1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Means nothing. Beard bailed on his UNLV contract after like a minute and a half. He’s a ladder climber and I’d guess very obtainable if Texas wanted to go that route.

raining threes, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I wouldn’t say it means nothing. But we’ll see if there’s any beard UT buzz soon enough. Next season isn’t exactly screaming leave Tech immediately if we’re looking at both teams

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. OpportunityCost

I would love to see Beard at UT. Finally a coach that is a great strategist. Penders, Barnes, Smart, not so much. Beard would be a super hire for UT and long overdue.

tinman and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

5. Buck Turgidson

If they can't get Beard or Musselman, I'd love Ivey. In my total dreamcasting perfect world of nonsense, you hire John Beilein, bring in Ivey as his top assistant and "long-term coach of the future". Lets Ivey reacquaint himself with the college game and recruiting while Beilein stabilizes and builds the program for 5 years or so. Although college and HC experience hasn't stopped Juwan Howard out of the gate.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

not in love with Bielin in any capacity.

Ivey is interesting but it depends to me entirely on what kind of network he can bring with him with in roads to recruiting.

Juwan’s stature as a former NBA player and alumni of Michigan basketball is obviously much more high profile than Iveys. Much easier to open doors to top prospects homes you’d think if your name is Jiwan Howard than Royal Ivey. You and I know and respect Ivey as a former Longhorn baller and meh nba role player but does the 16,17,18 year old kid? Even if Texas based?

I’d put the order as:
    Beard
    Altman
    Ivey

but if Ivey is hired definitely think he could succeed Will give him benefit of the doubt for sure.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

What's you beef with Beilein?

Ivey may not have the notoriety Juwan does, but he can go into any recruit's house and say "I wasn't the most talented or most recruited guy, but I made it, and I can show you how." Plus, he'll have KD helping him recruit ;)

Altman comes with some PR baggage that I'm not sure would go over well, but other than that he's a hell of a coach: https://www.si.com/college/2017/12/07/dana-altman-oregon-kavell-bigby-williams-investigation

#787 Buck Turgidson, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It could pay off if Ivey has a plan to get Durant move involved in recruiting and offseason workouts at Texas. They’d also be able to spend freely on assistants due to Ivy’s lower salary demands.

I worry that Beard’s teams would have offensive weaknesses similar to Shaka’s... Tech games are slogs and they usually drag an opponent down to their level offensively. That wasn’t as obvious in the national championship game against Virginia since the latter excelled in playing a molasses-style offense.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Appears UT fans give no fuc.ks about the women's team. Great game today and congrats on making the Elite 8. The Maryland girls were some disrespectful beeatches and I'm surprised they weren't T'd up a couple times - yelling at UT players, pushing UT players, stepping over UT players while they laid on the ground. Game started 9-0 Maryland and Horns made a comeback after being down majority of the game. Gutsy win by an underdog.

#789 Houstunna, Mar 28, 2021
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Taylor, Warren, Lambert and Charli held up! Great game defensively! Gutsy performance. Cannot wait until Tuesday!

Houstunna likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Beard runs the offense at Tech that he does because of talent limitations. He's had 1 player sniff the NBA since he's been there (Culvert) yet he wins. I don't hear fans or players complaining about Sampson's teams at UH.

What I've heard as a maxim recently, and I like it, is that as long as a coach can install a system, scheme for opponents, and make adjustments; effort takes care of defense and talent takes care of offense.

eta: Sand Aggies have ranked 6-6-3-3-3 in Offensive Rating in the BigX? during Beard's tenure (according to https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/texas-tech/)

#791 Buck Turgidson, Mar 28, 2021
    mtbrays likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I watched college men's hoops and UT baseball today, that was enough on my plate. Statesman has excellent UT women's coverage (as does LHN) so I do keep track.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Reading up on Beard, sounds like roster turnover has been an issue for the offense as well. Been talking to a Tech buddy (who loves Beard

Per IT, Ivey’s interview was only 15-20 minutes so make of it as you will. Could’ve been more of a meet and greet type situation.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You know the length of Ivey's interview? You sound like an insider or at least you're privy to some very detailed information. Please share anything you're willing to through this process?

Side note: My sister used to drive Royal Ivey and James Thomas out to the zoo every other day for a class out there. Neither had a car and my sister had a job out there for the summer so they carpooled. She said they were both pretty nice and the only detail I remember is that Ivey used to talk about how he imagined my sister's farts would sound because she was pretty small. I'll confirm with her today.

Edit: It was not Ivey that made up stories about the sounds my sister's farts would make, it was James Thomas that did that. Royal would laugh though. She said that Ivey was pretty quiet and shy.

#794 don grahamleone, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  15. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, he's had to rely on several juco guys and transfers, roster turnover is the downside of that.

16. gucci888

That is per Inside Texas. My guess is that it was more of a meet and greet than a full blown interview.

17. gucci888

No love for swimming?!

18. Buck Turgidson

Saw it in the paper. Coach Pierce summed it up pretty well: "There's Eddie, and then there's the rest of us."

19. gucci888

Beard is expected to meet with UT today. Wonder if Roy Williams retiring is going to throw a wrench into things.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

UT needs to hire the best coach period.

They don't need to hire someone because they are a UT graduate, they don't need to hire someone because they are a great recruiter. They need to hire someone that has a system and culture and can coach. The game has changed, the 5 star prospects are more and more going to the G-League or overseas and soon will have even more outlets to avoid the college game all together.

If UT starts winning games in the tournament, they will get good players in the long term because of the size of the school and resources. Ultimately players like Jarrett Allen, Greg Brown, Kai Jones, Jaxson Hayes and Mo Bamba's of the world do not mean a damn thing with the stay mostly one year and are very up and down. Yeah it brings excitement to the fan base, but for the purposes of tournament wins it means nothing when they are off to the NBA before really making a big difference.

DVauthrin and Rudyc281 like this.