1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Good thing your negativity isn't contagious. There may be people that agree with you, but they were negative people to start out with. The fact that you do not acknowledge the leverages that we did get is deplorable negativity. What in the world has happened to you? Everything alright in your world, bro?

2. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

The argument that there is no difference between drafting in the 2nd round and late 1st round pick is absurd. We could have drafted Jokic instead of Nick Johnson if we had drafted a spot higher. And why should we be worried about Augustin’s contract? He’s still a very serviceable guard that could be flipped for more assets down the road. There is no big fish in the FA market this year and no one is signing here anyways. I am totally okay with taking on his contract. I am also intrigued by Wilson. On paper he really fits our need.

#382 ashleyem, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  3. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I agree with you and the points you highlight, re lotto tickets. The Rockets didn’t get ‘nothing’ but I would argue what they did get was very little, and IMO, arguablely less than two middling 2nd round picks, which is what I thought they would get.

ramotadab and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

How would you feel if Augustin moved to 3rd team for draft asset(s) or another young player?

jch1911 likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets flip Augustine for assets I will feel differently about the trade.

I don’t think the Rockets screwed up this trade, I just don’t think they got what a lot of people think they got.

luckyman76, Mr Woods, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The reason I like this deal is I think you can more easily use Pick 24 (or whatever it ends up being) as trade capital than you could two middling 2nds. If you compare the expected value in a vacuum, you can make that argument, but I think the trade capital of this path is better. We’ll see.

7. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets find a way to move Augustine for assets I will like the trade.

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

High 2nd rounders are more valuable than bottom 5 first rounders due to contract flexibility.

And the talent variance is very slight.

In fact teams tend to reach at the bottom of the 1st forcing legit 1st rounders to fall to top of the 2nd.

9. Nook

Nook Member

It isn’t negativity, it is reality. The Rockets did not trade PJ Tucker for a #1 as I have seen numerous times. The Rockets took on an additional contract obligation in exchange for moving up a handful of spots in the draft and moving the Bucks pick from 2022 to 2023.... I think the Rockets likely could have done that without Tucker...

If you view that as negativity, that is on you. Maybe the Rockets draft a star at pick 25ish and I will gladly eat crow... but I am not going to lie and say it is some wonderful deal when in reality it is largely rearranging the deck chairs.

luckyman76, ramotadab, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That used to be the case, but I think late first rounders are now comfortably more valuable than early seconds.

PiPdAdY33, Deuce, IvanLCPM and 9 others like this.
  11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You make it seem like moving up 7-8 spots in the draft, from round 2 to round 1, means nothing. In prior drafts we have struck out getting back into round one.

12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

We are not in position to sign any marquee free agent any time soon so why should we emphasize flexibility? For us it is all about drafting the right guy not contract, and moving up a few spots could make huge difference. Yes, we didn’t get a lot but really I didn’t expect a lot from a 36-year-old washed up veteran. Teams aren’t stupid.

13. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Daryl Morey is rolling over in his grave.

14. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of it hinges on Augustine and the Rockets ability to move him. Taking on a contract that a team wants to move usually comes at a price.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets didn’t get that for Tucker... they got that by taking on a contract the Bucks wanted to move and Tucker.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The 2022 and 2023 picks have the same level of protection. I was wrong about the 2023 having 1-9 protection

17. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I absolutely agree! I like locking the rookie up for four years instead of getting Parsoned again.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I haven’t seen it, but yeah. Anyone suggesting they traded Tucker for a 1 is wrong.

I’m just happy (within reason) because my expectation was Tucker for expiring salary (or into a TPE) and a 2nd. IMO, this is better than that.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

We got nothing because frankly, he's worth nothing. The Bucks still lose though because PJ Tucker is not the answer. Nobody is really saying it, but Ante has to carry that team all by himself, and he's not enough. He needs a legit running mate. It's unfortunate, but his loyalty is going to sink him. Tucker makes them worse if you ask me. Their greatest strength is their length and Tucker makes them short. again.

ramotadab and ashleyem like this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Rockets traded away a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for two 1st round picks. You ignore that. That's seeing only the negative.

This was only slight improvement, but it was first round improvement and it was moved up a year. Our other first round pick is now from a highly coveted draft because of potential draft rule changes. PJ wasn't playing, Kuruks wasn't playing.. and we flipped them for two guys that will play basketball on the court for us in reality.

It's like your kid went from finishing 6th in his race to 5th and you're telling him he didn't improve. The reality of how you are presenting is that it's negative and ignoring the facts about what changed.

If we got 2 2nd rounders and traded all of our 2nds to move up into the first round, you'd be happy. So how are you choosing to ignore that fact? Up is up, man. Whether it's an inch or a foot, up is up.