1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Norman Powell would be a great fit for the Rockets moving forward. Low maintenance shooting guard that can knock down 3s and hold his own on defense. That's the perfect complementary player for KPJ and Wood.

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Powell is 28 years old and he wants at least 20 million a year? What if we give up 3FRP for Powell and Siakim and trade Oladipo for young assets and give it too Toronto(ATL young assets) Also, we need to tank this year and we would be ready for next year

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Powell is a borderline lock to decline his $11 million player option for next season, raising a pressing dilemma for the Raptors,” wrote Zach Lowe of ESPN.com. “Powell is going to get capital-P paid; executives expect a $20 million annual salary.”

sirjesse likes this.
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Not anymore. Rockets aren't paying him 20 a year.

saleem likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like Normal Powell, but only if we move like 3 other guards first. This team is so GD guard heavy it's mind boggling. I also worry about his huge pay day that's coming at the end of the season. Not convinced he's the guy I want to pay that much money.

BHannes2BHonest, rkh-dog and ashleyem like this.
  6. sydmill

sydmill Member

Would totally depend on what the Rockets are giving up for me. If he comes in and doesn't upset the tank this season but can help win games next year and mentor the kiddos then I am all for it.

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah we are. His name is Eric Gordon

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yet it seems like half of CF was eager to trade Harden for this dude as the centerpiece of our new team.

[​IMG]

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I take that to mean he'll be traded before the game tonight, there's simply no reason to run him out there and risk injury.

jakedasnake likes this.
  11. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

But I thought he was worth a 2nd round pick Woj and Windhorst?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

JuNx likes this.
  13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

sirjesse and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

@D-rock can't win! Don't trade for this scrub!!!

The title says "in" serious talks, text below says "had", and it's 2 hours old. Smoke screen, that's what it is.

joshuaao, JuNx and Nook like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thank goodness it didn't materialize. I was vehemently opposed to it.

topfive likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

This is just my opinion...... but the Rockets are going to try to compete next year if at all possible.... and I base this one a number of things.

First, Tilman Fertitta needs fans in the seats starting next year because of COVID and issues in his other businesses. Also Tilman has said in the past he isn't a fan of rebuilds.

Second, even when the Harden deal was being discussed there were also reports of the Rockets trying to get back other good veteran players for him, that isn't something that the Rockets would do if they were rebuilding

Third, look at the Oladipo trade. The Rockets took on a veteran player and tried to extend him. Now there have been discussions with the Rockets targeting veterans like Aaron Gordon and Norman Powell and even others.

Fourth, trading for and signing Norman Powell does not prevent the Rockets from trading him down the road as well. In other words the Rockets and Stone keep their precious flexibility.

I think a short term rebuild is foolish, but it actually could work if the Rockets get someone like Cunningham in the draft.

I have been critical of how the Rockets have conducted business the last year plus. However they also deserve some credit for what they have done the last 6 months. They have signed a 25 borderline all star in Christian Wood, they have essentially added a potential all star in Porter for a meaningless second round pick. They have signed Tate and he has played very well and they also drafted Martin Jr in the second round. He also traded the best player in the world but he added a lot of future assets....... so to a degree he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

If the Rockets end up with Cunningham or Mobley (25% chance right now of that happening), and he has Wood and Porter.... and Powell, then that team isn't winning a title but it is very well on it's way to being a contender possibly..

Also consider that Powell has a 7'0" wingspan and fresh legs..... Porter has a 6'11" wingspan.... Wood has a 7'3" wingspan.... and Mobley (7'5"0/Cunningham 7'1")...... so that team could cause issues for other teams defensively as well.

BigMaloe, SC1211, jch1911 and 17 others like this.
  17. sydmill

sydmill Member

I wish that there was more to a possible ATL deal then what I can find. I think Okongwu would be a tremendous addition. Barring that I have my eyes on Precious. I like AG but I am not sure about moving picks to make that deal. I am hoping the Rockets have ammo to move up after, hopefully, picking in the top 4.

18. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Collins is staying in ATL, I believe they want Oladipo to help there playoff run this year. I like their assets

Nook likes this.
  19. sydmill

sydmill Member

I agree with everything that you say here. Absolutely feel like TF is going to mandate they move heaven and earth to win next season. While I disagree with that course, I think it is not impossible that the Rockets can speed up the timeline IF they get that top 4 pick. Why do you say 25% chance? At this moment they are still in the 52% category for picks 1-4, no?

20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Significant draft compensation scares the crap out of me.