1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Not a basketball ops expert but is it a good idea to give away swaps on your draft picks then tank?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Mar 29, 2021.

1. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

My area is really more in statistics than basketball operations, but can someone run down the logic behind giving up swaps on our draft picks to get a player, then trading the same player away so we lose games and the team we traded with can swap for our highly slotted pics? Doesn't that benefit the other team more than us? Maybe one of the experts in this area can break down the strategy.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Only we have have to right to swap the picks. If it turns out we have the higher pick we can choose not to swap.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Cleverly disguised Lin fan thread

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Darryl Morey channeling George Allen... "The Future is Now"

Stone is left to put it back together.

Who knows what really happened, but waiting until the deadline to trade Oladipo backfired on us.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The great thing is that Tilman probably thought this would be a good team. "We'll have 2 All Stars in the backcourt!"

Tanking is what ended up happening, but I don't think it's what they planned on doing.

6. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We got a bunch of second round picks from the Nets. I wouldn’t mind trading away some of our less desired players and use our second round picks to convert them in to first round picks. Using the same strategy we used with PJ Tucker.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

with Harden and health this was a clear playoff team.

WITHOUT Harden but with a brief level of health they went 7-3 in their first 10 without him. Wood was potentially heading to an all star game if he stayed healthy and sure they might have cooled down and only been fringe playoff good but indeed they weren’t tanking.

but tanking makes a ton of sense once the L’s started piling up.

now it’s thing that could be key to the speed of their rebuild.

8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You'll soon come to realise, Tilman Fertitta has no idea what he's doing.

ico4498, D-rock, darksoul35 and 2 others like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

yeah I agree with this strategy’s once I seen the Milwaukee deal, I though we should done this with all the vets

saleem likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

this feels like an ancient aliens type thread. i like it.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Every team has injury issues (and/or covid protocol issues). Not every team goes on a 20-game losing streak. That's a special kind of bad.

Plus, coming into this season, there was zero chance that Harden was actually going to stay, so that should never have been part of the assessment.

D-rock and jordnnnn like this.
  12. vince

vince Member

I think the Rockets were very high on the Wood’s signing. I think that they figured that pairing Wall with Harden was going to be very good too. There just seemed to be a lot of wishful thinking in the organization. And I do not think the Rockets thought it possible to be this bad! Simply no way.... at worst they figured they’d be a fringe playoff team.

i don’t blame them for being in shock and awe about the collapse.

But when they traded Harden, they should have figured that they were going to be in Dire straits. Now they risk getting a high draft pick for the abysmal season, and on top of that getting no high draft to show for it. Geesh....

But to be fair when they turned on Morey, they lost Harden, they just weren’t smart enough to know it. And I can’t blame them for that either.... But that’s life.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yeah, they never thought Harden would catch on to the fact that Tilman was cheap after repeatedly ducking the LT, not renewing Dantoni's contract and letting Morey go away for free. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

D-rock likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A one year tank is for the best interest of the team, a long term tank is not. If the tank is successful, the Rockets could be contenders again within 3 years. If it fails, the road ahead will be more difficult and will require more things going right.

BigM likes this.
  15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

The Rockets were definitely banking on being somewhat competitive or even middling because they don't own their draft pick. No one could foresee 20 straight losses and top 3 bad.

D-rock and chadyang like this.
  16. vince

vince Member

Sucks majorly that OKC has a very high probability of snatching that high draft pick from the Rockets. Could it be, Perhaps maybe a sort of poetic justice for gifting the Rockets Harden for 8 years of marvelous production? OKC has taken a lot of heat and ridicule for that trade over this past decade....

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's almost like our owner was too stupid to realize Westbrook was gonna suck, and didn't realize we would be tanking immediately.

slothy420 and napalm06 like this.
  18. Xopher

Xopher Member

Do you really think Morey thought we would be this bad when he made the trade? I realize the trade for Westbrook sucked, but at the time the swap itself wasn't a big deal. Why? Because no one ever thought we would be in this position.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

They knew and were well aware of the ramifications for getting rid of Dnatoni and Morey. They just underestimated much Harden cared about wanting to win. Tilman thought he could throw money at Harden to keep him content. He thought Harden only cared about his cash flow like he does. He realizes now that him and Harden aren’t the same

D-rock and vince like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It sucks, but going the tank route this season gives the Rockets the highest chance of keeping their own pick. I'll take a 52% chance of getting a top 4 pick over the alternative.

harold bingo likes this.