1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There is too much Rockets hate right now.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nook, Mar 26, 2021.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Rockets are about to hand away a Top 10 pick to OKC. In no way is our rebuild looking good. We have many years before even remote relevance.

chadyang and Downtown Sniper like this.
  2. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Or it’s maybe a favor to a player agent? Agree there has to be more we’re not privy to.

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Only thing worse than hate is indifference, at least some people still care.

topfive and Nook like this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You talk as if we have a competent owner.

What has he done in 3 years to show you he will correctly handle a rebuild?

What's more likely, is he continues cutting corners with the Rockets and saves every penny he can. Ie. We aren't going to be relevant or good for a very, very, very long time.

5. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

They never should have traded for him in the first place. Should have kept the players they got from the Harden trade.

6. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Tonight we saw our own future...

The Twolves had 2 #1 overall picks playing tonight. KAT and Anthony Edwards. In fact they are filled to the brim with successful picks.
    KAT and Edwards are great #1 overall picks.

The wolves have only *1* above .500 season since 2005. 16 Years of Tanking.

YET they are still last place in the NBA.

You tankothon lovers have your wish - the Houston Wolves. Enjoy.

PS: Prior to this year the Rockets were only below .500 one time since 2005. 15-1.

#106 SuperKev, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    joshuaao, riko, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  7. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

For me it's just not a choice... I love basketball and I love the Rockets -- my brother did this to me as a child. It's the only game in town for me. I can give up the Astros (not a huge baseball fan really anyway) and the m'f-ing Texans, but not the Rockets, unless I'm giving up sports completely I guess... Having been a fan since around 1970, I can wait out these little blips lol... They'll be good again... someday... but yeah the Tillman years have been rough so far, for sure... Gonna enjoy rooting for Wood, Porter, Tate in the meantime, and forget about wins for now...

Time to be a sports prepper, and hunker down in my fan survival shelter...

joshuaao likes this.
  8. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

NBA competition is brutal. Hopefully makes folks appreciate what we had for so long... If you can't find ways to appreciate that, then you're in for a long depressing fandom...

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

fair point that u don’t want to perennially tank. But a couple bad years and some good draft decisions can lead to long term success if you have a great owner and talented GM; and I’m not just talking about hitting on high lotto picks. Just look at how Golden State built their dynasty.

there are examples like Minny and there are examples like Philly. Hinkie “may have been early but he wasn’t wrong”.

#109 Aruba77, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We are well on our way to hitting rock bottom, but may not have found it yet. The draft lottery will decide that.

Stone has made some good value moves so I will agree that the jury is out on him (and Silas). However, there have been no signs that the Rockets understand why they got here or that they know how to get out of of it. Until there is, my opinion is that Tilman is one of the worst owners in sports, and they deserve every bit of hate they get right now until that trajectory is shown to change.

I think Porter has a chance of becoming a rotational player. But that sentence doesn't mean foundational player. We need a foundational guard from the draft.

joshuaao and RLP55 like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It is as if we, the fans, have been deliberately targeted for punishment by an owner led conspiracy simply for having the temerity of being fans of our Houston Rockets. How sick is that? Pretty ****ing sick, in my humble opinion.

joshuaao likes this.
  12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The odds are enormously against a smooth rebuild, I don't even know how to really argue something quite so obvious. If it could all explode and you wouldn't raise an eyebrow, pray tell, how is it not as bad as it seems?

The truth is undeniable. It's exactly as bad as it seems.

So the desperation of people who are touting the it's-not-so-bad take is pretty stinky. This owner tore through a relevant team like it was his sole purpose in life. We've lost maybe the greatest individual Rocket ever. The returns were meh and we traded meh for bad because, why, the owner still hasn't saved enough money? Jesus Nook, tell me why you think this will EVER turn around, much less why you think it already has?? Wood, Porter and a 52% chance. Like 3 little toddlers on a beach staring down a tsunami with the lifeguards telling us it's not as bad as it seems. The lifeguards are desperate.

Der Rabbi, joshuaao and SuperKev like this.
  13. SuperKev

Funny you should bring them up...
    They had to tank for *5* seasons and get very lucky. This tragic scenario for the fans is basically the best outcome possible for tankathon lovers.

DM and many others have shown you can build and win at the same time. In the current climate there is no reason for 5 seasons of hell. Under your best case example Rockets fans will endure hell until 2027 and could be much worse.

14. SuperKev

I'm hoping our management is smart enough to avoid many years of utter hell.

You seriously think Zion Williamson will stay with the Pelicans? Anthony Edwards stay with the Wolves? They are developing these players for big market teams and often go through a decade of torture for the opportunity to see them walk for more money and rep Nike.

burlesk likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

does anyone seriously think Zion Williamson will come to Houston? :D

Der Rabbi and SuperKev like this.
  16. SuperKev

I think of it a bit like the draft lottery with the huge market teams at the top and the rest with minimal odds. Then again occasionally they have family and friends or were childhood fans of a team etc. Sometimes lightning strikes.

BUT there is a difference... The difference is it usually takes 4 - 8 extremely bad years to draft a top pick that turns out to be a star.
    However in non-tank scenarios you can repeatedly offer max deals to those players every year with no loss of time and essentially no risk. Worst that can happen is they turn you down and you move on to the next target.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tilman be all like

"what is this max deal of which you speak?"

burlesk likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you think it's too much now... NEWS FLASH... my hate GROWS every single day.

joshuaao and napalm06 like this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah I don't think we've yet seen Clutchfans fully turn on Tilman (this thread being evidence). The worst could be yet to come!

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I cant believe anyone ever liked him. I guess maybe he has the UH alumni fooled.

napalm06 likes this.