1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DJ Augustin and roster construction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCity9495, Mar 23, 2021.

1. ClutchCity9495

Thought when DJ came into the game, he brought something of a calmness and floor leadership with play last night. I would actually like this experienced type player to teach KPJ more then Wall. He is not our savior by any means, but in the post saw earlier about need a good roster mix and can't all be young players, this is type of veteran like on the team for leadership. He is also from Texas, so more apt not want to leave and seems like the kind of player that could help develop this foundation to win. Not sure what is market is before trade deadline, we can't trade both him and Wall as we need a PG and I'm a bit concerned with Porter's current injury has he doesn't look as explosive the last few times he played. Glad he sat last night, he also needs sit next game get treatment. Another reason keep Augustin is he doesn't have to start like Wall does. This gives you the avenue to start Porter. I would like PG to be Porter, Augustin, and emergency PG in Sterling Brown. If we could get Wall and Oladipo traded out of here, it opens up things for appropriate playing time. Also, who is blocking KJ Martin....House? Not that House has shot well, he is a better shooter then Martin. Tate still needs to work on his shot. I think Martin's role needs to be Tate's back up at PF. So if we could get a Wing shooter at SF at trade deadline, we would have better offensive efficiency. Wilson may not be bad, and seems he is being groomed as Wood back up if he shows he can play.

C- Wood
    PF-Tate
    SF-Acquire trade or draft
    SG- Draft or trade (Gordon if stays)
    PG- Porter

Bench:
    C- Wilson
    PF- Martin
    SG- Brown
    PG- Augustin

This tells me you need Wall, Oladipo, and House to exit. Possibly Gordon if get a taker. We need to add 2 players that our good enough to start from the draft or via trade. The 2-3 seem to be the position as we need pure shooters and also that winger needs to be a 3 and D profile. Who is currently being rumored in trades, or what draft picks fit that profile. Augustin is the veteran presence and behind the scenes guy. We can also draft a replacement for him down the road. So Draft hope bring back SF, SG, and PG. Also need a third Center for depth as Wood could be injury prone. Be interested to hear at these positions who fits the profile via trade or draft that is realistic. AG not coming here. House does have a reasonable contract, is he a part of this going forward. Do we think Stone/Tilman consider Wall a star going forward or should we move on, not feeling Wall as a Cash Cow for this franchise. Seems like a good player, but seems as if something is missing from his persona to get a team like ours to a title. I feel like that type of Alpha is still missing. When it comes to taking the last shot, Wall is closest personality we have that will take the burden. I think Wood would take it, but seems like days of Olajuwon and Malone taking these types of shots have swung to the Harden, Lilliard, and Mitchell types.

Rashmon, Nook, anchel and 8 others like this.
  2. ClutchCity9495

Please keep in mind, this thread is in need of reality opinions. I don't want any 2K roster builds here...LOL...what is actually a reality.

wolstein likes this.
  3. wolstein

wolstein Member

DJ is a very competent backup PG. I wouldn't mind keeping him. He should have a role in a rebuilding team

DaDakota, hakeem94 and Rocket River like this.
  4. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

Liked what I saw last night from him eventhough he only played on limited minutes. Thats what Point guards do. They pass the ball and make plays

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

external-content.duckduckgo.gif

BigShasta, Sean Dr34ms, Nook and 4 others like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You thinking Wall will exit is a nonreality, 2K roster idea.

Wall and his 132 million dollar contract aren't going anywhere until at least 2022.

7. mightybosstone

This was pretty much going to be my response, too. I think the problem with Augustin is he may end up being superfluous because of Wall's immovable contract and KPJ's potential. If given the choice with paying him $8 million a year or Wall $40 million+, I'd take Augustin as the "veteran leading PG of the rebuilding team" over Wall in a heartbeat.

Given Wall's injury history, though, I could see Augustin riding out the remainder of his contract here or at least sticking around until the next trade deadline in 2022. As a UT grad myself, I always wanted to see him in a Rockets jersey. I just wished it would have been a team that actually has some potential. He came on board a few years too late.

Shark44 likes this.
  8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, we are stuck with Wall. I do love Augustin as a backup, we just have too many guards on this roster. At least a couple need to go...

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Never in my life would I thought a thread dedicated to DJ Augustin, Houston Rocket point guard, would have existed. But here we are.

Cokebabies, hakeem94 and sirjesse like this.
  10. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

He's the only true PG we have. Rest of them look for their shots first. I think if DJ sticks around, he will be great for KJP's development.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Contract notwithstanding, Wall still has value as a player IMO, just in a 6th man capacity. He plays too stupid and unhinged IMO as a starter. Like if just inject him when nothing else is working or when the other side has primarily bench players in, he would probably look a lot better.

hakeem94 and groovemachine like this.
  12. ClutchCity9495

I keep hoping we get the Moneyball scenario like when traded one guy that was blocking the other guy cause Billy Beane wanted him to play Hattiburg. We don't get Wall out of here, not sure Porter starts if hellbent on him being a PG.

13. ClutchCity9495

I want a PG that makes others better. I don't think Wall does that. He has talent, but doesn't seem to have that trait.

Rashmon, DaDakota and FrontRunner like this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Roster construction around DJ Augustine

lol

awc713, MIAGI99 and groovemachine like this.
  15. ClutchCity9495

I don't think you get the point, not saying to build around him, but he brings something to a young roster. Kind of like when Les Alexander first deal said was significant, and brought a role player in named Mario Elie. This is what I mean by this. He also doesn't block Porter like Wall does.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I was just giving you a hard time friend

ClutchCity9495 likes this.
  17. ClutchCity9495

LOL, yes I know was some good sarcasm...either way in what is a dull season for us fans in a rebuild, it is exciting to think ahead and play GM on what might happen, we have to have something to look forward to as this has been a tough year. Not sure Silas will be a good coach yet, but what he has went through, you can't help to feel bad for him. I think he deserves more time as not been fair. Don't think many coaches could win with what has happened.

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Very true, Wall would be great as a 6th man. Score first point off the bench for 20-25 mpg. Since his contract is practically unmovable right now, he essentially relegates Augustin to 3rd team once KPJ is healthy.

19. ClutchCity9495

Wall will not accept that role.

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He's not a player coach, he might have to accept it next year. Otherwise he could play off the ball with KPJ at the point, EG and Augustin running the 2nd team. Either option would have potential imo.