1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cade, Green, Kuminga, or Suggs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Mar 12, 2021.

?

Who should the Rockets draft?

1. Cade Cunningham - 6’7 PG, 220 lbs, 19 yrs old

414 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Jalen Green - 6’5 SG, 180 lbs, 19 yrs old

61 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Jonathan Kuminga - 6’8 SF, 210 lbs, 18 yrs old

33 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Jalen Suggs - 6’4 PG, 205 lbs, 19 yrs old

50 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other

44 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Buck Turgidson

Reeko likes this.
  2. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Yo. Can you sell first round picks for cash considerations?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with all what you said, apart from the Johnny Flynn vibes. Suggs is a steady PG. I think he will do well, but he doesn't have elite skills. Kuminga is raw, but I prefer him to Suggs with the 4th pick if we
    luck out.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been wondering this all season. There's people who do this professionally, and sure maybe we should trust them. But Suggs is the point guard for a motion offense. He plays on an elite team that has at least two, and perhaps 4 other first round picks in the starting lineup. In some respects, that makes it harder for him to showcase - he can have a mediocre or even a bad game, and they still win by 25.

I give him credit for running the engine, but he looks like a good (but not elite) athlete, and a good (but not elite) shooter. The defensive tools are there, but it's not like he's been out there causing havoc like Thybulle at Washington.

What gives you confidence that he translates as a multi-time all-star, which in my mind is what you aspire to draft for in the top 3? I see a very high floor and an immediate ability to contribute, but not sure the ceiling is all that elite.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You do realize Suggs is 6’4”, right?

That’s pretty good for a PG. If you’re meh on his ceiling you should probably be getting George Hill vibes. Definitely not Johnny Flynn.

Milos, raining threes and joshuaao like this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, if you don’t think there’s a difference between a 25 and 30 year old, then I can’t help you. There’s a good chance we can be competitive when Wood is twenty-seven and going into his second contract with us.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

And it's a coin flip to get top 4 pick.

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i really hope we get Green now. KPJ + Green is just a dreamy backcourt for the next decade.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not in my mind. In my mind, it’s Cade vs. Mobley without even a shred of possibility of getting the 3rd or 4th pick. I’ve also invented several trade down scenarios.

Maybe I need to pump the brakes a bit.

Mr Woods, D-rock, Amel and 2 others like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Interested to see Mobley v Oregon tonight, Ducks have a small but very athletic front court. Also, can you imagine the driveway hoops wars between him and his brother when they were kids?

Mr Woods and D-rock like this.
  11. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Better or worse than the Lopez twins? Or arm wrestling with the Gronkowskis?

That’s gotta be something else in recruiting - Isaiah was a 5 star recruit in his own right. And he was probably wondering if schools were recruiting him to get to his little brother.

That’s a unique situation since they’re only a year apart recruiting wise. The Harrison twins were supposed to both be stars, but I think are bouncing around China at this point.

12. Buck Turgidson

Tackle football in the Watt backyard?

If you listen to their daddy, the Ball brothers played 21 2000 times and none of them ever lost.

D-rock likes this.
  13. sydmill

sydmill Member

I'm really conflicted at the top due to how impressed I was with Kuminga in the g league. I probably go Cade-Mobley if I have 1 or 2 but I think Kuminga's ceiling is right there. Charles Bassey and Benedict Mathurin are 2 guys I'd love with the Rockets other picks though.

Mr Woods likes this.
  14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

For me right now

1. Cade
    2. Mobley
    3. Green

Again any of the first 4 will be a great pick

Now, we still have time to figure out:
    Does KPJ improve over the next 3-4 months?
    Do we see enough that makes us believe we can build around him?!
    If we do, who fits next to him?
    Wood can play with any of those three. I dont think KPJ and Cade could mesh..they might workout but probably not to their full potential.

Cade and Wood would be a sweet duo..but so would KPJ and Wood

KPJ, Wood and Mobley would be my favorite line up and KPJ, Green and Wood would be super exciting

15. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Evan Mobley’s father, Eric Mobley, had a cup of coffee in the NBA. His last season was with 1996-1997 Grizzlies. Among his teammates were two Rockets legends - Pete Chilcutt and Moochie Norris (in his rookie year!).

He also teamed with Roy Rogers, who was as assistant coach for several years. Roy Rogers never played for the Rockets, but was involved in a pair of memorable trades — first, he was acquired in the trade of Kevin Willis to Toronto, in addition to future picks that led to fellow Rockets legends Bryce Drew and Mirsad Turkcan. Then, he was traded to the Bulls for Scottie Quitten himself.

In the prior year, he teamed with Cuonzo Martin, future coach of sometimes desired future Rocket, Michael Porter Jr.

Thus concludes your 6 degrees of Evan Mobley.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

For me, I've been on the Mobley train since this thread started. I had him #2, but believe he's #1 for me now and Green has passed Cade. If we can't get one of those three, I'd be ok with trading the pick if we can leverage it into something good. Not real excited by the other two in the Top 5.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Tell me more about Green, as I admittedly know nothing about him.

raining threes likes this.
  18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i think it's going to go Cade, Mobley, Green in that order
    4th pick will be harder

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

6’6 shooting guard who’s hands down the most talented and gifted scorer in this draft. Very similar tool box that KPJ has at such a young age. Also has freakish athleticism to go with it.

Defensive awareness and weight are flaws. But makes up for it with a pretty good 6’8 wingspan.

If you have time:

D-rock and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

No offense or anything at all, but I've watched the first 2 minutes and all I've seen is him dunk 17 times on fastbreaks. Will watch the rest though.

You can teach defensive technique and schemes but you can't teach awareness and hustle. Is that a limitation for him? Does he have any passing/playmaking abilities (which is a huge plus for Cade)?

Again, thanks for the continued info. I don't understand how some of yall can follow the NCAA, GLeague, Foreign Leagues, and NBA at the same time, it's impressive and appreciated.