1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

LOL. Worst comp. KPJ is already averaging more at 20 in his starts than Crawford ever averaged, period.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm sorry I meant to say he's Jordan esque

harold bingo likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think that's a "ceiling". That's too low for KPJ's talent. He definitely can flatten out to Crawford who for his career was an above average 6th man of the year level player. But I think KPJ's ceiling is much higher.

4. fchowd0311

There is a wide gap between Crawford and Jordan.

And no one is saying that KPJ's eventual outcome couldn't be a Crawford level player. In fact it can be very likely. But that definitely isn't his ceiling.

cdain3 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

Ya Crawford didn't reach double digit ppg until he was 22 while KPJ already did that in his rookie season at 19.

Houston77 likes this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Not to mention KPJ is already averaging more assists per game than Crawford ever did. Crawford was awesome, but he’s a terrible comp to KPJ.

topfive, D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

What separates all-stars from super stars is continual improvement.

All stars will improve years 1-4, in time to get a max level rookie extension. Superstars keep growing and evolving their game, even as they get past their prime.

We shouldn’t talk about KPJ in terms of superstar potential until he gets past his rookie deal. Right now we just need to ask if he is progressing toward being an all-star.

I believe the answer is yes. He’s shown the scoring potential and the ability to create for others. Something else I noticed yesterday...his gravity. Even if he didn’t get the assist, oftentimes we were getting buckets because the defense was collapsing in on him. No other player, including Wall, had that same effect on the game.

8. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

If he continues to work hard his ceiling is whoever he wants to be. But I do think his floor is more like C J McCollum. If the Rockets can somehow pull off a Michael Porter Jr trade it will be exciting to see that duo.

9. fchowd0311

Love the potential of KPJ but the floor being CJ McCollum is pretty high. CJ is one of the best shooters in the league along With being able to create for himself. KPJ is more gifted but being a great shooter can make up for a lot of KPJ's natural gifts.

18pbr and saleem like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

MPJ is a Nugget for the foreseeable future, that train has left the station if it even ever made a stop.

DEN loves MPJ, at least the FO does.

11. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

He's up in a couple of years and they are already paying Jokic and Murray big time money. Gordon will only get more involved in their offense going forward. I think MPJ is one of next super stars in the league given the opportunity to be one, just like we did with Harden. Back injury scares me especially in a sport like basketball.

xaos and D-rock like this.
  12. alethios

alethios Member

It depends on whether we keep Wall or not. Keeping Wall as our starting PG moves KPJ to SG, but Porter is better suited for the PG role. I think keeping Wall will hamper KPJ's development.

D-rock and chadyang like this.
  13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What a wild thread. I love how different all these opinions are on him.

His passing is the thing that impresses me the most by a mile. His ability to run the offense, the ball handling, the pick and roll, the court vision, that stuff is all some of the best I've ever seen out of a 20 year old. And he picked it up so quickly, the difference between his first g league game and what he does now is incredible.

I just really hope he learns how to shoot, because a lot of these young guys never improve on that front. His overall fg% is actually pretty great considering how bad he is at shooting, because he is so good at finishing around the rim. If he can just get more reliable on that jumpshot he's really going to be a complete offensive package.

Defensively...whatever. Yeah, he sucks, he's also very young. We've also seen lots of title teams built around hiding a guard on defense (like, almost all of them in recent years?) so that part isn't a major concern. Obviously it would be nice if he got to be a good defender, but it's not really a requirement.

joshuaao, cmlmel77, topfive and 7 others like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, and even now he's not Damian Lillard or Steph Curry bad on defense. He just gets picked on due to his inexperience and finds himself out of position.

Rockets4Life13 and 18pbr like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kevin Porter Jr. is a Superstar Talent.

Only IF He Wants to be Among the Greats.

I want him to be more Focused this Offseason and make a bigger jump in Scoring and Assists.

He wants to be a Cornerstone Player. At 20 years old he is ready. He said it himself He wants to Control the Offense.

I honestly hope Cade Cunningham is Drafted by the Rockets. Cade and Kevin would work better together than John Wall.

18pbr likes this.
  16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

17. cdain3

cdain3 Member

I hope this is sarcasm.

18. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Agreed. I think he has the floor of a Tyreke Evans type player.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Should be happy with multiple 6th man of the year awards and nomination. You just have to be a very special guard to break through the next level.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Already top 10 in assists this season.

As a 1st time PG.

There is every reason to expect even more improvement in future.