1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Sources: Houston Rockets progressing in talks to trade Victor Oladipo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 23, 2021.

1. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

What a great reference.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Shoot I'd do:

1. Wall, lift draft protection from the 2025 1st Rounder for Horford and Hill

2. Trade Horford and Hill to Boston for Kemba Walker and 2 1sts

Boston gets an immediate upgrade in their starting lineup with Horford and Hill, OKC gets a high pick in this year's draft, we eat Kemba's salary for the next few years but net two 1sts in the process.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Not to mention going rogue, not getting Wood involved and keeping KPJ on the bench.

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don’t really care about if we just get a second rounder or expiring contracts

We need to give Porter & Martin as many minutes as possible for next year and Dipo could keep us from tanking believe it or not

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Are you with the team? Why would you think this?

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Seems pretty obvious that Stone leaked this out there to Woj to basically tell the Knicks and Heat.... "Look... if you want to lock in your free agent signing now, you need to offer me more than a first round pick and a young player."

Stone is telling them that he has a deal or deals in place, but obviously would want to do better... and the way that he does this is trying to engage the Knicks and Heat who could spare more value if they viewed this as not just a rental but as and early Free Agent signing.

The risk here is that Stone has a goodwill offer from another team, and that other team now sees they are just being used to leverage greater value, and that trade takes that personally, and moves on. In the process, Stone could lose a willing trade partner, and get screwed at the deadline when the Knick, and the Heat pass/decide to take a chance on free agency... then the market for other Oladipo partners dries up.

7. dobro1229

I'll add another point that it could be that Stone basically has no serious offers on the table at all, and is bluffing to try and get the Knicks and Heat to make a bid.

Have to say though that Woj probably would be skeptical about posting this then, and if he sensed that, he probably would seek other intel to confirm. Woj knows that if he posts that the going rate is a first and a young player, and Stone ends up trading him for a 2nd round pick, and a bad vet contract, it'll hurt his credibility.

So I doubt it's a bluff if it's got the confidence of Woj.

Deckard, Deuce, Mr Woods and 5 others like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nothing pissing off team mates more than a guy making 30 percent of the payroll, who is a shell of his former not that great self, chucking the ball 30 times in a game and not passing the ball especially when you are the PG of the team.

Did you know that Harden only attempted 30 shots or more in his career 18 times and his lowest scoring total was 40 points with an average of 51 points? Wall had less than 20 points on 30 shots.

#48 rockbox, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Deckard, Hui, Patience and 2 others like this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I really don’t understand this conclusion. Why would Stone go to WOJ? Stone would just tell other teams the highest offers directly.

houston19519 likes this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Let's wait and see what we get first

topfive likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why do we need another older veteran near all-star caliber pg who is going to hog the ball?

That's just going to slow the development of guys like KPJ and if we are lucky Cade.

True Rocket and steddinotayto like this.
  12. dobro1229

It's very likely that Stone last engaged with both teams weeks ago, and both indicated they are good waiting to take their chance on free agency. Going through Woj is his way of using channels without sounding desperate. He also would see this as a way of shielding culpability if he locked in a deal with another team, then went to Miami and then Miami went back to that team and said.... so I guess you don't have a deal... and piss that team off.

Egos, and posturing. That's why you use Woj to get the message out on things like this to get teams to make a move.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, I seriously doubt this. I bet Stone is on the phone with teams constantly.

Patience, Amel and don grahamleone like this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

He better be gone!

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I just want picks man lol. If we can move Walker down the road even better.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

- Hawks insider

Hui likes this.
  17. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

That's why Stone is our GM and not some of you. You would have traded Dipo for 2 second rounders ages ago. It was obvious there isint much talent on trade market and Dipo is one of the better players available. It was only a matter of time before some of these so called contenders (or so they believe themselves to think of) are going to get real pressure.

For all it matters i won't be surprised if Wall is traded and is/was being constantly showcased, hence KPJ wasint getting playing time.

Hui, bballjunkie, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope so, but I remain skeptical . The only team that might really benefit the most from him are the Lakers until Bron is back.

19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why would OKC do this? Wouldn't they just trade with Boston and get the frps?

joshuaao and steddinotayto like this.
  20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member