1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets hope to trade future draft assets for ‘foundation piece’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 18, 2021.

1. raining threes

How do you feel about trading for Collins?

I'm kind of I dont know if he matches the probable time line or will be worth the max contract he's going to want. What would a trade for Collins look like?

But a team of

KPJ/top 4 pick/Wood/Collins/Hopefully a good wing in the Dipo trade has great potential.

chadyang and 18pbr like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Please no. Draft players and live with the results. Build from the ground up. Please. This idea that trading for a Harden type was a lucky dream scenario that may never come again. Plus with all the asset movement because of his acquisition, we never had the depth we needed.

Try something different instead of banging our head through the wall. Please for fan's sake.

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't think he's on the market in spite of all the reports, but John Collins is the type of player the team is probably talking about here. I don't imagine they'd pursue a player like Kyle Lowry or Bradley Beal given where we are as a team and where they are in their careers.

D-rock likes this.
  4. raining threes

Depends on where they pick in the draft and whether they hit on the pick.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

A “foundation piece” isn’t necessarily a star player, it might just be a piece, and of course they would trade draft assets to get one. That doesn’t mean they’re going to trade all of their picks, or that they are going to shoot for something major, but if you can get a long term stretch 4 or someone who can consistently hit a three pointer for the next several years that would be pretty foundational. I pretty much trust Stone to get it right as long as he’s left alone to do it.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...as far as I'm concerned, this is just public posturing to see if some team comes out of the woodwork between now and draft night offering up a player no one thought was available. Boston comes to mind as one of those teams that has overvalued their roster generally but at some point Ainge has to start feeling the pressure of a young roster that seems to have stalled in their development(currently sitting at .500%). Maybe Boston isn't that team, but I don't think there is any harm in Stone letting teams know that Houston has a trove of picks, young guys with potential, and a few leftover rotational playoff guys they could throw into a deal. Houston could construct a deal in a number of ways according to the needs of a trade partner if the right asset were on the table....just gotta bring the right asset to Stone's attention.

...that being said - I'm also a little worried about current team leadership defining who a foundational piece is. Stone seems to be fairly capable as a negotiator but I don't think we know enough to grade him on his talent evaluation....he is also Tillman's stooge and Fertitta totally seems like the type of millionaire to pull a "trade for KAT at all cost" overpay/tantrum. This is always the problem with owners with big egos - they always think their wealth qualifies them to be an expert in areas where they clearly are not. Let's hope that doesn't happen here.

#66 glimmertwins, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    slothy420, Der Rabbi, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  7. Evans32

Evans32 Member

What about Dipo, and picks for Brandon Ingram? And would you trade CWood, Dipo for Wiseman and the minny pick? Love Wood but that minny pick is too valuable and Wiseman wouldn’t be a bad replacement tbh

HoustonWest likes this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Where's the poll? I wanna laugh at some of the players, folks suggest we trade for...

J.R. likes this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hahahaha. Willing to get rid of future draft assets to get a foundation piece.

But when you already have the most prime foundation piece in the NBA, you get rid of future draft assets to save a few dollars but not make the team better.

Yep, that kind of stupidity sounds right up Tilman's alley.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Do they build foundations in pieces now? Seems flimsy.

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Just a random trade idea. The basis was wood/dipo for wiseman and the Minnesota pick. I’ll see if I can find it. As much as I like wood if we’re going to build through the draft 25 might be just outside that window. If we got wiseman the minny pick plus get into the top 4 plus I think we have 2 more picks along with kpj plus whatever we get for EG/wall we could have a lot of young high end talent on the team next year.

groovemachine likes this.
  12. Evans32

Evans32 Member

Lol I posted that trade. Love CWood but I’m in love with that minny pick more and we would most likely be bad Next year, with our own pick!!!KPJ,Cade,Green,Tate,Wiseman, wouldn’t be bad tbh

tmoney1101 and HoustonWest like this.
  13. Evans32

Evans32 Member

Rebuild would be much faster too!

HoustonWest likes this.
  14. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I want Stone to draft Cade. That or roll the dice and gamble

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Yup. Just a random idea I proposed a couple days ago on the Rumor Mill/Trade Talk thread. Page 41, #808.

I truly think both sides walk away happy from that trade.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I really doubt it. I think we are going to be even worse next year.

We are trying to get rid of vets, the current team is made up of mostly g league players

Williamson and Der Rabbi like this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's what im talking about. I really like Wood but when you are breaking records for consecutive losses you might as well really go for it. Wiseman KPJ (a top 4 pick this year hopefully) Minny pick, Portland pick, later Pistons pick, Wizards pick, 2023 pick from the Bucks, then cap space in two seasons, lastly all of Brooklyn's pics.

Perhaps if that trade were to go through the warriors would get whatever pick was better out of the Bucks and Portland's. I'm 99.9999% positive the Rockets would not want KPJ, Wiseman, and 4 rookies on the team so you could then tank for another rookie in 2023 season lol. That trade though gives you so many chances to find a superstar.

roslolian and tmoney1101 like this.
  18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Sorry dude would’ve quoted you but couldn’t remember where I saw it.

don grahamleone and Mr Woods like this.
  19. Evans32

Evans32 Member

The only con would be taking back Wiggins but it’s a fair clean trade Wiggins,Wiseman, minny pick for Dipo and Wood. I do think the warriors would want a first rounder or 2 back. Tbh they can take Portland or Milwaukee’s pick

#79 Evans32, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You might have a point regarding Wood, I’m not sure GS is enough of a contender this year to give away Wiseman + Minny pick. Of course I’d make that trade in a heartbeat tho.

don grahamleone and rkh-dog like this.