1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Today was the first time I seen Wood look visibly mad at the end of the game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

You have a really low threshold for what a franchise player is. He is 25 year old, not an all-star, and this is the first year he's seeing starter minutes. I am not denying he's talented, but to call him a franchise player? come on now.. This is equivalent to saying Kristap Pronzingis is a franchise player.

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I mean, why don’t the anti-Wood fans ever make actual arguments. “He doesn’t have a signature move” (his TS% is sky high), “he gets pushed around on defense” (he’s rated the 4th overall defensive player on 538 RAPTOR), “he doesn’t have a signature move” (kinda weird argument to make against a center shooting 40% from 3 with a high TS%).

Rockets4Life13 and D-rock like this.
  3. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Well I agree Wood is that "3rd star" type of player (and yes Bosh is the easiest comparison; I wouldn't even say he's Bosh "light" necessarily since the type of production from that "3rd star" doesn't require superstar prerequisite). The other apt comparison would be "Capela-plus" since he's got great range (though Capela's defense in some matchups might be better).

I don't really get the point of not having a "signature move". Karl Malone didn't have a "signature move". Anthony Davis doesn't either as far as I am aware. What both did have was great mid-range and were competent in the pick and roll. That's what Christian Wood seems to be as well, so maybe midrange is his "signature move."

I still say trade him to a contender since the return would probably be better than what was had for Harden, plus he came here to play with Harden. Wood's value right now, I think, won't get any higher.

He might develop further into next season and increase his trade value, but he also might sulk and demand a trade, thus lowering his effective value. If there's a great offer on the table before the trade deadline this week then I hope the Rockets seriously consider it.

peleincubus likes this.
  4. Houston77

Supporting Member

No, Harden just spoiled you. He wasn’t an All-Star because he was injured. His advanced stats are absurd, his defensive rating on RAPTOR is absurd, and he just score 27 points on 16 shots while shooting a crazy clip from 3. But hey, I’ll defer to the thoughts of the guy who can’t seem to bring up a single stat.

pippendagimp, joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m sorry that you took my questioning of his “franchise” status as being anti-Wood.

6. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

What exactly is this stat that you're referring to that makes him a franchise player?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Repeat after me
    YOU DON'T WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE A #1 PLAYER TO GET THE #2 and #3 players!!!

If Wood is a solid #3 at worse. . . keep him
    a #1 could say . . "I could play with Wood"
    rather than "ssssssooooo I have to carry the whole f*cking team on my own"

Rocket River

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Too early to crown him a franchise player. I'd be very happy if he becomes the second best player of a championship contender. He is 25 years old and before he joined the Rockets, he has not averaged more than 25 mpg in his first five NBA seasons.

Maybe he will turn out to be a franchise player someday. Maybe he is one of those rare late bloomers. At this point, if Christian Wood is your franchise player, you are going to be a perennial lottery team.

joshuaao and Rockets21 like this.
  9. Houston77

Supporting Member

Is Embiid a “franchise” player? Give Wood 18+ shots a game and he’d put up similar offensive numbers given his TS% and 3 pt%.

10. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

Embiid is certainly a franchise player. There is no objective standard to who qualifies as a franchise player is and isn't. Christian Wood averaging 18 shots a game isn't going to make him more of a franchise player than what he is now. A franchise player is simply someone that is consider a cornerstone of a franchise. Someone who you build a team around and someone that can take team to the next level. I personally don't see him as a franchise player and certainly haven't seen any other fanbase referring to him as a franchise player, considering no one kept him. I'd trade 10 Christian Wood for a Joel Embiid.

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

So, as before, you don’t have any actual argument other than what you “see.” Very compelling.

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

LOL! actual arguments? You made an assertion that he is a franchise player and I said he is not.
    LOL! what is this actual argument that you made? Site the TS % and 3pt 3% to establish Christian Wood is a "franchise" player? Is that really the standard you use to judge if someone is a franchise player? I cant provide you with an objective standard on why he is not a franchise player any more that you can provide some object standard on why he is a franchise player. And it's way more than statistics my friend.

I am providing links to couple of article that talks about franchise players. One goes back to 2008 so I am not sure if you recognize some of the players on here. But this gives you an idea who the basketball community considers a franchise player.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/67825-who-are-basketballs-true-franchise-players

https://hoopshype.com/2020/05/30/nb...antasy-draft-giannis-luka-lebron-durant-zion/

I don't agree with some of the players on the list, but oh well. Additionally, franchise players are given a max or super max contract. Not the 3 yr 41M Wood is making. If he turns out to be a solid piece for a championship team, i'd be happy. But to crown him a franchise player, it's a pipe dream.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

The argument for trading/not keeping Wood or acquiring other young players like Wood is inane.

The tank for picks crowd is going to extremes.

You are NOT going to win anything with a bunch of rooks. Every roster requires balance of vets, role players and young talent, not every player can or should be a lottery pick.

Monkeychef02 and DVauthrin like this.
  14. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Right...but this team as constructed is not simply one free agent away from contending. That's what ultimately matters. **** "culture" if culture is being stuck in mediocrity.

Honestly it's not like the "culture" during Morey's tenure was particularly revered. He was a degenerate gambler who enabled his owners to continue being cheap and was criticized heavily for treating his players as rental assets.

They also appeased Harden at every turn, someone who even his best buddy (Westbrook) called out because of the lack of accountability. Harden alienated Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. The "culture" flopped with Carmelo Anthony.

Point is: a roster with rookies and Wood isn't doing much, but no free agent is coming to Houston, at least not a difference maker. As of right now the best chance of a relatively quick -- and sustainable -- rebound is tank and hope for the best.

15. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

John Wall Put up 30 shots.

What an unbelievable jackass.

16. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

I’m gonna slap the **** out of whoever says John Wall was ever better than Chris Paul at any point in his life.

He is one of the emptiest players I’ve ever watched. No guile no skill beyond a normal level and no ability to impact the game beyond the box score.

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

tanking is a drug....it becomes a habit to live in hope and believe in pie in the sky and the potential...

yeah somehwere outthere in the future somebodys gonna draft a player that will become better than lebron harden and MJ.. and it may not even be a top 5 pick...i have no slightest doubt in it but you can not run a basketball club around that concept...

D-rock likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

When he's on the floor Wood is the modern day version of Chris Bosh. Was Chris Bosh a franchise player? I believe so. He was no LeBron James (who is other than LeBron himself?) but if Toronto had built a competent roster around Bosh I think they would have had more success with Bosh being the cornerstone. And if you put the right players around Wood I think you can succeed with him being (one of) your franchise players.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  19. Rockets4Life13

Wood definetely has franchise player potential. He is scoring extremely efficiently with (very) few attempts for a lot of points.

What he needs is to be able to create for himself. I feel like he can't really post up because he lacks the strength to push anyone around. So he mostly ends up facing up and shooting over somebody, which isn't really a go-to move to create shots for himself, imo.

Right now, he's too reliant on someone like (PUKE) John Wall, which hinders him from truly unlocking the best version of himself.

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. He needs a table setter that can get him the shots he needs or can make efficiently. Whether that's KPJ or Aaron Gordon or whomever, Houston can build around Wood and have a very good team.