. Happens all the time, and is definitely gonna happen here with Olynyk.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes, I was told the NBA is where Amazing happens

Although now it just seems its: NBA, where ring chasing happens on two superteams... but I digress

Easy, sirjesse and saleem like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If you make the example esoteric enough, you obviously won’t find another. But many players thrive after a trade even later in their careers. Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker are two recent Rocket examples.

No one is saying KO will be Durant here. But he’s always been a solid player and Silas’s system benefits his skill set.

fattz and chadyang like this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

dang that 3 year 24 deal is already 3 for 30 now. thank god he bricked all those 3's in the 4th it'd be even higher.

sirjesse likes this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Olynyk is a steady veteran role playing who knows his role. He will never be a star, but he can complement Wood. Whether he will want to stay here or not remains to be seen. It's good that Silas likes him. I believe he will probably sign with a contender, but I won't be surprised if he agrees to stay on a 2 yr deal which is flexible enough to be moved, if TF and Stone want to retain him. I believe Wall might be a big determinant in his decision.

joshuaao, fchowd0311 and Shark44 like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's not esoteric. 30 year old role players with 7+ years of experience are who they are, they don't suddenly markedly improve. Neither PJ nor EGo are comps, especially not EGo. Regardless, I do think you are right that he can put up good offensive numbers in Silas' system; I expect him to get around 15 and 7 if playing starters minutes, but he's been a career role player for a reason. I just anticipate his production falling off.

Plus, and this is not really what we're talking about but it probably also influences my perception, I don't know why his success here would matter. He's on a one year deal and even if he does turn into prime KLove overnight that will only hurt our future with the potential draft implications.

14. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Olynyk is a system player. Christian should learn from KO when he is in the post, passing or shooting wise

saleem and banzai like this.
  15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike James/Toronto 2005-2006.

napalm06 likes this.
  16. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

K.O. will be a very good role player to have if we can overhaul the roster between the draft and FA this summer. We have picks and vet players we can try to move. So if we can make some moves and go from being a team of oft injured players, young g-leaguers, and disgruntled players, to a team of young talented and bought in players, he would fit right in. I guess we will see.

joshuaao, banzai and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Olynyk > Oladipo.

18. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Luis-Scola reborn. The guy is fluid and has really good fundamentals. He is underrated 3pt shooter.... and he’s white!!!

RudyTBag and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has always taken about 12 shots a game, and been extremely efficient with those shots.

I'd kill to see him take 20 shots a night.

BamBam likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

Since on the court, I see lot of movement from including off-ball from Olynyk, which puts opponents on their toes and makes it easier on other Rockets players. The ball movement is contagious. Between him and Augustin, the offense looks better and seems to be more effective. From blowout losses to a competitive loss and a win.

If Olynyk plays well and Stone can get him on a longer deal, even if Kelly wants to leave, unlike Dipo, Rockets may be able to get a better haul (picks or another young player). If role playing vets can accelerate young core; there's value in that. Don't let a strict on an age timeline limit the team's options.