1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin Porter Jr. - how good can he be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 28, 2021.

?

What is your prediction on KPJ’s career?

Poll closed Apr 27, 2021.
  1. Franchise player

93 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Borderline Allstar

150 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. Role Player

22 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Benchwarmer

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. i3artow i3aller

How does a more well rounded offensive game and better ballhandling impact his defensive ability?

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

It doesn’t. But you said you heard the “same noise,” implying they are similar prospects. That’s simply not true.

3. dmoneybangbang

Tough to say yet... I erred on the side caution and went with role player due to defense. I view KPJ like Tate, rising blue chip prospects on fantastic rookie contracts.

With the Dipo trade behind us, KPJ is going to be getting a lot of opportunity to run the offense. He's impressed with his playmaking and decision making so his biggest upside for is running an offense. The NBA is full of gunners now, but scoring and dishing is getting to allstar level.

4. i3artow i3aller

That's not what I was implying lol

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

SAY KPJ IS A FCKING MVP OR WE'LL KILL YOU

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Talking about how one athletic guard never learned to play solid defense does not mean that every athletic guard will fail to learn how to play solid defense.

Highly athletic guards with solid length who don't play good defense are the exceptions, not the rule. It's MUCH more likely that KPJ will be a decent to good defender than a poor one.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. i3artow i3aller

Perhaps. To date he's been terrible. I hope he turns out be awesome for Houston on that end but have yet to see anything that would suggest that. He's young still. Plenty of time to get better so long as he's willing.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean Green being a one dimensional player is why he never rose to star level. It wasn't his defensive ability that was holding him back. Harden was a mediocre to poor defender his 4 years or so as a Rocket and he was still a MVP caliber player.

9. fchowd0311

Terrible at what? Are you speaking of personal things like the alleged hitting a woman? Or on court? How is he terrible on the court?

Edit: nvm. I'm assuming you mean defense. He's inconsistent in defense. He shows lackadaisical tendencies but then shows he has quick hands and can move his feet well when he puts his mind to it.

10. i3artow i3aller

He's been terrible on the defensive end. Pretty self explanatory.

11. i3artow i3aller

Maybe this would've gone over better if I said he's a surefire lockdown defender in the making lol

harold bingo likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

You weren't quoting anyone and the thread title is about his overall potential so I didn't know exactly what you were referring besides assuming you were referring to the general thread premise.

Quote the comment you are replying to so we know the context.

mac_got_this likes this.
  13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

People might shet on me for this take but individual defensive abilities are not nearly important these days for high usage guards/shot creators.

Most of the time, the main ball handlers gets hidden on defense and guards the 3 and D guy in the corner unless the other team hunts for switches. Even players like Kawhi and LeBron are left to rest on defense on most possessions. And then you have players like Curry or Dame who have always been horrid on defense.

If KPJ aspires to be the main playmaker, he needs to worry about his offensive tools like improving shooting and offense IQ more than defense. On defense he just needs to understand the system and where to go and give effort. I think half of defense if defensive IQ rather than raw abilities.

If KPJ does somehow become an all star on offense, he will be surrounded by players like Beverley, Ariza or Tucker like Harden was.

Edit*

I will add that this theory is not true for centers. So Wood better shape up his defense before anything else. Centers anchor the defense at the rim, you cannot be an all star center and have horrid defense.

14. i3artow i3aller

My bad. Assumed people were actually reading the comments.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm not sure where these points are going or coming from.

I think Baller was saying just because someone has physical tools and athleticism doesn't mean they are likely or capable of becoming good defenders. Some guys defensive IQ just isn't there. I was just clarifying that he was talking about defense, and never made an argument here about anything else.

I did have a post in this thread, in which I said Jamal Crawford, I think that is a good ceiling comp for KPJ.

Big-time shooting inconsistency (goes both ways), poor defensive IQ, too skinny, good handles, good slashing ability, good athleticism, can hit shots at tough angles, can hit off the dribble, is a creator offensively for himself and teammates.

That's what I'm seeing from KPJ. He's young, he could develop into much more, or he could never grow and just never have a good career, who knows.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

KPJ's frame at 20 has more muscle mass than any point in Crawford's career and he is a more explosive player and he seeks his teammates more.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's not a carbon copy but that's my ceiling comp for him at this point.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Jamal Crawford at age 20(same as kpj now) averaged 4 points a game and shot 35% from the field, 8.5 PER. Next!

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I would be quite happy if KPJ can become Crawford level player. I think it's definitely an attainable goal

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  20. cdain3

cdain3 Member

You're a terrible judge of talent lol.