1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 28, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not a huge fan of Fields and Lance but Mond as the 4th ranked QB is a head scratcher.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Fantasma Negro

I think Jones is the target

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I hope

4. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Hell no to mac...he had the most dangerous weapons in the league so of course he looked good

Sooty and UTSA2step like this.
  5. Dirt Road

Dirt Road Member

I'm not sure Mond was the the 4th best QB in the state of Texas college's last year.

6. gucci888

Fine with that if we're picking 8 or later.

7. raining threes

So did Burrow last year.

Bet you didn't want him either.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...ilable-now-on-chris-simms-unbuttoned-podcast/

“He’s clearly No. 1 for me. Clearly. And there is space between him and Trevor Lawrence.” – Simms on Ranking Zach Wilson over Trevor Lawrence

“I feel like I’m back watching almost a Patrick Mahomes again. That’s how I feel when I’m watching him. It’s Aaron Rodgers-ish…He’s got the best arm in the draft.” – Simms on Wilson

“The talent is there, there’s no doubt, and to add on top of that, there’s untapped talent still here too…(He) has some inconsistencies, in my opinion, in his mechanics and throwing.” – Simms on Lawrence

“He’s a Top 10 pick, there’s no doubt in my mind.” – Simms on Mac Jones

STAMFORD, Conn. – March 4, 2021 – NBC Sports’ Chris Simms unveiled his quarterback draft rankings, discussing this year’s top QB prospects heading into the 2021 NFL Draft, on the Chris Simms Unbuttoned podcast, listing BYU QB Zach Wilson No. 1. In the episode, Simms ranks and breaks down Wilson, Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence, Alabama’s Mac Jones, Texas A&M’s Kellen Mond, Ohio State’s Justin Fields, and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance.

Simms, a third-round pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 2003 NFL Draft who played eight NFL seasons, is joined by NBC Sports’ Paul Burmeister on the podcast. The two offer in-depth breakdowns, rankings, and NFL comparisons for this year’s top quarterback prospects.

“I’m excited about this. I’m not one really to change my rankings a whole lot,” Simms said about evaluating this year’s quarterback draft class. “Last year I did get a little infatuated with Jordan Love early in the process, and I had him above Tua (Tagovailoa). I ultimately ended up switching them. I don’t think I’m going to have any switching this year. I really don’t. It’s been a good 10 days of really me just studying quarterbacks. I feel extremely confident…I’m excited about this whole class.”

Simms, who has had recent success in projecting college quarterbacks – including naming Patrick Mahomes as his most exciting prospect in 2017, listing Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen as his top-two QBs in 2018, and having Justin Herbert as his No. 2 QB last year – has ranked Wilson as his No. 1 quarterback in this year’s class, above presumptive No. 1 pick Lawrence.

“As I watched, and I watched every throw of the season, to me there’s distance between one and two here,” Simms said about Wilson. “I’m sorry. He’s clearly No. 1 for me. Clearly. And there is space between him and Trevor Lawrence.”

In the lead up to April’s NFL Draft, Simms will rank and break down every position group, provide a list of mid-late round sleeper prospects, and issue a final mock draft.

Simms’ Top Six QB prospects in the 2021 NFL Draft:

1. Zach Wilson, BYU
    2. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
    3. Mac Jones, Alabama
    4. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
    5. Justin Fields, Ohio State
    6 Trey Lance, North Dakota State

The following are highlights from Simms’ QB draft rankings:

No. 1: Zach Wilson, BYU

“I’m blown away by Zach Wilson. I feel like I’m back watching almost a Patrick Mahomes again. That’s how I feel when I’m watching him. It’s Aaron Rodgers-ish…His throwing is exceptional, ok? The consistency of the throwing right off the bat…He’s got the best arm in the draft…His arm is special, and his accuracy is special. He takes advantage of all that’s there to be had, but it’s the other aspect of his game that also blows me away when there is nothing there…It’s off the charts, it’s wow. I knew the kid had talent. I did not expect to see what I saw, where it was just one consistent highlight show game after game after game after game…He’s a very good athlete. His feet are off-the-charts good. I guess what I come down to with him, the only negative is maybe I wish he was a little bigger.”

Simms on why he ranked Wilson above Lawrence

“Trevor Lawrence, we’re talking long career. He has Hall of Fame-type talent and ability, all of those things. I’m not knocking him. I’m just saying the guy I see right now at No. 1 is really superstar special talent and NFL-ready right now.”

No. 2: Trevor Lawrence, Clemson

“Amazing. Big, strong arm. He’s played in a lot of big-time college football. The talent is there, there’s no doubt, and to add on top of that, there’s untapped talent still here too. There are things that could be fixed in his football game. The one thing that I came away with with Trevor Lawrence – and listen, there’s a lot of plays where I go, ‘Oh good throw, great throw,’ – I always say size is a skill. He has that over Zach Wilson…Trevor Lawrence’s running is special, but when it comes to just pure throwing, and even the decision-making, Zach Wilson’s offense is pro-ish…Trevor Lawrence is not quite there yet. It’s real good, there’s no doubt. But it’s a very college-y offense too. Again, the raw talent is really real, and he’s definitely worthy of the No. 1 pick. If Jacksonville wants to take him No. 1, you’re not going to sit here and see me go, ‘That’s so stupid. That’s ridiculous.’ No. I see it, it’s real. But what I’ll say to you is he’s not as good a thrower as Justin Herbert was last year…The one thing that I think jumped out to me and maybe I didn’t even realize when I’m watching on TV because they’re Clemson and they still win and they put up points and yards and things like that, but there are a number of easy throws delivered to him…and then he gets to throw to a lot of wide open people too, and I have no issue with that. But there’s also a number of throws where, and this is where I think I was a little taken aback by it, where I just go, ‘That ball is off-target. He’s wide open and he missed it.’ … Trevor Lawrence has some inconsistencies, in my opinion, in his mechanics and throwing.”

No. 3: Mac Jones, Alabama

“Him and Zach Wilson are more consistent throwing the ball than Trevor Lawrence, but his top-end talent and potential is not Trevor Lawrence. So that’s why I don’t have him here, but if you just asked me right now at this second who can hit the most bullseyes? I’m going to go Mac Jones is going to hit more bullseyes than Trevor Lawrence. He is. Mac Jones is another one I was secretly blown away by as I started to watch him…There are so many big-time NFL throws, it is unreal…His feet are extremely quick, he is unbelievable in the pocket, and he can move plenty well-enough to avoid traffic and make throws on the run and do all of that. I really was kind of blown away by Mac Jones because it was more than I was expecting…He has every throw in the book…He’s the quickest decision-maker that I’ve ever seen. He’s right on with Joe Burrow. That’s where he is special…He’s a Top 10 pick, there’s no doubt in my mind.”

No. 4: Kellen Mond, Texas A&M

“This is the guy that’s not even on the radar to where you just go…nobody’s talking about this guy? It’s a machine throwing the ball, like Mac Jones. I don’t understand why there’s no talk about this guy…I promise you this is the guy I’m going to get calls from my NFL friends today going, ‘Oh, I wish you wouldn’t have said anything about him!’ … He has got an unbelievable release, has great command of the ball. As a pure, consistent thrower, it’s better than Trevor Lawrence just as a pure, ‘Every throw on the money, perfect spiral.’ I don’t know why he’s not getting more hype…The mechanics are perfect every time, and like a Mac Jones, it doesn’t matter what the throw is, he is within the realm of his mechanics.”

No. 5: Justin Fields, Ohio State

“I’ve got more notes on Justin Fields than anybody in here because there’s things I like – he’s got elite traits, he’s got elite arm strength, pure power in his arm…I think the number one thing I would look at is he’s built like Cam Newton except he’s two inches shorter, and he’s special that way. His running is better than I think I realized…There is raw ability there, there is no doubt about that. The arm is big-time when he pieces it together, and that’s the problem I have, ‘when he pieces it together.’ Very, very inconsistent that way…He throws it good on the run but not great because it goes back to some of the technique issues and there’s inconsistency. He just tries to do it with pure talent sometimes…There’s a lot of technique issues that he has. He’s a little bit of a project in terms of throwing the football.”

No. 6: Trey Lance, North Dakota State

“I like the raw talent, I do. He has more consistency in his mechanics than Justin Fields. Really, as a thrower, I like him better than Justin Fields. The biggest thing and the biggest negative with Trey Lance right off the bat is just he hasn’t played enough…He’s a phenomenal runner. He’s probably the best, most-gifted runner of the group…That’s going to be his issue I think as people dive in more and more, they’re just going to go, ‘He just hasn’t thrown enough, he hasn’t played enough.’ I don’t get to see enough evidence to go, ‘Oh I can buy into him being a Top 15 or Top 20 pick.’”

To hear the full episode with full prospect breakdowns, click here.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Zach Wilson will need the same type of talent around him that Mahomes has.

Lawrence can carry a team like Deshaun.

Please PLEASE let the jags get cute and we can send Deshaun to the Jets for 2 and nab Lawrence. That would be a coup!

Sooty and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When has Deshaun carried a team?
    I agree Lawrence is better than Wilson. I think Wilson has Mahomes type potential still.
    Mahomes is still far superior than Watson.

BossHogg713 and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You know what they say about opinions right?

You didnt see Watson carry this team last year?? Ohh thats right "4-12". Maybe he should have played free safety too.

Mahomes reminded me how easy he has it in KC during the SB. Once he got rattled it was over. "but his ankle had a boo boo" .. Im stringing my violin as we speak.

If Watson was in KC he might have TWO rings by now.

Sooty and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, Reid sure had a ton of Super Bowls prior to Mahomes. I forgot about all of those.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Mac Jones please and let him sit for a year as well.

14. gucci888

Did he really say Mond is better than Lawrence from a pure consistent throwing standpoint?

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I watched every A&M game. He is terribly inconsistent. One game, even quarter to quarter, he will be great or terrible. If you’re desperate for a QB maybe a third rounder in my opinion. He also seems to choke in big games.

gucci888 likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Do you really want to put Andy Reids career under a microscope? IMO the KC Chiefs were poised to win a SB regardless - if they could just find a QB that was better than Alex Smith. They zeroed in on Mahomes and he was just that. Better than Alex Smith. Some guys want to put on blinders when it comes to the rest of that team and how it was constructed. So Im guessing then that Pat Mahomes "carries" that team? I cant wait for him and that team to face adversity on a constant basis as has Deshaun and see how they deal with it. I mean if a Tampa 2 in the Super Bowl can rattle both Reid and Mahomes then thats kind of eyebrow raising?

Do you think if Reid goes with Watson instead of Mahomes they both have the same career arcs in the opposite situation? I dont think Mahomes is shifty enough to avoid the g*ngbang that the QB here has to endure on a regular. The WRs are not good enough, especially when the team doesnt believe in "safety blankets" ... where would Mahomes be without Kelce?

I'll save my "greatness" comments on Mahomes when he can do it without anything around him - THAT would be impressive.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Like you said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. You’re in the very small minority.
    And Mahomes is just as shifty as Watson, Watson is a little bit faster overall. After surgeries it might be closer.

And just for the record, Tampa doesn’t run a Tampa 2.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Tampa 'doesn't USUALLY run a Tampa 2' -- that is what made the move so fascinating and amazing to watch in real time the Bucs had the PERFECT personnel to run it and caught KC off guard. What do you want to call it? Two High? One High? TB only rushed 4 or 5 guys most of the night and sat in zone and gave up the sidelines. It wasn't some brand new approach, even the Bucs were surprised how effective it was. Tampa 2 --- excuse me -- TWO HIGH shells should not give any NFL QB cause for concern.

We should all get re-familiarized with the Tampa 2 shell here with Lovie Smith coming in. It will probably get torched most of the year.

One of Watsons innate abilities is to feel the rush and just slither out SOMEWAY - I dont even know how he does it. Mahomes has a tendency to ball up in the fetal position when the protection breaks down if there are no open targets -- he is quick enough to get to the sideline but is not a threat with his wheels other than throwing it on the run where his arm talent is able to shine. He's a great QB, but I'll never say Watson is night and day behind him when nobody seems to want to apply each respective contextual situation to the comparison.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

2 high safety is a common safety alignment. Bowles runs an attacking 3-4 defense. I don’t know what you were looking at but they were all over Mahomes that game. There were literal memes made about it.
    As to the rest of it, I just don’t know what you’re talkin about. Mahomes is known to escape trouble and make plays out of the pocket. That’s literally one of his biggest strengths.
    I’m not going to keep having this discussion. Not one pundit or expert thinks Watson is as good as Mahomes. Not one. Stop comparing Watson to the absolute best in the game and compare him to his contemporaries.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...nse-patrick-mahomes/28ve0eg9airb1lf4c7n4cvxtk

again - Mahomes will keep looking like sht unless he has a perfect situation around him. Wake me up when he actually carries a team.