1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Sources: Houston Rockets progressing in talks to trade Victor Oladipo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 23, 2021.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

good point.

futilman and saleem like this.
  2. jjc1

jjc1 Member

I hope this is true. This is like the "Final Call to all GM to submit your Best Offer". Remember last time Morey was upset that Stone didn't call him back for a final offer for Harden?

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't even care gif.gif

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This is exactly what I’m hoping for

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

saleem and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In my world, and like many corporate Enterprise level sales jobs, leveraging tactics like this are used all the time on negotiations. Yes you might be technically talking... but it could be weeks with a prospect that you have a proposal in their hand, and you cannot talk shop on that proposal directly because it could weaken your hand, and cost your company 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars if you are a weak seller.

I don't doubt that Stone talks to Miami and NY officials all the time about alot of things, but I doubt it is at the Pat Riley level, and I doubt it pertains to a proposed offer that was stuck in the mud... directly.

If Stone has a set price from Dipo, and that price was proposed and stuck in the mud with a Miami/NYK, and then Stone in any way seemingly signals a lowering of that price in order to get Miami/NYK back to the table for a counter, it then could potentially lower Dipo's offers around the entire league. It would be like if I had proposal for 100 hours of services for Pepsi for 2 million dollars on the table, they paused their signing with us, and I went back to them to see if they would be interested in 100 hours of services for 1.5 million dollars.... then I run the risk of when I have a bid with Coke, someone from Pepsi leaving Pepsi to go to Coke, and knowing that we actually do 100 hours at 1.5 million.

I think you would be surprised at how cautious GM's are in how they engage with other GM's about these career defining trades for a GM.

don grahamleone and saleem like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Posturing from Mr.Stone so he can get a decent return. He might settle for a better deal than PJ's to the Bucks. If he doesn't like any offers which is more probable in my opinion, he will try to retain him. TF may not object and hope that Oladipo will recover to good health. They did offer him a 2 yr deal for 45 M, if I recall correctly.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Oladipo basically confirm that that was a fake "offer"?

9. dobro1229

Me too. I just have to assume that Woj probably did some homework before posting this especially with a full article for context.

saleem likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't recall that.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

12. dobro1229

Everyone knew that it was an offer that was the maximum that the team holding Dipo (the Rockets in this case) under the rules could offer, and that the offer was lower than he was projecting to get as a free agent. So it was a given by all sides that he'd turn it down. I wouldn't classify it as a "fake" offer by any stretch, but it was one that was likely to be taken as a goodwill gesture, and one that Dipo probably was thrilled to see because it confirmed what his agent had probably been telling him about what offers he was going to get him this Summer.

RudyTBag and saleem like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

"I coulda been a contender! I coulda been at Hertz... or even Avis!"

14. dobro1229

touche... but yeah Enterprise Sales is a common term for a sales person who works with larger organizations on larger deals.

FYI Enterprise Rental Car is one of the worst starter sales jobs in America.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Rockets and Heat have an interesting dynamic most trading partners don't. The Heat owe their 2023 pick to OKC but it's top 14 protected. Houston should try to get those protections removed in exchange for OKC giving up the swap.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

First off: it deserves its own thread
    Second thing: why don’t you care?
    Third bit: do you care about anything?

Shark44 and hakeem94 like this.
  17. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Bricktor Oldiaper on a pu pu platter who wants it?

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care about anything Bill Murray.gif

19. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Pretty confident we will get what we want. There's about to be an arms race amongst these mid tier east teams that simply can't compete if they don't try to load up, silver lining from the Harden trade really.

hakeem94 and sydmill like this.
  20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Meh, this sounds like leaks from Houston to get teams to up their offers.

I doubt this **** does anything.

B-Bob and Rudyc281 like this.