1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets hope to trade future draft assets for ‘foundation piece’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 18, 2021.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I am rooting for Herro being acquired because I want to see the reactions from all sides. I'm not even sure how good I think he is.

joshuaao and Deuce like this.
  2. liveguy

liveguy Member

how abou
    Novel thought, but....how about you draft him?

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Also

A lot of you dont even give this management team a chance..Stone first year and its a lot of wining and complaining. Let the dude and team work

We can talk about this in a couple of years..its way to early to say anything about this as there are a lot of just rumors and speculation...

Sep11ie and 18pbr like this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Man the foundational piece is in this year's draft. Sorry but Cade as long as he can stay healthy is a generational talent. He's got an nba body for a rookie, 6'7/6'8 can pass the ball like a pg and has nba range. Between him KPJ Wood and Kj Martin Jr that's a ridiculous young Core.

5. sydmill

sydmill Member

This all boils down to tanking vs not. I think even the most ardent anti tankers now see how inept the current Rockets are. However, articles like this make it appear that mgmt is determined to marginally improve the team now and waste their chance to hasten the rebuild by just accepting the tank and drafting a possible franchise player.

6. sydmill

sydmill Member

I would even expand that to include Mobley, Kuminga, Green and Suggs. Any of those guys could be foundational and spur on a quick rebuild.

HP3 likes this.
  7. Bo6

Bo6 Member

would oladipo house and a 1st be enough for herro? i would absolutely love him next to KPJ.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

that 1st better be 1-29 protected

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  9. markelliott1997

Who are we going to get that can help us contend again? Face it. When James Harden left, we were in a rebuild. There's not a single move we can make to fix this.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And I'd add that we had just moved on from Lowry and Goran Dragic who were both pilfered from another team's bench. Lowry has since went on to become a 6 time all-star. Dragic has had a less impressive career but I don't think any of us would mind trading a pick or two for a young Goran.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Foundational piece does not necessarily mean franchise player.

If it does then the answer is John Wall.

John Wall is the only franchise player we deserve in CF.

Williamson and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Harden was a unicorn. He was playing with 2 other MVP players in a small market and him being available was purely money. OKC couldn't afford a third max contract especially with Ibaka also on the team. That will never happen again.

Now name other foundational players that got traded not including FA sign and trades. AD and Harden were traded because they were unhappy and joined another superstar. Who else was traded? Dipo is probably the closest.

Wood was a sign and trade. He was looking to move as a FA.

#172 rockbox, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

So we are getting worse on defense.

Great.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think you have some buy low candidates in Atlanta if Stone thinks that it's more of the system/coach that's made them underperform. Young is untouchable but I don't know if Huerter, Reddish or Hunter can be included on that list. I don't care for Reddish but Huerter or Hunter are intriguing enough for me to use picks on.

Malik Beasley is another guy I'd trade for. He's only 24 and has done pretty damn well this year as KAT was out.

HP3, sydmill and joshuaao like this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There are occasionally teams forced to do so however.

D-rock likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The second phase of the plan is to win games.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

Lol tell me one foundation piece out there to be had..

ico4498 likes this.
  18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

We may not see the foundational player that Stone sees and that may or may not be a potential star. Looking at these stats...

76 0 22.9 3.1 7.6 .403 1.2 3.3 .375 1.8 4.3 .424 .484 2.6 3.2 .808 0.6 2.6 3.2 1.8 1.1 0.3 1.4 2.6 9.9
    82 5 26.7 3.6 8.3 .436 1.4 4.0 .349 2.3 4.4 .514 .518 3.5 4.2 .843 0.5 2.6 3.1 2.1 1.1 0.3 1.3 2.5 12.2
    62 2 31.4 5.0 10.1 .491 1.8 4.7 .390 3.1 5.4 .579 .582 5.0 6.0 .846 0.5 3.6 4.1 3.7 1.0 0.2 2.2 2.4 16.8

...did we necessarily assume we had a superstar in the making when we acquired JH?

D-rock likes this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Before I read your post, I replied to JR with something similar. Great minds.

RustyHarden and D-rock like this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

1. Love how you're adding qualifiers. Wood counts. We traded for him. Who cares if he was a free agent? Detroit didn't want to pay him what we were willing to but unable to in free agency and so we arranged a trade to acquire him. It's literally the same thing as the Harden trade except it happened in the offseason instead of during the season.
    2. This is the weirdest challenge because there are so many and you literally just asked for one. There are also so many reasons they can be traded. Sometimes they're traded because they're unhappy. Sometimes they're traded because they aren't properly valued. Sometimes they're simply traded because the team has different priorities. Win now but the guy is too young to contribute. Rebuild but the guy is too old to build around. Etc etc.

Unless you're talking superstar player? Because superstar player isn't the same as foundational player. If they meant superstar player they'd have said superstar player. But I will start with a superstar for good measure and go from there. Jermane O'neal being traded from Portland (where he was buried on the bench) to Indiana to become one of the most dominant big men in the league comes to mind immediately. Then there was Kyle Lowry. Remember when Morey pilfered him from Memphis and @DaDakota described him as a career back up who should never be ahead of Aaron Brooks in the rotation? Because personally I'll never forget it. And speaking of Kyle Lowry, remember then when Morey traded him for a first round pick because as good as Lowry was for us we were searching for a superstar? He then went on to become the face of the Toronto franchise and the most beloved player in their history. Definitely a foundational guy. Ben Wallace was traded to Detroit as just a throw in in a sign and trade for Grant Hill. He then broke out as one of the best defensive big men in the game and won some rings. The Bulls picked up Scottie Pippen from the Sonics in exchange for Olden Polynice. And the Bucks drafted Dirk Nowitzki and immediately traded him for Tractor Traylor.

How many more do you want?

Zen Tabak and RudyTBag like this.