1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets hope to trade future draft assets for ‘foundation piece’

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Mar 18, 2021.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Neither do I, but the Rockets are allegedly after him for some time.

D-rock likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Possibly. However if you are in the lottery, then you need to go for the top 3-4 picks.

luckyman76 and saleem like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Herro isn't worth more than one low FRP imo.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman wants that “fast rebuild”. Just slap a couple borderline all star players on the roster and the rebuild is done and folks can show up for those 45 win seasons while Malcolm Brogdan and Christian Wood lead the Rockets into multiple first round exits.

slothy420, D-rock, luckyman76 and 6 others like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I would give more for him. Getting low first round picks shouldn’t be hard to get for a team as bad as the Rockets.

6. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

God, talk about stating the obvious. Of course they're willing to trade draft assets for a foundation piece. That's kind of what a rebuilding team at the bottom of the standings does. How is this news?

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m kind of down in MPJ. We need two way players. Our two foundational pierces we have (Wood and KPJ) are highly suspect on defense. If Jimmy Butler was younger he’d be perfect but dude is 30 so no thanks. Their is no young foundational piece to trade for. The closet is Lavine but the bulls aren’t letting him go and he’s not nowhere near Harden level at age 25. That’s why the lottery pick is so crucial this season. I really hope it works out for us. We hit on That and we have 3 potential pieces for the future and can start trading from their.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

It'll depend if they like Wood enough for him to be their new superstar.

He is 25 so trading picks for a 25ish player like Collins or Aaron Gordon makes sense. If we keep those picks then only KPJ matters so Wood should also be traded for the right pieces imo. 5 yr gap between Wood and MPJ means Would would be outta here when KPJ reaches his peak (around 26+).

Nook, D-rock and HoustonWest like this.
  9. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yeah best of luck. I don't really know who could possibly be available that would result in the team being a contender in the next couple of years. Which is to say: play for the draft and trade away whatever you can for as many possible opportunities at a top draft pick.

I see no reason why Houston can't do a mini-tank like Philly, but instead of sucking for 4-5 years they could condense that into this year and next year. Also unlike Philly they wouldn't necessarily flop on 3/5 top draft picks (Noel, Okafor, Fultz).

Wiseman would seem like a good target. May as well aim for other potential top picks.

roslolian and juanming like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

im not sure I trust the organization enough to blow our wad on a “foundational piece”. I couldn’t agree with you more; there’s not a guy out there that’s available and fits that description. Lavine would be on a very short list; I doubt Chicago would deal. I’m worried we’ll short change rebuilding and end up blowing our picks on fools gold like Aaron Gordon.

11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

This is d rock speaking Aaron Gordon into reality.

Amel, D-rock, 18pbr and 1 other person like this.
  12. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

I think the only way this plan makes sense is if the goal is to build a "quality" supporting cast ahead of a Harden return in two seasons (which I think would be unlikely).

Wood + Gordon + Porter doesn't really seem like much at all. I'd rather see Houston tear it down further, even if it means getting rid of Wood (for excellent compensation of course).

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

If you look at all the Big dawgs out there, and this team now. I think maybe Zach Levine.

Wood, Porter Levine.
    Is John Wall for Herro + Expiring Possible?
    Make sure you get Cade.

Porter - Cade - Levine - Herro - Wood.

Got to admit thats a team that will be top 3 seed next season.

fattz, Amel, Lloyd Estacio and 2 others like this.
  14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I don’t know much about him care to give me a rundown?

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah if they go that route the goal is to compete enough to make Wood happy so he will resign in 3 yrs. We will have money then cuz Wall and EG come off the books and Rox playoff success gonna be enough to lure someone else to play with Wood, KPJ and Collins/Gordon/foundational piece.

If you tear it all down Wood should def be traded cuz he is gonna want out after 3 yrs of hell. Thats why Im hoping Rox can work out a Wood/Dipo for Wiseman/Wiggins/Minny pick trade. If they cant get that pick, would be hapoy to mulligan on a 20 yr old big man the same age as KPJ.

tmoney1101, HoustonWest and 18pbr like this.
  16. tmoney1101

I agree I want to build through the draft even if it costs wood. That trade scenario posted in the other thread with GS was the most intriguing I’ve heard.

Nook likes this.
  17. tmoney1101

I think if we can pick up herro somehow we’ll still be bad enough to pick up another top pick. I think mpj wood and kpj would pull us to the back end of the lottery.

Nook likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think anyone knows what Rafael is doing. Lawyer Rafael has secrets up his sleeve. Sit back and enjoy the creativity.

fattz, D-rock, 18pbr and 1 other person like this.
  19. kevtse

kevtse Member

I really like De'Aaron Fox and he will be a super star within the next few years. But I dont see any reason why the Kings would trade him away, after many years of search for their foundation piece.

saleem likes this.
  20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah you know a foundational piece when you see it. Nobody is passing the eye test. We were all happy abo th Arden Tess when it happened. We just knew and he was under 25. Man i wish I could relieve that week again. Just such a fun time.