1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thousands of unaccompanied minors cross into U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by asianballa23, Mar 16, 2021.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

you must have a very short term memory of what happened too all the so call asylum migrants camping out in Mexico during the last Presidency.

2. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

You really buy that bs and naive? You think all those money will help get rid of all those 3rd world country's poverty and gang issues?

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Excuse me if I assume incorrectly you are Asian.

Maybe you should avoid eating at most restaurants, including Asian restaurants. I don't think I have ever eaten in an Asian restaurant in which many of the staff were Latinos. Only use citizens for yard work or child or elder care.

Next thing you will be complaining about violence to Asians?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  4. adoo

adoo Member

u need to look in the mirror

cheke64 likes this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

6. glynch

The GOP have been such fups on the Covid Virus and on the economy, except for getting the government to pump money into the financial system Gradually all but the most ideologically blinded are accepting that the whole supply side, trickle down scheme was a fraud or at best a failed economic policy leading to economic suffering for the majority. Gays and recreational drugs don't help them get folks to vote the interests of the .1% like they did before.

All the GOP has is their usual appeal to racism and recently it is becoming more embarrassing to be so open about it, so they have switched to emphasizing immigration as a substitute, though their hero Trump publicly wished for more immigrants from Scandinavia.. Making it even worse for them is that with their attitudes something like 78% of all new citizens vote Democratic so they have to keep doubling down.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

No, I don't think that all the money will be rid of poverty and gang issues. I do think it will incentivize those countries to keep their people from leaving because they want to keep getting the money. Also, it already worked when Obama and GW Bush did it.... once the aid was sent out, the number of asylum seeks fell by over 70% and continued to stay low.

fchowd0311 and B-Bob like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That's just like, data, man.

Amiga, Nook and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like I said before @asianballa23 and posters like him aren't posting their concerns about these migrants because of jobs or unprotected borders. It's purely based on a desire to have a group of people to punch below them. That's it. There is no other motivation outside of that and when that is your sole motivation, data doesn't matter. They aren't looking to problem solve. They are just looked by for something to satisfy their narcissism and when narcissists don't have much perianal accomplishments to be proud of they find ethnicities and races to punch down.

Hence Lyndon B. Johnson's quote -

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

adoo and NewRoxFan like this.
  11. glynch

One of the sadder things about the so called crisis on the border is that the same folks who obsess over it are the folks who traditionally have supported the brutal coups, repression, civil wars and horrible economic injustice fostered by their oligarchs and enthusiastically encouraged by our oligarchs, which leads to the migration.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. glynch

Great quote by LBJ. Never saw it before.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Also, just an observation but for all the news coverage and claims of this being a crisis; there has been VERY little real substance on the entire issue. The overwhelming majority of people, even politically educated people really do not understand the history and what really has and is happening.

I am FAR from an expert on it, and I have tried hard to educate myself on the topic. However, when I speak to many well informed people they really do not know.

First, the overwhelming majority of people trying to cross the border to enter the USA are not Mexican. I have heard numerous people grumble about Mexicans. They are in the vast majority from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. These three countries have been hit hard by COVID, they have very authoritarian governments and the countries are very corrupt.

Second, there are messages to "come to USA" in these communities that appear to have originated from sources other than these nations or the USA. Places such as China and Russia are trying to sow chaos for the USA. Chinese hackers have been very active the last 18 months hacking into US companies and Western European countries to sabotage western businesses and sow distrust and anger with consumers. The point being that this is in some part not an entirely organic movement.

Third, the US border patrol is sending away adults and families. They are NOT sending away children and that is based on US law that President Trump did not follow. FWIW US policy is similar to many Western nations. There are about 15,500 children that are under 18 that are currently being held or have been held prior to resolution.

Fourth, Judge's (both Republican and Democrat) are finding that the asylum claims of children are valid about 95% of the time and the children are granted asylum. The reason the number is so high is that the vast majority are valid asylum seekers.

Fifth, it is true that many asylum seekers believe they have a better chance of being granted asylum under Biden than Trump. The basis for that is the hostility Trump had towards immigrants at the border and also that Biden is following the law and letting children be housed prior to court dates.

Sixth, the historical data shows that a majority of those seeking asylum do not intend and will not live on government handouts for very long. We have a long and strong history of data that shows immigrants in general, and especially immigrants from the US Southern border find employment and do not receive government benefits long term.

Seventh, this is not a new issue and it has been considered a "crisis" a number of times in the past but didn't get as much media coverage. The situation at the border has spiked at least a half dozen times over the last 45 years. Whenever there is chaos or natural disaster, the amount of illegal immigrants attempting to enter the USA goes way up and then back down.

Eighth, historically this has been an issue with no clear solution so both parties have for the most part left it alone and not made it a topic. There have been times when it has been a regional issue, but both parties at the national level have down played it until President Trump.

Amiga, adoo, glynch and 4 others like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

LBJ really understood the lower middle class and the poor white people in the USA better than just about any President that I can think of.... he came from them, he lived like them in many ways and was like them in many ways. Trump captured some of that as well, but I think a lot of that came from Steve Bannon.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. glynch

16. Nook

Nook Member

17. glynch

LBJ grew up in a house without electricity in the Hill Country as it was not economically profitable for the private companies to do it.

His first job was at a "Mexican" school and he was upset about the conditions there.

Nook likes this.
  18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Substance? I remember when American cared about 'where's the beef?'. Now, it's just mostly fauxy and fauxy that.

Nook likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's true even here in the upper Midwest. I've been to Asian restaurants including the chef working the Teppanyaki grill was Hispanic. I and the grill chef got a kick out of me placing my order in Spanish.