1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: HOU trading Ariza + 16th to Detroit for Space + 2021 second rounder

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I believe OKC is keeping Ariza. Dallas keeps James Johnson.

2. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You and me both, man. Glad to see this panned out.

treyk3 likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I stand corrected.

JJ is still going to make Mavs tougher and more physical.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm less pissed about all this now that they have expanded the trade and used the TPE generated on Wood ....

Now find a way to move EG and use the NT-MLE on a quality 3-4 and the BAE on the best player you can get regardless of position and call it a day .... Maybe you can keep Harden happy for another season - if not it was all sideways from the get go.

D-rock likes this.
  5. JW86

JW86 Member

Stone is a boss!

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

cf's "trash" ariza still netting an expiring and pick years later

HP3 likes this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ariza is also an expiring and a 2027 second isn’t even an asset for another couple of years.

it’s not much .

joshuaao likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah its never not much. meanwhile the guys harden could win with this year says cf's are struggling to even be traded

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

harden could win with these guys lol .

it of course depends on injury luck . But I’d also say that we trended higher risk this year with wall and nwaba and cousins .

let’s say harden has healthy Tate nwaba wood and Gordon that’s enough to win a game . Think about how james boosts guys like PJ and Ben . It’s also possible we could have traded out guys earlier .

granted we prolly don’t get kpj if we don’t move harden . But let’s say kmj is up now and is playing equally well . Harden would get him an extra 10ppg , minimum .

we woulda been around the 4-6 spot .

if we get kpj and health from wall , as well as other guys and everyone plays up to their potential.... maybe 1% chance to win it all .

We have crazy variance potential going forward . Tate , nwaba , Brown are all guys who can be excellent role players on contenders . If KPJ and KMJ develop that’s two more playable guys . Wood has upside .

Gordon is expendable , but if he’s healthy that’s a proven , good defensive guard + streaky offense .

wall is the main guy we’ve got to turn around. tucker is gone sooner or later . Dipo too , I’m 95% sure .

We might move radically in a certain direction . I can see us being buyers in some cases too. Brown and nwaba are on short term deals I think . That’s a hard upcoming decision and definitely depends on the price .What can we get for them now , for Nwaba .. definitely nothing .

We are very flexible . I’m interested to see what we do

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Very flexible. I think you’re going to be pretty disappointed next Friday

snowconeman22, ryan_98 and HP3 like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden quit though, he wanted out, so waste of time even thinking about what would have been.

DD

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden-Gordon-Ryno = 2 seed
    Harden-Gordon-Wood = Not winning

Bo6 likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

The Thunder ended up with Ariza as part of a three-team trade that may already have netted them a second-round pick from the Heat (they get the better pick between Dallas' and Miami's in 2023) to go with the two first-round picks Oklahoma City has coming from the Heat. We can add this pick as part of the haul from that original trade, which also sent Justin Jackson and another second-round pick in 2026 to the Thunder.

It was always clear Ariza had no place in Oklahoma City's plans, so it was just a matter of what the Thunder could get in return before the deadline. Perhaps the most interesting part of this deal from Oklahoma City's standpoint is what it means for the team's trade exceptions.

By using part of the $19.5 million exception generated in the Danilo Gallinari trade to take on Leonard's contract, the Thunder can create a new exception for the value of Ariza's $12.8 million salary that won't expire until after the 2022 trade deadline. Oklahoma City will then have to choose between maintaining those trade exceptions this summer (including the giant $27.5 million one from the Steven Adams trade that expires during the offseason) or renouncing them in order to utilize cap space instead.

As for Leonard, who was fined $50,000 and suspended from team activities for a week as punishment for using an anti-Semitic slur while playing video games on a livestream last Monday, it seems unrealistic that he'll ever set foot in the Thunder's facilities. Leonard is out for the season due to a shoulder injury and his contract has a $10.2 million team option for 2021-22. Most likely, Oklahoma City will waive him to clear a roster spot after the trade deadline if he's not included in another trade before then.

topfive likes this.
  15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

A 2027 seconder rounder. Literally, 2027. I mean, that is gloat worthy?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Considering he has no value per cf’s and he’s now 35 who didn’t even report to okc, still getting returns yeah

Oh I forgot tilman has folks used to giving picks away rather than getting them. That’s the way to do it

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

A 2027 second round pick is as close to valueless as possible. And OKC had to take on a negative asset.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

they didn't take on a negative asset. they actually came out pretty well in this trade if you could just read the full details

meanwhile folks are ecstatic the rockets traded allen a young promising big for a bucks pick that's literally right before the 2nd round starts lol

HP3 likes this.
  19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

After looking at the trade, I agree with you. Plus they still received another trade exception out of it which expires in another year. Definitely gave them flexibility.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member