1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Ringer] The NBA's Most Unconventional Rebuild

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

fattz, D-rock, Rashmon and 8 others like this.
  2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Cade could turn this organization around, problem is that usually balls will say so. Francis getting Yao was almost a miracle. Just keeping this in mind.

3. Williamson

Cade is a no go for me. As far as I'm concerned, players from Dallas and Salt Lake City should be banned from wearing a Rockets uniform.

Corrosion, GradyMcTracy and sydmill like this.
  4. sydmill

sydmill Member

This article lays out why tanking this year is/was so crucial. The difference between adding a top 4 pick to the fold and a, likely, high teens/low 20s pick from Miami is f***ing dramatic. If the Rockets convey their pick this season then they will, almost certainly, have to tank again next season. I just do not see a way around that. Compounding the problem is Wood. Wood's prime already lines up tenuously with KPJ's and whoever the Rockets might draft this season (ie his prime is over/ending when the younger guys reach theirs). Pushing that out an additional year compounds that problem with the drafted player. IF the Rockets keep their (top 4) pick and IF they add pieces by trading Dipo, Tucker, House and McLemore then I think, with some smart drafting, they could begin the process of developing their team (not tanking) as early as next season. They probably still won't be a good team but they will at least be trying to improve and win as much as they can. Just my .02.

kjayp, fattz, francis 4 prez and 9 others like this.
  5. sydmill

sydmill Member

I would probably pick Cunningham since there seems to be consensus that he is the top player but I really, really like Kuminga and I am coming around to Green as players I might prefer. Jesus I hope that the Rockets have invested in some quality scouts... I shudder to think that Patrick Fertitta is watching youtube highlights "preparing" for the draft...

D-rock, mikol13 and Mr Woods like this.
  6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Hmm, what’s so unconventional about it?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not going to be a choice to be terrible again next season - they'll be terrible, whether they're picking 1st or 21st this year. Hopefully there will be a 52% chance of hope.

#7 SamFisher, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That they don't really own any of their own picks and have have get creative on how to restock picks and with a starless roster, Dipo being a bottom value asset, and Gordon and Wall making $60?/yr making their contracts poison to move.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Good article because it goes along with everything I have been saying. :)

We need to trade our pieces (Oladipo, Tucker, Gordon but I will also add House to fodder) to aquire young talent / picks.

Bet on Wood, Tate, build around Wall not because you want, but because you need.

Also, purposely losing games to force a better pick is a flawed strategy as it is a gamble, after all.
    So play like you need to win, and develop these guys

Amel likes this.
  10. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed. But I think they could avoid tanking next season if they scored premium talent in the '21 draft. They will still be a bad/lottery team but at least they could be a team on the rise with a route to respectability and contention. IF KPJ develops and can be viewed as a foundational piece (ie he can be depended upon) and IF Wood can maintain the production that he has and IF the Rockets add a Cunningham, Kuminga, Mobley, Green or Suggs then that is a heck of a foundation to begin to rebuild just next season. You add an additional role player or 2 with the Rockets remaining '21 picks, another foundational piece and more role players in the '22 draft and whatever they do with Wall and Gordon and this team begins to look like something. But it all starts with that top 4 pick this year. IMHO.

I think your answer to those IFs determines your outlook of the franchise.

11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Pretty decent article when you read it, incredulously awful title that makes little sense.

12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

The article shares what most of us have been saying ... trade, tank, and gamble

this is what’s best for the future of the organization.. it may be some time before we have another generational talent... that’s why guys like harden are “generational”

D-rock, lionaire and Nook like this.
  13. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Yo Napalm, how do I get into such a prestigious school of management??

14. Williamson

That it has to be done without our own draft picks for the most part due to the Westbrook trade. They likened it to the unconventional path the Nets had to take after the Garnett/Pierce debacle.

15. Williamson

I don't think the title is bad, but if you're titling the article that, maybe spend more than a single sentence mentioning how it's unconventional.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

What’s been amazing about this losing streak is the Rockets have plenty of talent. Wall, Gordon, Dipo and Tucker are above average to very good players. It’s just the entire team is shooting poorly, the scheme isn’t leading to easy buckets and the defense has fallen off a cliff. Now obviously Wood is missing and a whole lot more important than any of us realized.

It all comes down to getting that top 4 pick. You add a Cade to Wood, Wall, and KPJ and you’re rebuild is well on its way. If you kept Gordon, Tucker, and Dipo and added Cade along with Wall and Wood AND all the injuries and shooting came back to normal you’d be right back in the playoff hunt.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Williamson

I see so many people worried about Wood's prime or his willingness to re-sign if we haven't turned the corner by the time his contract is up for extension.

I don't get it. He's been a wonderful surprise. But do any of you really think he's the guy that is going to do what Harden couldn't and bring a trophy to Houston?

If we didn't have Wall and Gordon under contract it might be different. At that point, you hope you get a star from the draft and then hope Wood is good enough to talk two star players into coming here in free agency in the next two seasons to join him. I could totally see Wood becoming good enough to be the 3rd best player in a big three. But we don't have the cap room to explore that route because we do have Wall and Gordon.

Ultimately, I just think if he's not that guy that can lead us to the promised land there is nothing to worry about. We have options! We can see if there is anybody that would trade us a top 3 pick on Draft day that we believe can change our franchise! We can likely trade him at any given moment for a hoard of future picks. Include him with an expiring Wall as filler in a few years and a few picks if a max player that can change our fortunes becomes available. Luka? Giannis?

Wood raising his stock isn't a problem at all. You guys just need to accept that he's unlikely to be here by the time the Rockets are competitive again.

18. thekad

thekad Member

One good player, no good draft picks, owe their own draft picks, bad contracts including an all-time albatross, and a cheap and stupid owner who is already a laughingstock around the league.

What teams would trade positions with the Rockets?

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

agreed...by the time the Rockets are relevant again, Wood will either be long gone or in his thirties

this dude isn’t some Embiid or Jokic...he really doesn’t factor much in my desire to tank for top picks and rebuild via the draft

Williamson and Nook like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Unconventional is a real nice way of saying r****ded

Invisible Fan and D-rock like this.