1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

UT Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dubious, Oct 12, 2006.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Don’t be so sure. UT is losing a ton of their players and they definitely need a reset. There’s definitely a good chance he gets fired. More so than not

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So you're arguing the "won" a shitty conference and were overrated? Indeed.

Texas still gets the "they're Texas, let's rank them higher" love from pollsters despite half a decade to a decade of meh'ness in basketball/football.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is like if Herman fell into a Big 12 championship this year due to COVID. It's a nice accolade but can you really base your decision on it? It's not he perfect comparison but when you go back and look at the full body of work and trajectory, I think CDC/Hartzell could very well decide to make a change IF they can line up a replacement.

mtbrays likes this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget the Moody Center is opening in 2022. There needs to be some kind of buzz around this program to fill up the new arena. Does CDC really want to commit to giving Shaka another chance to restock the roster when it's painfully obvious what his ceiling is as a coach? It'd be great if CDC could give Shaka some glowing endorsements to prospective hires so that UT doesn't have to eat what's left of his contract.

The women's basketball team is in the Sweet 16 after beating UCLA last night in Vic Schaefer's first season in Austin. Del Conte hired a proven, successful name to run the women's team and the about-face Schaefer has led is impressive. Why keep doubling down on Shaka when it's now clear that 2011 was a flash in the pan and he can't develop talent needed to win a single tournament game?

YOLO and gucci888 like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

Doesn't change the fact they did those things.

Except it was the whole Big12 that was overrated. The conference had like 6 teams in the top 15. This wasn't a case of ranking Texas because of its name. Texas beat some teams everyone thought were really, really good this season.

I'm not arguing whether they should or shouldn't fire Shaka. I'm saying they won't. If Herman fell into a B12 title this year, they wouldn't have fired him either.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

[got me on the edit]

CDC, you are now on the clock.

and Kai Jones is heading to the NBA, if that hasn't been mentioned

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Of course he knew he was about to get canned. Good for UT

9. Major

Major Member

He wasn't about to get fired. That said, given that most of the team was leaving and the team would likely not be very good next year, good chance he'd get fired a year from now. Smart to jump to another job while he can.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

This is good for all concerned. Shaka gets a homecoming for a landing spot at a basketball-only school with a disappointing recent history and Texas gets to avoid firing him and owing him the entirety of what's left of his contract.

Do we go after Chris Beard? Dana Altman?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

he definitely was. the writing was on the wall and he already knew it. you can keep trying to say otherwise but anyone following this program regularly knew it was coming

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Didn't Beard just sign an extension with Tech like a year ago? I think hes a pretty good coach. He's intense and is all about accountability. Gets his guys who play hard and emphasizes toughness.

13. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Yeah I don't see the argument that he wasn't going to get fired. What sense would it make to allow a dead man walking to start recruiting a new class when the season is probably going to be disappointing, his performance was underwhelming and there's a new arena to open in a year?

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

15. mtbrays

Supporting Member

You are correct: Coach Chris Beard, Texas Tech reach new 6-year contract agreement

I don't know how much that matters in this day and age, but I would be surprised if CDC doesn't go after an established name like this instead of the "up and comer that everyone wants." Shaka was the latter and chose Texas over UCLA. I said it earlier, but CDC hiring Vic Schaefer shows me that he will go big game hunting before he goes for somebody unproven on a big stage. Then again, he hired Sarkisian so what do I know?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I wonder if UT would have any interest in Gregg Marshall

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What fortunate news!! lol

big name hunting seems the way to go with this hire.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I don’t see CDC taking on Pearl’s baggage nor do I see UT going with Moser since he is another hot mid-major name. Shaka was the big mid major name when UT hired him and I doubt there’s appetite to go down that road again even though Loyola is performing well with Moser. Plus Texas doesn’t have a Sister Jean equivalent and we know she is the reason why Loyola performs so well.