1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets traded James Harden for nothing.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Mar 25, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on what hand you currently have.

Sometimes folding and waiting for the next hand is the right move. See Doyle Brunson.

You hold onto Ben Simmons okay? I'll fold and bide my time, and save my chips.

Let's see who wins.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's not nothing. It's better then that, it's the mystery box.

chadyang likes this.
  3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Can't wait to see a bunch of BKN 15 year vets at the age of 35, two of whom have significant injury history "making a deep run". Reminds me of the Pierce/Garnett/Allen experiment.

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nets are unlikely to bottom out. Teams only do that when they know they have a 1st waiting for them. If they don't then they will make moves to acquire vets to win enough games to push into the Playoffs. Like the Rockets would have done if we didn't have protection on the pick we owe OKC. We would have been trying hard to win games this year instead of tanking.

pippendagimp and BossHogg713 like this.
  5. gogispade

gogispade Member

Wrong OP. We traded him for Olynk and Bradley

chadyang likes this.
  6. thekad

thekad Member

Somehow this ends up so a transaction can never be evaluated. How convenient!

Can you get your “Giannis was taken with a non-lottery pick so we have to bide our time until we know how valuable this 18th pick we got from the Nets in 2027 is.” post out the way now or do we need to wait another six years?

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I joked previously that Tilman was so bad, he would run this organisation into the ground and we'd turn out to be Knicks 2.0.

I'm sorry New York. With how horrendous you've been, I still think it an insult to you to be referenced in the same sentence as Tilman.

There truly cannot be one person left on here who feels good about the future of this franchise knowing he will never sell the Rockets.

#67 Downtown Sniper, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  8. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You're exactly right. We should have done what the Pelicans did with AD and put the focus on grabbing immediate talent over future picks. Then, maybe in two years, we can be the 11 seed and already shopping the headliner from that deal.

The bottom line is that when a star player wants out, your team is boned. You can whine about it on the internet and complain that Stone sucks, but there was no return that would make this board any less volatile. You think this place would be sunshine and unicorns if we had Levert and Allen right now instead? The whining and moaning would just shift to "we should have grabbed players that Stone could flip at the deadline for more assets."

The market that everyone imagines for superstars does not exist. And then everyone gets pissed when these teams don't make the trades that are invented on the internet. Even when a team loads up (as NO did), they most likely are still out of contention for the near future.

James Harden was traded for the most draft capital in NBA history. It's not fun to be a Rocket's fan right now, but the only way we had even a remote chance of coming out even was with far-in-the-future draft picks. This trade cannot be properly evaluated until we see how these picks turn out.

9. riko

riko Member

The Knicks are on the up and up ..

10. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Yes, and we’ll be talking down the line about the real prize of getting a super team by flipping the best guard in the planet.

11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Have we forgotten how we got gifted KPJr. for nothin? Just like we got gifted the beard for nothin 8 years ago... oh sorry for a guy that’s not in the picture anymore. Yule C

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Evaluate away, my twisted panties friend.

Just don't underestimate the value of unprotected picks 5-6-7 years into the future.

You stated that those picks have "barely any" value. That is short-sighted.

Indeed, how I wish we played poker together. :cool:

13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Tremendous post.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  14. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

You're right, it isn't moronic to wait to evaluate a trade until the full value has conveyed. Rather, that is the only way to evaluate the trade.

I'm not defending the trade, I'm not giving anyone a pass, I'm defending the use of reason and common sense.

Whether you like it or not, you really have no idea what will become of the 9 or so draft picks we have from the trade. Feel free to continue acting as if you do though, no shortage of hubris around here.

15. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

You're looking at a couple cards in your hand and thinking you know what cards you'll be dealt 3, 4, 5 hands from now. I'd love to take your money

16. thekad

thekad Member

How does someone make a post so dumb with so much confidence... It’s amazing to see.

Here’s a handy tip: if you don’t know what ‘present value’ means, don’t post.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They should have sat his ass until they could get something for harden. Instead they handed the nets a ring for nothing.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

And here is a handy tip for you: The "present value" of unprotected 1sts that are 4, 5, 6, and 7 years into the future are far more valuable than "value (barely any)".

Perhaps don't post until you understand that fact, eh?

SkareKrow and Zen Tabak like this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LMAO.

Just stop.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  20. thekad

thekad Member

What’s the team? What conference? How good are their players? How old? Are they declining? Do they overly depend on athleticism? How dedicated are they to the team; were they drafted or did they choose to go there? Is management dysfunctional or cheap? Are those real picks or swaps? If they’re swaps, ask the same questions from above about the team with rights to the swap.

Those picks barely have value. Stop making dumb posts with confidence.