1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker traded to Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

YOU DIDN’T REALLY GET A #1 FOR TUCKER.

YOU MOVED UP 7-8 SPOTS IN THE DRAFT AND HAD TO TAKE ON AUGUSTINE’S CONTRACT NEXT YEAR.

slothy420, luckyman76, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  2. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I mean ofcourse it's wishful thinking but it's based in reality. Case in point rockets this year. When the season ended last year no way did we think rockets would be in the hunt for the lottery. Giannis wants to win so if they come up short (likely with Brooklyn looking strong) then he may decide to move on.

2nd advantage is that there is a possibility that nba gets rid of its 1 and done rule and allow high school players into the draft in 2023 which will open a flood of talent into the draft being it the year with the 1 and dones and high school players so that draft could have a higher chance of finding a talent late in the first round.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

This. From a contract flexibility standpoint, highend 2nd round picks are really valuable. We have Martin on a really favorable 4 year deal because he was not a first rounder, and we could structure whatever contract we wanted that he would agree to. I’m not saying I’d rather have the second than the first, but it is up for debate at least, if what we got from MIL is even better than what we gave up.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

When you put it this way, we essentially get to move up a few spots in the draft this year, and then the 2022 for 2023 there are too many variables to be able identify value to that transaction, theoretically the further out a pick is for a good team the better it could be, since you assume that contending team is one year older and one year closer to not being as good as they were. This return is minimal, and depending on luck and players available who knows what happens with that 2023 swap.

don grahamleone and ashleyem like this.
  5. The Cat

The Cat Member

No idea, but until it's done, would be foolish to rule it out.

By the way, for those downplaying the value of the 2022/2023 flip, imagine if someone had told you in March 2019 that a 2021 first from Houston, Toronto, or Golden State would likely be in the lottery. Situations change fast. Obviously a superstar forcing his way out (Harden, Kawhi) is the most plausible route for that kind of decline, but sometimes it can happen organically with injuries, aging, and salary-cap realities (Warriors). Two years is a long time in the NBA, it's a worthwhile gamble. No guarantees, but it makes sense.

6. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

He hasn’t read the CBA

mikenm268 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nah not when he literally freshly signed a super max extension when he could have done a short deal to explore options. He isn’t going anywhere anytime soon

HP3 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bingo and if even 7-8 spots

D-rock, Nook and HP3 like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Tucker wasn’t going to get a big return. I expected a pair of mediocre 2nd rounders or one top of the 2nd rounder. The issue I have with it is that we took on Augustine’s contract to basically move up 7 spots in the draft and there isn’t even an agreement that end of round one picks are as good as those in round two.

So, overall I don’t care much, it doesn’t change much but this is exactly what I thought the Rockets front office may do, which is make a convoluted trade to claim they got a #1 for Tucker when the actual reality is different.

This trade doesn’t really change anything for the Rockets. The only thing I will caution is that the idea that this is a “home run” for the Rockets just isn’t there. The Bucks were going to have to trade value to get someone to take Augustine off their hands.

luckyman76, D-rock, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

It's really one more year. The second year is partially guaranteed at 300k. I'm sure whoever owns the contract at that point will gladly cut him and take the hit and next year he'll be treated like an expiring contract.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I hope you are right and it would not be the first time I am wrong. I am not mad at the trade, I just don’t think we got anything when you consider that we had to take on Augustine.

I believe the 2023 Bucks pick is top 9 protected, if it isn’t then the value increases obviously.

I am fine with the deal, I just don’t think it is a home run like some thing. I think that taking on Augustine alone would have cost the Bucks.

Icehouse, luckyman76, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Arguably? Why argue with you. You're wrong but you won
    AUGUSTINE'S CONTRACT CAN BE TRADED AS IT IS ESSENTIALLY AN EXPIRING NEXT YEAR, AND THE 2023 FIRST ROUNDER MIGHT BE BETTER THAN THE 2022, AND HOW MANY TIMES HAS A TEAM MISSED OUT ON A PLAYER IF ONLY THEY COULD'VE DRAFTED A LITTLE HIGHER?
    Damn, dude.

13. ARA71197

ARA71197 Member

This trade still hasn't been officially announced. Wonder if Stone is trying to extend it? I'd assume it becomes official tomorrow. Worth noting though that Stone can still flip Augustin, but he'd have to be traded by himself. I'm used to Augustin shooting lights out at Toyota Center and he played his senior year of high school at Hightower High School in Missouri City, so he might actually be happy to be back in the Houston area. Either way, DJ Wilson has potential and Stone altering the picks makes this sound like a pretty good deal for the Rockets all things considered. No complaints from me!

14. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t a huge amount of money and realistically it isn’t like teams will be hanging on the Rockets door to sign here until we are good again. I am just saying that had the Bucks tried to clear Augustine off the books in a trade it would have cost them assets.

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Well they started out wanting a first rounder. Then they weirdly wanted 3 2nd rounders. Then they leaked they want 2 2nd rounders a month ago.

So I'm not surprised at what we got. It's better than a second rounder (which can be purchased outright). We got:

- Move up from early second rounder to late first.
    - Get a first rounder one year later from them, still unprotected. This is an improvement too, even if minor. More chances for Giannis to want out if he doesn't have a title.

They must have no hope of signing an FA this summer to take on $7m extra salary. We're not going to be able to dump Gordon for straight up cap space in the summer to create a big FA slot, that opportunity was lost when we couldn't dump him for an expiring and he got injured right before the deadline.

Doubt Tucker would have accepted an extension other than on serious contenders, so the list is extremely short (2-3 teams). Wherever he wouldn't accept an extension, we would get less value certainly.

We should have traded him in the summer, I bet his value was better but that's all good. I think the Bucks are going to appreciate and use him really well. It's better than letting him walk, which was probably the next likely scenario.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Had the Bucks tried to move Augustine they would have had to attach assets.

Second, the 2023 draft pick from the Bucks has protections.

You moved up a handful of spots in the draft for taking on a negative asset and moving Tucker... if you think that is a good deal, so be it... just don’t give BS about the Rockets dealt Tucker for a #1, because that isn’t really what happened.

slothy420, luckyman76, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

This is a fair take, but I would argue that the Rockets would have been better off getting a second rounder and could have taken on more draft considerations by taking a salary dump from another team instead of Augustine.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I thought the 2023 picks was unprotected? That’s what’s being reported.

GotGame15 likes this.
  19. The Cat

The Cat Member

It is not. The 2021 Bucks pick is Top 9 protected, 2023 is unprotected. Also, as far as Augustin, he literally just signed that deal a couple months ago. They signed him to be a backup point guard, he's shooting 38% on 3-pointers. He's doing exactly what they expected and signed him to do. Let's not act like it's an albatross, it's basically one more year at $7 million. Considering where the Rockets are as a franchise, I would argue that this is absolutely what they should do — take on questionable salary if it gets them assets. It's doubtful they'll have cap room in 2021, and even if they do, A) there aren't a ton of worthwhile FAs, and B) what few there are probably won't see Houston as a desirable destination.

The way to look at this trade, the Rockets are getting a bump of anywhere from 5-10 spots in the 2021 draft along with a few lottery tickets:

1) Does Wilson develop, now that he gets an opportunity?
    2) Does Augustin eventually become desirable to another team, or useful salary filler?
    3) Does Milwaukee have something go wrong that makes their 2023 pick more desirable than 2022?

I don't know what the answers to those three questions are. But at the cost of an expiring PJ Tucker (at 35 years old) and taking on DJ Augustin, all for a team that probably wasn't going to be attractive to 2021 FAs in the first place, I'm cool with finding out. It's basically moving up a handful of spots in this year's draft and getting a few low-risk lottery tickets. Hope for the best.

Rashmon, Icehouse, PiPdAdY33 and 12 others like this.
  20. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

The Athletic told me the Rockets will be “looking to flip Augustine for assets” at the trade deadline, so I’m choosing to blindly hold on to that.