1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX mask mandate lifted soon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TWS1986, Mar 2, 2021.

1. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Surprised no fellow liberals have posted this yet. Seems incredibly short sighted to me, but Texas isn't exactly known for great leadership. Not a guarantee he lifts the mandate for the state today, but still concerning to me. Less than 10% of Texans are vaccinated depending on where you get your numbers. For anyone more in tune with politics than me, if it's lifted... can Houston still enforce anything? Or perhaps at the Federal level?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/25/greg-abbott-mask-order-end/

The press conference is today at 1:30 pm.

srrm and jiggyfly like this.
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Abbott couldn't care less about people. He cares about businesses so he'll open the flood gates and tell businesses they can choose if you have to wear a mask or not.

Expect bars to fully open, Schools to reopen and people to get sick.

#2 REEKO_HTOWN, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    T_Man, DVauthrin, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The number of at-risk people is shrinking rapidly as the most vulnerable are being vaccinated. If you want to still wear a mask, you certainly can, but it's a little silly to demand that all others wear a mask just because you are afraid. The mask has a huge psychological impact on people and delays the return to normal... thereby causing more damage than good at this point.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We've won, it's over!!!

[​IMG]

Nook, Surfguy, dobro1229 and 2 others like this.
  5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Right? Lmao.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well let me tell you the bad news. Most Businesses will keep the mask policies in place for at least another year. It's also their right. They are not going to want the blowback. Maybe some small businesses will give you an option but they will be in mostly rural areas.

Lar, Invisible Fan, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

For some strange reason, I never get anything of value out of your posts.

pugsly8422, malakas, Nook and 11 others like this.
  8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You posted something in the Debate & Discussion Forum, presumably to debate it, no? Or did you only want to hear from people who agreed with you?

Or is your response merely borne out of frustration because you are unable to assemble a defense in response to my points?

GOOD DAY

AXG, waytookrzy079 and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  9. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I've been on this board a long time my friend. I've seen your posts over the years. You're entitled to them, but no I don't agree with them. I am for constructive debate with reasonable posts from Republicans though. No issue there.

HP3 likes this.
  10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our no mask, no lockdown Republicans making decisions for this state were the first to push opening up and easing restrictions in May. We saw how that ended up. They simply don't care about saving lives, or doing the smart thing to protect Texans. We still are averaging over 225 deaths a day, which is higher than August, and have millions left to get vaccinated. We haven't even moved past the 65 or older category for vaccinating people. We are nowhere close to being safe by letting it spread again to those who don't have immunity protection. Masks help, at least until we've all gotten our vaccinations.

All we can do is hope these "business, oil, money, power & guns" over saving lives types never get elected again. They will never change. They simply don't care that their "freedom from masks" is dangerous.They all have blood on their hands, but made sure they got their vaccinations first. Disgusting.

Lar, HP3 and TWS1986 like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the good news is that Republicans are least likely to want to get the covid vaccine:

https://www.axios.com/republicans-c...ncy-023bf32f-3d68-4206-b906-4f701b87c39f.html

thus it stands to reason that sooner or later it will simply be unmasked and unvaccinated Republicans spreading the virus to other unmasked and unvaccinated Republicans. And, once all the Republicans die off, the world will be a better place.

so be patient, I guess is the moral of the story

Nook, Invisible Fan, JumpMan and 3 others like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

This is great news for 2019 corona and all its siblings.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...t-city-to-record-all-major-COVID-15990299.php

Houston is the nation’s first city to record every major variant of the novel coronavirus — many of which are more contagious than the original strain.

“The numbers of the major variants we have identified in our large sequencing study are disquieting,” said Dr. James Musser, who leads the team of experts at Houston Methodist Hospital behind the new finding. “The genome data indicate that these important variants are now geographically widely distributed in the Houston metropolitan region.”

HP3 and deb4rockets like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Patient is good. Summer would makes sense to go ahead and essentially be back to normal, if we don’t screw it up over the next few months.

HP3 and deb4rockets like this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m proud of you for crawling out of your hole for the first time in 5 months.

REEKO_HTOWN, Nook, Lar and 7 others like this.
  15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We have a mask mandate?

AXG, HP3, marky :) and 6 others like this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you been out lately ? Feels like it’s already lifted

Lurch and Andre0087 like this.
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s from all the visitors going to the stripclubs
    Made famous by Harden

BossHogg713 likes this.
  18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

no ****, I know.

tinman likes this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

This.

I'd love it if we could base easing restrictions on math, instead of it coming from a jackoffs political whim.

Can we wait till our 7-day average of cases drops below 1k? Until 7-day average deaths drop below 50?

deb4rockets and HP3 like this.
  20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Texas still has a 13% positive rate on tests. I mean I guess this is better than the days when it was close to 20% but more than half the US is now below 5% so Texas's positive rate is still horrendous compared to the rest of the US.

But I suppose we shouldn't be surprised by this.

deb4rockets and Nook like this.