1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj : Victor to Miami?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 25, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Underrated - we got LOLynyk for LOLadipo

J.R. likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

He still better than Olynk and Bradley, that's the point.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/olynyke01.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bradlav01.html

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm saying the swap could work out but those 2nd round picks are for sure close to nothing. You can pick up better players off the street, which the Rockets did. I'd much rather have a first round swap than two low 2nd round picks, easy.

I'm also saying OKC made this same gamble with Russ. People then said "That pick won't mean anything, Rockets will be better and so they won't swap..." so much for that. Russ is close to being washed up while Harden left the team...and now the swap has tremendous value.

While it's possible Miami's pick is worse than ours so no swap occurs, it's also possible that it isn't. But we know two low 50 2nd round picks usually amount to nothing.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But this isn't a trade where the Rockets were trying to get someone better than Oladipo, because of his situation, this was impossible.

You can't even get equal value back on all-star players, teams rarely do, teams trading all-star players are usually just getting back scratch offs hoping one pans out.

No one was going to trade their young starter on a rookie contract for an Oladipo rental.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Miami has pick 16 right now and have lost 4 in a row. They have pretty rough schedule to finish the season too. There is no guarantee they make the playoffs this year or next. We could swap Brooklyn's pick for a lottery pick next year. I'd rather take that possibility over 2 guaranteed seconds.

The Rockets now have stock in Mil, BK, or Mia having a down year over the next 2.5 years. It might not be likely but 2.5 years ago the Rockets and the Warriors were the best of the best in the West.

JayGoogle likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oladipo will benefit if he chooses to dial it back a bit, play D, look for easy opportunities and not try and score 20.

IMO that was the problem here. Not sure if it was because the Rox suck and he had to try and step up, or because he is deluded and thinks he's all that. But he looks to me more like a guy who should play off others, rather than try to be a focal point and there weren't too many other options here. Good players around him will make him look good, if he lets them.

But I can imagine a scenario where he chooses his spots more, and looks like a much better player, unfortunately. He's still notably quick and a good leaper. Maybe not as good as he was but still better than most NBA wings.

Hopefully, he thinks he's MJ and destroys whatever chemistry there is in Mia, but I'm not sure that's what happens.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all the 2 second rounders are net positive. Jokic was a 2nd rounder, as well as a lot of guys the Rox drafted that turned into good players over the years. The swap is a conditional. Bruh Rox are literally breaking records for worst losses you think they will be better than Miami by 2022??????? In what universe will Miami be a lotto team and the Rox won't next year? Even if a swap occurs it has to be a dramatic difference what if it only improves the pick by 1-2 spots? We don't know.

How you know the 2nd rounders will be 50 range? The picks could be high or low as well we don't know. At least OKC has two We don't knows that's better than 1. And in the worst case they get to keep 2 low 50s picks thats better than 0.

Finally the 2 second rounders don't make Miami better. I dont care what you say Dipo is better than Bradley and Olynk. In the worst case the Rox not only get 0 cuz the swap isnt used, they also make Miami better so our pick is worse. LOL just stop.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well too bad they now have Dipo to help them out, right?

You might think he sucks but he def better than Bradley and Olynk.

9. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

The only, only way these Harden and Oladipo trades will work out "in the end" is if Houston gets a top-3 pick. Had they kept LaVert/Allen or had Oladipo been productive then at best this team is a play-in seed, ruining their chances at a top pick.

The odds are still pretty bleak to keep the pick for this lost season. Very worst case, which all Rockets fans should prepare for, is Oklahoma City wins the lottery and the Rockets' pick lands at #5. That would be a significant setback, and would hopefully NOT result in panic signings to try and "compete".

If the Rockets lose their top pick to OKC then they're probably going to have to trade Wood at that point, which they still might either way, but you'd rather they hold on to their gem of an asset for as good of a return as possible.

Neither Harden nor Oladipo were particularly good trade pieces when you factor in their trade demands/desires and injury history. Wood would bring back much more in a trade than either of Harden/Oladipo.

___

Best case scenario is Houston wins the lottery and can breathe a little bit. Still a chance either way that they try and trade their other two first round picks to move up a little.

If the team continues to suck over the next few weeks, which seems likely, then I'd anticipate a draft night trade involving 2 of their 3 first round picks and possibly Wall, Wood, Tate or Martin.

Stone didn't do himself any favors at this deadline, except that agents and players may respect the organization for trading players to their "preferred" destinations, as was the case with Harden and Oladipo, and possibly with Tucker.

Let's hope Porter is the real deal, but let's really hope the Rockets get lucky in the lottery.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I never said get someone better than Dipo. But Olynk and Bradley are straight up worse and make our pick with Miami worse as well.

In such a scenario it is better to keep Dipo and see if you can still get that swap in the offseason via sign and trade.

Or you know, trade Dipo for 2 second rounders which is def better than a maybe swap with Miami.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Teh 2nd rounders belong to Philly right? They will likely be very very low.

Yes, great players can be drafted in the 2nd round, but it's not as likely.

Also, I'm not arguing that Dipo isn't better than the players we got, I'm saying he did not have value because of how he played and his contract status and the entire league knew he wanted to play for Miami...this along with his injuries...and I think people were really kidding themselves thinking we were getting any good players on rookie contracts for that.

If Dipo came here, played all-star level ball, then yes...but he didn't. He was terrible, out for more than a few games, and is a rental for every other team not named Miami. Thus, his value was low.

We simply were not getting Herro for him. Heat wouldn't even trade Herro for Harden how then could anyone expect them to turn around and trade him for Dipo?

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can’t wait for Clutch’s assessment. And hopefully he includes his take on how the rebuilding process is going.

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

But damn couldn’t we have at least gotten Nunn? Heat have too many guards now.

14. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

If I’m understanding it correctly, we have our own pick AND Brooklyn’s 1st round pick in 2022. Either pick is eligible to be swapped with Miami next year. It could mean we are able to move from Brooklyn’s spot at the end of the first round up to Miami’s spot.

It could be the difference between picking in the teens and the late 20’s, if I’m understanding it correctly.

sydmill and JayGoogle like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe if there were more than one team really wanting him...but Dipo played terribly.

Teams were interested when he got here...and lost interest the more they saw of him...and then everyone knew he wanted to play for Miami.

So for the Heat it was "Take what we give or get nothing." The rockets took the swap, maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. Miami isn't exactly lighting up the NBA right now.

16. BunkoBenny

BunkoBenny Member

Thought they'd get a late first at best or two high second rd picks at worst for him. Not saying he is going to return to All-star level but I suspect Oladipo is going to look much better in Miami than he did in Houston. He goes from a team you can argue is the worst in the league if not top 3 worst to a team with a top 3 coach in Spoelstra, recent success, and two dogs in Butler and Bam. In Miami he goes to the place he wanted to be all along and gets to play with much better players all the while not having to be the first, second or perhaps even third option on offense. If this does not motivate him then nothing will. If it does not work out then the Heat simply do not re-sign him this summer as they gave up nothing of significance. I imagine they will probably sign Aldridge once his buyout is complete with the Spurs. As for Houston in the grand scheme of things the only thing that matters is the ping pong balls as it relates to the draft and securing a top 4 pick, ideally top 2. Call me crazy but the 2021 draft and how it shakes out for this team will be the most important draft since 1984.

sydmill likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

As @gmoney411 said, all we're doing is investing in teams future. If one of these teams has a bad year, we take their ****. The more teams we invest in like this the greater chance one of them slips up and has a bad year and that could be huge for us.

Htown Legend likes this.
  18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If he can stay healthy. Plus midseason trades rarely help improve teams very much. If VO is the big get for Miami this year and next we are in a decent position to get lucky with their pick this or next.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

If they didn't do the trade Miami wouldn't have gotten anything.

Midseason trades don't help teams much? Any help to Miami is bad considering its a deal Rox didn't have to make. Who care what happens after this seadon Dipo is a free agent he can sign with Miami or wherever regardless. Just for this year helping Miami go from Olynk and Bradley to Dipo is just bad.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

And what are the chances Miami swap gonna be worth more than 2 second rounders? Also be very, very low.

You are making false arguments lets say Dipo value is low is his value so low he ain't worth 2 second rounders from Philly?

Dipo makes Miami better thats a fact. Dipo as bad as he is better than Olynk and Bradley that alone is reason enough not to trade him to Miami if the swap is all you are gonna get.