1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

In
    Which was weird to me bc he never got any return from his 2nd round picks. Even when he got someone who was good (Harrell, melton?, hartenstein?), they went on to do better for other teams. The only 2nd round pick that really helped us was parsons. His best finds were oversees and undrafted free agents like Scola, bev and (the ones he let go) roco, whiteside

don grahamleone and ashleyem like this.
  2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why are trying one up me? First off, we're all Rockets fans so why can't we enjoy that our team's draft position increased? Second, your players come from a pool of almost 200 players, mine comes from around 40.

Never said they were world beaters, never said anything actually other than these players were selected in this range. You interpreted it as some challenge when it wasn't. Hope you had fun analyzing all that data?

3. VoR

VoR Member

Wall gone? Porter Jr back to SG? Interdasting.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. VoR

VoR Member

I could see Wall gone. Porter Jr has more value for a rebuilding team. I love Wall, but if he wants to be in the playoffs, I say trade him if we get something nice for the future.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Corrosion likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The more I think about this trade the more I think it’s just okay. I didn’t realize that the 2022 Mil pick was already unprotected and that Giannis had already signed his extension. Honestly pushing out the pick another year could make it better but probably not much. I didn’t realize DJ is making $7 mil for two more years. I do think moving up 7ish spots in the draft matters but it’s certainly not a huge deal.

so...meh. It’s better than nothing but it’s not the equivalent of getting a 1st rounder outright or a young prospect. That said, Tucker’s value was probably less than a 1st rounder. So the reality is that Stone got fair value but the return was fairly underwhelming.

if Stone has been able to get Mil to take a later 2nd rounder or a future 2nd rounder instead of our 2nd this year, that would have made this a home run. The only thing I can think of is maybe the 2023 draft is supposed to be really good?

not trying to hate on anything, but as one considers this trade it’s not as great as I originally thought.

#426 Aruba77, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  7. futilman

futilman Member

I think I’d rather get THT from LAL and I’m sure that we could’ve just gotten him straigjt

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. CarlosGM

CarlosGM Member

2023 will probably be a double draft, with players able to join the draft directly from High School

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If we traded PJ Tucker for Talen Tucker and nothing else, that would've been straight robbery... as in the Lakers got value off us for nothing. THT is at the same level as the guys we've already got. You a Lakers fan or something?

clos4life likes this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Warmly welcome, DJ Wilson and his dad DJ Augustin!

D-rock, hakeem94, Bo6 and 6 others like this.
  11. don grahamleone

For being a Morey fan, you sure did throw him under the bus a bit here. I like it. He was an overrated GM as you explained.

Stoner is an underrated GM and his brilliance shall shine soon and plain enough for even you to see it clearly.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. don grahamleone

I'm starting to believe that the DJ Wilson part of this trade will pay off later. Here's a clip that has both DJs in it. They seem to play well off each other:

This shows Wilson's style more. He's really a stretch 4 and probably didn't get a great chance at this league because of Giannis playing heavy minutes.

Here he is against us in the bubble:

Bo6 likes this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Pretty sure he was referring to Fertits, the ultimate string puller

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

then that makes a big difference. Thanks fir flagging that.

BamBam and saleem like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do they DJ?

16. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I rarely see differences between us but this is a big one...

Moving up from round 2 to round 1 could be the difference between drafting Isaiah Canaan at 34 or drafting Clint Capella at 25

my expectation was tucker netting us a SRP...

Btw, I read the 2023 is unprotected which pushes back the gamble for us...

Stone hedged his bets with Brooklyn being good, Philly being good... we now own the Bucks potential demise and Brooklyns potential demise for that year... I think it was creative work by Stone

also, you and I had the same philosophy after the Harden trade... take on contracts to take on assets... However many spots we gained by taking on another year of a small Augustine contract is exactly what this rebuilding team should do.

#436 BHannes2BHonest, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    joshuaao, hakeem94, sydmill and 3 others like this.
  17. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yes I do. I mean, in what world a 20/10 player not considered a top 5 draft talent?

18. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Just catching up on this thread still but...

let me leave this here...

i would’ve rather had DJ Augustine as our backup PG than Russell Westbrick last year

DJ is solid and I don’t think many people see that on CF

19. don grahamleone

Harden was here for 9 seasons, Morey was here for 14 seasons, Ferntits has been the owner for 4 seasons and the whole problem with the world is Ferntits? Me thinks people blame an owner beyond reason.

We'll go ahead and ignore the media, refereeing and Adam Silver's leadership... those never harmed the Houston Rockets, right?

Ferntits has not been amazing, but the problem goes deeper than him or how much he's willing to spend over the salary cap. Just sayin'.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

On the surface it looks like a wash...possibly almost getting nothing significant for PJ in return. But this is a 36 year old veteran on an expiring contract that will fill in a very specific role on a championship contending team....the market shouldn't or wouldn't be that high, hence the return we got. Moving up from the 2nd round and into the 1st also, on the surface, gives us another "attractive" (e.g. "1st Rounder!") asset to use in a trade. If Rafael is desperate enough to move Wall between now and next season, he can now attach this low end 1st and the 1st he got from the original Westbrook/Wall trade to get back something decent instead of just a bunch of expiring contracts. That sounds better than "Wall, Washington's 1st and Houston's 2nd"

I never had high expectations that Tucker would have netted us anything great, especially after Wood went down. I talked myself into 2 2nd Rounders as an acceptable return and this wasn't bad. As for the DJs...I'm only assuming Stone is going to use Augustine's salary cap hit in a trade down the road. At worst, he's another roster spot for next season, with $92 million committed to him and 7 other players (Wall makes almost half of that. Yikes!).

hakeem94 likes this.