1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think identifying and defining "sure fire talent" is an art and a science. We have little to no recent history of being able to do that in the draft. The other approach is acquiring a known talent that has some risks--could be injuries, could be expiring, etc.

Building a team will likely require us employing both approaches. All I'm saying is don't focus on one at the detriment of using the other to build the team.

PiPdAdY33 and Aruba77 like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Dipo x PJ Washington/Monk/Zeller/1st rd pick (works)

The TPE of Harden trade of $10.6M applied.

Buy we can kick in House/McLemore/Sterling Brown to help make it work. Take PJ Washington out. Some maneuvering for a deal there possibly.

Monk is expiring contract as well, I believe, and Dipo plays that position

Something like this works (kick in Harden TPE if applicable)
    https://tradenba.com/trades/qPSViWiYM

#1722 ApacheWarrior, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That trade would send away 40% of their starting lineup in Washington and Zeller. For a team that is desperate to try and make the playoffs I don't think that's a move they're willing to make, especially for a Victor Oladipo rental.

Either you're overvaluing Dipo or undervaluing PJ Washington, Monk, and Zeller,

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

You can’t combine trade exceptions with trade. They can only be used I traded by itself

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Does Dipo x TE ($10.6M) work? 1st rounder?

Hornets can absorb a !of of payroll like the Knicks. They are currently $105M team salary

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No I'm the one that has been saying we might get 2nd round pick for months now. But the trade exception, Ball got hurt, Dipo has averaged
    25 points a game in the last 7 games, like I said he needed to do in March, Hornets payroll of $105M & ripe to pluck.

There is a deal there to be made.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You can make it two separate trades.

Dipo for X, Y, Z
    TPE for A

This way it's legal under CBA rules.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I have the TPE. I think they are so worthless, but if those smarter than me can make them work.....then more power to them

9. Bobby Jackson Rules

We need to keep dipo. That guy can bring us one or two 2nd round picks right now, but keeping him will accomplish top 4 pick in the draft.

Bo6 likes this.
  10. steddinotayto

There's always a deal to be made but your proposal took out 3 players from their current rotation for a rental that doesn't really swing their chances in the playoff race.

Losing Lamelo didn't torpedo the Hornets' offense because he was scoring--it's because he's a genius at setting guys up and playing very good defense. Both things Victor really don't do all to well. As for his 25 ppg, he's taking about 20 shots a game to get that number. That doesn't sound good does it?

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

The problem with keeping Oladipo is that he inhibits the development of younger players. We need KPJ to get minutes, and with Dipo he'll only ever get 15-20 mins per game. Let's hope we're able to get something of value for him - something tells me this trade deadline will be much less eventful than people were predicting with Lowry, etc. All getting moved.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

I'll be happy to get a couple of 2nd Rounders for him or send him to the Knicks for Frankie Smokes, Knox and Burks. Burks is for salary matching purposes and Frankie Smokes is a bust but Knox can still be salvaged into a serviceable role player.

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I guess not real legs until Woj or someone reports it. Its been rumored before why i posted it, seems like denver keeps getting drag in because of Harris, and there ability to burn a pick because of there need to compete. Let me refrain its probably not worthy but it does keep in perspective of maybe whats being tossed around out there.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So I guess nobody else is seeing it either.:D

Mr Woods and sydmill like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

if Dipo is somehow still here after the deadline, then L’s all around for the whole FO

I still have faith he will get dealt, so I will hold off on really going in for now

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I say get whatever you can for Dipo, he's absolute trash.

If all you can get is a second rounder, do it.

sydmill and ashleyem like this.
  17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

tbh my thoughts are that victor rides the bench and expires here. Its pretty sad thou they cant get atleast a 1st for the dude and send him to miami where he likes to go, plus the heat need the scoring, and defense. Its either the media has drag his trade value so low, they would rather keep there young crew and picks, because they want to look to the future, and dipo is not that. lol

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You didn't read the part where I said we can throw in House/McLemore/Sterling or take out some (meaning Washington)?

We can even throw in Tate if need be. He is an undersized power forward undrafted for pete's sake. People wonder why we are losing, try undersized
    as the number 1 reason.

It's not like their offense is anything without LaMelo. 40% of nothing is 40% of nothing. Dipo averaging 25 points per game in the last 7 makes up for that crap they are sending out. Monk averages 12 points

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you consider recent history?

Because I can name a couple of guys since 2011.