1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Off Season: Free Agents \ Buyouts\ etc.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Mar 25, 2021.

1. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

the KPJ effect

2. RLP55

RLP55 Member

Other than ridding the roster of a couple of guys, c'mon Wall go scope your knee already, I think the tinkering is done. No more additions. We need to give Wood, KPJ, Tate, & Martin as many developmental minutes as possible. Also blend in the likes of Brown, Wilson, & Olynyk. Show them some love from the organization for off-season signings. That's 7 bodies there. Gordon and Augustin make 9. Hopefully Exum can get on the court.

Hoping to sign Brown, Nwaba, and Wilson. Kinda like Wilson. Not sure about Olynyk, impressed with his play, but at what price going forward. Dont know if he has any interest in a rebuilding program. Depending on the draft, like a couple of big body prospects. Naz Reid or even cheaper Paul Reed would solidify the Rockets front court.

joshuaao and ilias like this.
  3. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I let him sit. He’s a nice asset to trade before start of next season. On a good contract. He’s gotta at least be worth an Ariza type return. At minimum.

Corrosion, joshuaao, ilias and 3 others like this.
  4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'd like to see this team stay aggressive in scouring development talent. I feel like we've given Anthony Lamb enough minutes by now to move on and look at other prospects. Same goes for Patton who has done some nice things but isn't ready, not yet. I know these are end-of-bench players, but if they're going to get minutes here and there during blowouts (mostly us getting blown out), mine as well keep circling the wagons and pulling up new players to 10-day contracts and see if there's any talent that's overlooked.

D-rock likes this.
  5. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

We have 3 million or so of wiggle room underneath the lux tax limit. I’d spend that from our NTMLE pool that we haven’t touched to lock him up on a. Multi year deal. He’s a big body who shoots the three frequently at a high clip. I haven’t watched him in awhile to know if his D is solid or not but should olynyk leave after FA this year he’d be a nice backup to lock in for next year and the future.

lionaire likes this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

Delete

#86 sydmill, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  7. conquistador#11

whose idea was it to give Gordon a contract all the way until he is 35 years old. So much harder in the NBA with the guaranteed contracts.

Best case scenario is KPJ, Cade, Wood reach their destiny and become blessed by the basketball gods and grow together. The money from Wall's walk in 2023 will be used to extend KPJ and Wood plus Tate. Gordon's eventual departure will net the team a couple of vets. It all comes down to their development. It's in fate's hands

#87 conquistador#11, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  8. Boston84

Boston84 Member

Any chance on an olynk buyout or no?

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Doubt it. He's the kind of guy organizations claim is a good influence on the youngsters. But he played so well in his first game that it literally makes me nervous about the tank.

10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We need to do like the Laker did in preparation on 2018 for Lebron and make sure all the big contract we have or acquire expire when wall contract expires. Summer of 2023 is our year to return , but I don’t know what big free agent is available that year.
    Theoretically, if KPj developed and our hopefully top 4 pick develops, and Wood keep improving we’ll have a fine foundation base when wall and Gordon’s contracts end. Imagine getting a Kawhi around that time . And we’ll have plenty of assets to trade to add another star with all those draft picks . That’s why I think Houston keep pushing all those FRP’s down the line so they can be used to bring in more talent.

that’s why I’m ok with Tilman being cheap for now. Stack your money cuz if everything goes as planned these next two season and you decide in 2023 that you aren’t willing to spend to bring a trophy to this team(again) I’m turning in my card. I’ll still be a fan but I’m heavily investing my money time and life in the rockets. I’ll just be a casual

11. Boston84

Boston84 Member

yea. Don’t worry he won’t mess up the tank. You’ll be good

D-rock, Williamson and chadyang like this.
  12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This is an insane hypothetical, and definitely a @BimaThug question.

Hypothetically speaking, if OKC were to trade us their 2021 pick that’s associated with the Houston/Miami swap — that therefore cancels the swap and we get to keep our own 2021 pick, correct? No more worrying about 52 vs. 48?

Would it be crazy to sacrifice Wood in some sort of Wood/filler for Horford/2021 FRP type scenario to ensure all of this tanking and doom & gloom at least results in a high end draft pick and franchise player?

....or even more insane, something like:

Wood + filler + Detroit FRP + Portland FRP for Horford + HOU/MIA FRP + OKC FRP (2021)

OKC still keeps GS’s 2021 pick, albeit protected, and gets a player like Wood that’s likely better than anyone they were going to get in the 5-8 range. All the while dumping Horford’s contract. Is this even remotely plausible?

Us, on the other hand, I’d imagine we only do this if there’s someone we really like in that 5-8 range. In theory, we could walk away from this draft with two players in the top 8. As for Horford, his contract sucks but he’s playable. Risky but worth it...?

13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The deadline has passed. The next time we can trade would be post lottery.

D-rock likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He is not much better than Jordan on defense and they don't need any other scoring, they need defensive presence.

Why are you creating a weakness to get scoring you do not need?

I think the Nets will in and well I just see LA and Blake getting major minutes come playoff time, unless there are injuries.

15. baller4life315

I don’t think that’s how it works. Pretty sure all non-playoff teams can make trades the day after the regular season ends.

16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

You're right my bad. I do think it's too high a price though but it would be possible to do.

baller4life315 likes this.
  17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I have to say I've been getting more concerned about Wood. He missed last game and might miss tonight with lingering ankle issues. This is a recurring injury this season.

Wood is not a bulky player at his position. He is going up regularly against guys 30-80 pounds heavier than him (if he plays tonight, he'll have to guard Valencunas who is at least 50 pounds heavier), and has to exert a lot of energy banging with them. His frame makes him susceptible to more injuries.

Going forward, will Wood be a 60 game, 28-33 minutes per game guy? Someone whose minutes we have to meter and occasionally give nights off to?

The only way I see this changing is if we move him out to the 4 and let him play more on the perimeter and use him situationally as a center. That would definitely help his longevity, but right now the team and FO has him settled into the C position which will probably cause these problems to recur.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't think OKC does that deal. They have no pressure to move Horford, as they are technically below the salary floor and can absorb a big salary like his (or other large salary if they find a better trade for him). They're likely looking at their own and HOU's picks as key building blocks going forward. By the time the teams can trade, they'll have a good idea at the range of picks HOU's will fall in if they don't win the lottery, and that will likely be too good a pick to just give up. Also, they won't want to deal their pick (unprotected) before the lottery.

Is it POSSIBLE? Yes. Is it at all PROBABLE? Not in my opinion.

jch1911 and baller4life315 like this.
  19. baller4life315

Thanks for the insight. Just trying to think outside of the box.

That said, I would feel kind of rotten dealing Wood after only one year. I do think the option should be on the table, though.

Nook likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Draft night.