1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Victor Oladipo trade a big disappointment in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thanks. clearly the Rockets - 1) overvalued LOLadipo when acquiring him and 2) overvalued LOLadipo when deaccessioning him.

Doesn't inspire confidence in the new regime, hopefully they learn a lesson

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for this! listening now!

dcfma, don grahamleone and sirjesse like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do I even want to listen to this? :D

chadyang likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Dave and Dave coming down kinda hard on Woj lol "Rockets propaganda"

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Can't wait to listen.

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

Listening now. Agree with Clutch that the deadline did not inspire confidence in Stone et al. I dont think yesterday was ever going to be very impactful for the Rockets long term but I agree that the way things went down (especially with the Rockets setting expectations high with those leaks) makes it look like amateur hour to some degree.

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

bimathug making a good point that lower draft picks may be worth more once high schoolers are back in the draft pool in a couple of years, pushing good qualified college players further down. hadn't thought of that

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

BT: “Royce White of trades.”
    C: “They felt on Sunday/Monday they had a good market for Oladipo.”
    C: “They ultimately felt this return was better than what they could get in a S&T and placed a value on moving Oladipo now so they free up develop minutes for Kevin Porter Jr.”
    C: “We’ve gone from a smart organization to making a couple of boneheaded costly moves.”
    C: “Everyone in the league knew Oladipo wanted to be in Miami. Why didn’t the Rockets know this?”
    C: “I wouldn’t even say a dime. It was a nickel on the dollar.”
    [Both agree they did better for Tucker than they did Oladipo]
    C: “[Do you think the Magic got better return for Fournier?] I do.”

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A great post!

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

This could have been worse IMO. I'm entirely convinced that if the Heat pulled out on the last second we would've thrown in a pick to get it done. Now that the dust has settled and we can see the cap sheet, it's clear what this trade was about: the almighty LTS.

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

Listened to every word. Thanks guys! However, the one thing I will say is that I am not sure how much credit you can throw at Stone for Tate given it was almost assuredly Will Weaver who is responsible for that move.

saleem likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@BimaThug thx for doing these podcasts. Love hearing your voice.

Comment: at the 28min mark you guys are comparing this trade to PJs, and as you’ve pointed out before, the value of late 1st round vs early 2nd is not just higher pick, but also not needing to dip into MLE. Just wanted to add that this concern of 2RP dipping into MLE is not really a concern for a tanking, bottomed-out team, who is purging their roster around youth.

Any youth-movement team has enough MLE for 4, 5, or 6 “Hinkie Specials” for rookies and RFA’s coming off Two-way contract each year. It’s the contenders who want to spend the bulk of an MLE on a single vet free agent who have problems with dipping into MLE’s for 2nd rounders and undrafted players.

I’m recalibrating this worry of dipping into MLE to our status as non-contender, youth movement team this summer.

For this summer, I’d rather spread the MLE across 4-6 Hinkie Specials, including stealing a young, two-way RFA player from a team, than put all my eggs in one basket on a $8-9m player who creates issues with signing even a single Hinkie Special

long story short, the only value of that 2021 swap of our 2RP for MIL’s first is the value of earlier pick. The MLE issue is irrelevant for a Houston youth movement this summer.​

#13 heypartner, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, but he did listen to him.

15. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m pretty busy but had to take time to listen to this podcast. Thanks Clutch and Bima for doing this.

needless to say I appreciate u calling this trade deadline what it was: Royce White.

I like KJ Martin, Tate, KPJ and Wood. It’s fair to point out those moves as reflecting positively on Stone, but yesterday was a complete debacle. I was always pushing for us to get a deal done ahead of the deadline because I’ve seen us come up short waiting it out till the last minute too many times. And what I didn’t appreciate about that is we lost the opportunity to get any value for kelly O and Bradley. I don’t understand why we wouldn’t have left ourselves time to move those guys to another team. They are vets that are just gonna take minutes away from our young guys.

anyway, it is what it is. I’m not gonna be able to watch the team tank this year and I worry a lot about our ownership and front office, but I guess we finally have the draft to look forward to....or not?

DonatelloLimestone likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not a cheerful podcast, but not a cheerful time to be a fan. Living in Utah, I'm going to my second Jazz game of the season tonight (not by choice, work group is going). Watching them reminds me a lot of the Rockets 2018 season, and it's painful.

Moves like this make it hard to be a fan even if you're only rarely watching games at this point. Let's hope like you said that any pretense of contending which led to the Oladipo trade in the first place is now gone... and let's hope we win the lottery, otherwise it will be a bitter pill on draft day.

#17 napalm06, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    TWS1986 likes this.
  18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying this forever. Do not try and deal with Miami! It's not an organization to do business with at all. You will not get the player you want unless you hand them your Balls on platter. Tillman will not get Tyler Hero unless it is by free agency or trading Wood or KPJ. They were not going to get anything of value for a player that was just going to sign with them in the off season anyways. That's all there is to it. Stone needs to learn this.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

They already under the tax. It saved them all of 2M lol I dont think it was about LTS at all.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dun get hiw Morey got blackballed from trades but Miami and OKC keeps getting away with murder every time.