1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor Mill/Trade Talks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

yeah that’s not us; we aren’t a destination city. We will attract good players by building a strong foundation. Once we start winning folks will want to come here. How do we build a winning foundation? Build through the draft, add ascending players. Put a premium on good coaching and player development. Build good team chemistry and avoid big roster turnover.

So let’s continue to focus on accumulating assets and building through the draft. let’s develop the talent we bring in and move our high paid vets off the roster by next year’s trade deadline. Let’s make sure we have the right coaches and let’s really start building that foundation. It starts with giving Wood the opportunity to lead this team, not Wall. And it starts with knocking this draft out of the park.

xaos and sydmill like this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am not the Christian Wood fan that some on here are. I have had debates about whether Wood belongs in the same class as Giannis and AD. Its crazy town with some posters. But, he is far and away the best player currently on the roster and he is young enough to keep around for a few years. I agree that Fertitta is not going to allow a rebuild through the draft and so Stone is likely to have to expedite the rebuild which fits Wood's prime better than it should. I dont like this but think it can work given the Rocket's draft assets from the Harden/Westbrook/RoCo/Tucker deals. We'll see.

xaos likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He doesn’t have to be a cornerstone but on a rebuilding team you need rebuilding assets.

Maybe I’m missing something but if the Rockets trade for him, are we sure he’s going to be that asset? Are we sure we won’t be giving up the very assets we need to rebuild this team to get him?

Im not an anti Aaron Gordon guy and I’m not opposed to trading for or signing players. IE the Wood signing... however I just hope the organization is willing to treat this next stage of rebuilding the way that a Morey or Sam Hinkie or Presti would. Not the way the Isaiah Thomas Knicks would rebuild.

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

There is a reason Wiggins was a throw in for a deangelo Russell.... Horford was traded for redundacy. He plays the same position as Phillys best player Embiid. It was a trade out of necessity. He will get dealt again and he will have a huge impact on his contending team. He's the perfect stretch 5 in today's nba.

What you mean by Boston years? I gave you his stat for this year. And it's all better than Wiggins.

5. riko

riko Member

Yep my guess he wants to go to the Knicks as they are respectable now and he can establish himself in the New York market.

The lakers and the Clippers don’t have the pieces or the picks to get it done. The only other realistic option might be the Warriors huge brand and the picks and the pieces they can offer the Magic.

6. mightybosstone

I get those concerns, but I'm operating under the assumption here that Houston isn't dealing any lottery picks in the trade. Once we start talking about the Rockets picks or those late Brooklyn picks, I'd have some very real concerns there as well. But if we're just moving late first rounders, I feel pretty confident in saying the likelihood of Gordon being better than 1-2 late first rounders is pretty high.

And if he doesn't work out, Stone could still flip him at the deadline next year for something to get some of that value back before he hits free agency.

7. xaos

xaos Member

The thing that I worry about the most is missing out on these next few drafts, which is loaded with talent. We are in a position where there are a LOT of teams competing for the best seeding they can get and a few consecutive stacked drafts where we could net high draft picks.

The biggest thing is we have to make sure we are competitive by 2024 or the Nets are horrible (out of our control).

Rockets have set themselves up where they can go a lot of different directions, despite shooting themselves in the foot with the Westbrook trade.

CVcrew likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think Gordon will do better on a team with spacing on offense. Silas' 5-out offense will suit him well. The paint is pretty well clogged in Orlando with Vucevic and the several other big men they have, plus the non-shooting guards.

Plus, he is a good corner 3 shooter, but in Orlando they have him primarily shooting above the break 3s. Wood shoots those above the break 3s well so he'll keep taking those here.

If nothing else, I think that at least we could increase his trade value if we decide to flip him in a couple years.

D-rock likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would not be surprised one bit if Denver makes a bid for AG. He would fit in perfectly next to Jokic.

D-rock likes this.
  10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Who cares what he wants? He averages under 15 a game. He has played for years on a perpetually underperforming team and has not "balled out" during that time. He's never been an all star, and his most noteworthy contribution has been in the dunk contest.

This is not a James Harden or Kyle Lowry situation where the player gets to influence their destination. If I'm orlando's FO I tell him to shut up and that he'll get traded wherever they want him to get traded.

Little Bit, finsraider and Aruba77 like this.
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

In addition to not being a star, he’s also not a free agent this summer. So I don’t think the Magic will care what he wants.

12. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

He’s from San Jose so maybe but he doesn’t seem like a natural fit for the Warriors. Then again their last few moves have been horrible fits like DLO, Wiggins, and Oubre.

D-rock likes this.
  13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So I just hope people are being sort of open minded about:

A. The Rockets identity with MDA/Harden/etc.
    B. Who the Rockets are now with Silas & leftover pieces post Harden/Russ trades
    C. Who the Rockets need to be during this next phase of rebuilding

You commented here about the Sila's system, and my first thought was wait... are we sure we even want THAT? I mean we just traded our two franchise max contract superstar players, hired a new coach, have lost 20 games straight, and our two highest paid (maybe best?) players really don't want to be here.

So when we think about making these trades, I just really hope that the thought process that DEFINITELY the front office is having, and really us as fans need to be thinking about is how we are putting ourselves in a position to rebuild in the quickest and most effective manner. I would encourage people to not think about Aaron Gordon's effectiveness is Sila's three point shooting system (which is the worst three point shooting team.... maybe of all time) and just focus on acquiring players that might have the talent to eventually build an identity around, or thinking about players that can be acquired on the cheap and flipped for greater things... think the Kyle Lowry/Memphis trade or the AB for Dragic & a 1st trade. etc.

I'm just really struggling with the thought of giving up a first round pick for basically ANYONE at this point in time that isn't like Zion Williamson.

Scarface likes this.
  14. PatBev

PatBev Member

Giving up assets and trading for Gordon or Lavine would be so ****ing stupid

Anything that jeopardizes our draft pick is a dumb move. Most these dudes who we would trade for are 25+ that haven’t done **** with their previous team. By the time we become a real contender they would be approaching 30

We need to have a proper rebuild through hopefully a elite draft pick. Patching the holes with big name bums isn’t going to do anything but give us a bottom seed with aging overvalued players

Nook likes this.
  15. riko

riko Member

Curry
    Thompson
    Wiggins
    Gordon
    Green

that’s a pretty lethal small ball team for next season

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Idk why we have fans wanting to trade for Aaron Gordon. He has 1 more year left on his deal, and he won’t be re-signing here unless we grossly overpay him.

I’m not that interested in guys who are becoming free agents or have only a year or 2 left on their contract. None of those guys are re-signing here unless we give them albatross deals. We’re too far away from relevance to be overpaying the likes of AG to stay in Houston.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree with you but I wouldn’t put Lavine and Gordon in the same conversation. Lavine is a legit 25 yr old stud who u can build around -he’s a franchise player. Gordon is not. That said, we don’t want to trade draft assets for super stars that may leave us in a year because we haven’t built anything worth staying for. I do think that if we can get a franchise player out of the draft and Wood continues to dominate, that going after a Lavine in 2022 free agency makes sense. But I doubt we are competitive enough after next year fir him to want to sign with us.

Scarface, PatBev and steddinotayto like this.
  18. riko

riko Member

He apparently wants to go to a wining situation so that rules out the Rockets

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the calculation here is that an expiring Aaron Gordon will be worth equal/more than the late 1sts we'd be giving up for him.

D-rock likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Aaron Gordon won't be traded to Rockets

Houston Rockets players were under the impression a few days ago that a trade for Gordon was close to being finalized and a last-minute hiccup killed the deal, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Gordon has no desire to be traded to a team in a rebuild and is only interested in joining a team that has the potential to make a playoff run, sources said.

One key party with knowledge of the talks disputed that it nearly reached the point of completion. It would have likely involved Victor Oladipo. However, any team that seeks a trade for the Orlando Magic versatile forward would prefer to have some assurances that Gordon would agree to an extension, sources said.

This could decrease the trade options for Orlando. Gordon, 25, is set to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2022.

Talks have diminished between Orlando and the Portland Trail Blazers, a source said. The Denver Nuggets are still interested, but there isn't a desperation to make a move, sources said.