1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the democratic party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

CPAC b****es

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you said you didn't like Trump. They are calling the GOP Trump's party at that Convention.

TWS1986 likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Trump is a salesman. I hesitate to say great salesman but his support is threefold.

1.He is unashamed to play the culture war
    2.He is a salesman
    3. There is really no other Republican anywhere close to challenging his popularity

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is the best summation of the Democratic voters vs Republican ... fans? The reflection of success of the Democratic Party is really just about this.... are Biden and the Democrats in Congress successful at passing the legislation we want???

If no legislation is passed in 100 days then Democrats will be pissed, and I guarantee you it won’t be Biden as much as it will be Kristen Sinema and Joe Manchin. Biden has already done about everything he can with Executive Orders and we’ll healthily critique when he lets the generals and the Pentagon escalate violence, cozy up to dictators, and not take a harder stance against ICE’s tactics.

However we are perfectly capable of critiquing him because we hired him to do a job... not worship him like a golden god.

jiggyfly, fchowd0311 and deb4rockets like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Can we put all the boogeymen that the media talks about, Antifa and white supremacist, on island with weapons and let them go at it, while the media films it first hand. Problem solved.

25 years ago when I first met my brother, he was a boot wearing, ska listening skinhead which was a little off putting to me since I'm a minority. Found out that he was a "anti racist skinhead" which gave me some relief. I didn't want to kick my future wife's brother's ass. Turns out that they are just a bunch of kids looking to fight, and fighting nazi skinheads was the morally acceptable cause and most convenient fight. Some people just need **** to do. LOL

#26 rockbox, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It should be voter suppression. Trump supporters are a symptom, not the disease.

A well functioning republic voting system will put representatives in place that reflect the values of the majority. With voter suppression/gerrymandering we get GOP who are either crazy and/or beholden to big money interests.

TWS1986 likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Forwards from Os

9. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Is it CA or NY?

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"How to Increase Trump’s Influence":

http://theglitteringeye.com/how-to-increase-trumps-influence/

There are a few stories being commented on today. For example, progressives are beginning to figure out that they can’t just push their agenda through the conference because there aren’t enough of them to do it. It’s not just intransigent Republicans. It’s Senate Democrats who disagree with them. It’s the Senate parliamentarian doing her job.

But mostly Donald Trump is sucking all of the air out of the room again via his appearance at CPAC (an event to which I pay no attention). When will media outlets figure out that the way to increase his influence is to devote so much of their attention to him? That’s how he secured the Republican nomination for the presidency in 2016. It’s how he got elected while spending a fraction of the money the Clinton campaign did.

Cover? Yes. But then move on.

I recognize the media are on the horns of a dilemma. They capture more eyeballs when they devote all of their time to Trump. Just say “No”.​

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I am one of the people who thinks the national media should stop covering every time the guy says a word.... however there is actually very little evidence that CNN and MSNBC covering him does anything to harm the Democratic party.

Trump won in 2016 when he ran essentially on a Bernie plus racism platform, and then lost nearly every election after that. He lost Senate vacancy seats. He lost the 2018 mid terms by losing the House in such a big way. He lost the re-election. He then lost the Senate on his way out by screwing with Georgia's elections.

Ever since he won in 2016, the national media has covered EVERYTHING he did and said like a Reality show, and he lost .... ALOT. I think the reason why he won in 2016 had nothing to do with the way they covered him, and had everything to do with independent voters buying his BS at the time that he actually could deliver what he was promising.

What does matter is that the Democratic party and the Biden Admin is able to convey a compare and contrast come November of 2022 and November of 2024. They don't NEED to be covered as much as Trump is covered in his stupid boring reality TV show. They just need people to see that "Hey... the Democrat's were serious about actually getting stuff done, and I'm going to go with THAT vs this Fascist Narcist who is promising me everything by the way of a dictatorship."

People MIGHT choose Trump again regardless of how much air time the media gives Trump. But it won't have to do with that. It'll be about making a decision about whether or not they believe that the Democratic process of governing still works to get stuff done, or it'll be a decision that Democracy is dead, and I'm just gonna go with the Autocrat who is going to blow it all up for real this time.

The one goal for the Democratic party is to prove through passing legislation that helps real Americans that Democracy works. That's it... nobody cares about Trump other than the fact that he's the Autocratic alternative to Democracy.

#32 dobro1229, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I know it's frustrating how accurate she is and how so many cqrry water for establishment polticians while they get promised multi million dollar board seats after legislative in said company's favor during their reign.

16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You abolish the filibuster or override the parliamentarian, pass the legislation you wanted to but now what? You've set a precedent for the GOP to do the same when they get control of both chambers again and we yoyo back and forward passing and repealing laws like a banana republic.

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Democrats Need an 11th Commandment: Progressives have a bad habit of disrespecting Clinton, Obama and others who’ve gone before them":

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democrats-need-an-11th-commandment-11614641569?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

Democrats Need an 11th Commandment
    Progressives have a bad habit of disrespecting Clinton, Obama and others who’ve gone before them.

By Rahm Emanuel
    March 1, 2021 6:32 pm ET

Take a split-screen snapshot of America’s two political parties. Congressional Republicans, having just witnessed President Trump literally sic a mob on them, have remained overwhelmingly loyal. Democrats are trying to build support for President Biden’s Covid-relief package by disparaging former President Obama’s efforts to save the economy in 2009. It’s a study in contrasts, and a master class in the relationship between messaging and politics.

Democrats need to tear a page from the Republican playbook. When interviewing for a job, you don’t lead with self-loathing. Democrats need to assert that they’ve got a record of success. If the GOP could claim that a past Republican president had created 20 million jobs, do you think they would disparage him as a RINO—a Republican in name only? If a GOP president had sparked the longest peacetime economic expansion in the nation’s history, do you think they’d label his efforts as “tepid”?

These aren’t trick questions—of course they wouldn’t. Nevertheless, it’s chic today in certain quarters of the Democratic Party to disparage Presidents Clinton and Obama, who actually did those things, on the misguided pretense that criticizing the progressive past will somehow open the door to a more robust progressive future.

Republicans rarely make that sort of mistake. They know how powerfully a historical narrative can alter the contemporary political landscape. For decades, the GOP has consistently reminded the public how Ronald Reagan cut taxes, strengthened the military and slashed government programs. They rarely focus on the taxes he raised, the nuclear-weapons programs he mothballed, or the New Deal and Great Society programs he left intact.

The resulting narrative legacy has provided the GOP with a crucial foundation for subsequent success. By burnishing the claim that economic growth can cover the revenue lost through tax cuts, Republicans seeded the ground for future political and legislative victories. They set the stage for the Bush and Trump tax cuts of 2001, 2003 and 2017. The tale Republicans tell is the reason they often carry an edge on the economy.

As someone who has spent the bulk of his career working in and around progressive politics, I find Democrats’ failure to grasp this core concept increasingly befuddling because it’s so self-defeating. Granted, I have a dog (or two) in the fight. But there’s no denying that Messrs. Clinton and Obama inherited flagging economies from their predecessors and handed their successors engines of prosperity. I don’t understand how anyone in the progressive community still believes there’s political upside to dismissing progressive presidential accomplishments. During the 2016 primaries, the left-wing Nation magazine ran an article titled “Note to Hillary: Clintonomics Was a Disaster for Most Americans.” On the campaign trail last year, Mr. Biden called fellow Democrats’ criticism of Mr. Obama in the Detroit debate “bizarre.”

Take the precedent that’s most frequently at issue today—the Recovery Act of 2009. Mr. Obama’s economic strategy not only prevented the Great Recession from morphing into a full-fledged depression, but sparked a record-setting recovery. The legislation he signed was far bigger than any previous stimulus bill and was as robust as Congress would allow. It was also only one part of Mr. Obama’s broader economic agenda, which included restructuring General Motors and Chrysler, investing in the early renewable energy industry, expanding healthcare coverage and stabilizing the financial system.

Most important, the Obama administration’s comprehensive effort was a resounding success. During Mr. Obama’s tenure, the economy flipped from losing an average of 362,000 a month during his first year in office to gaining an average of 200,000 a month during his last year. Why would any progressive want to label any of that as “minimalist”?

Take the Clinton administration. On the issues progressives talk most about today—job creation, poverty reduction, the list goes on—Mr. Clinton’s eight years often set economic records. During his tenure, the income gap separating the poorest and richest fifths of American families dramatically narrowed. The economy gained more than 20 million jobs. In 1995 Clinton was so intent on saving Medicare and Medicaid from cuts that he stood firm during a Republican-led government shutdown. Far from claiming that he was some sort of “Republican lite,” progressives should own Mr. Clinton’s accomplishments because they provide a foundation for what we want to do in the future.

Decades ago, Reagan coined what many call the 11th commandment: “Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican.” Democrats don’t need to pretend that every Democrat who ever held office was infallible. But if they want to pursue a progressive agenda and win elections on the economy, they should burnish their own narrative of success.

Franklin Roosevelt established Social Security, and Harry Truman improved it. Lyndon Johnson’s Medicaid planted the seeds for Mr. Clinton’s Children’s Health Insurance Program and Mr. Obama’s Affordable Care Act. Mr. Clinton made the tax code more progressive by doubling the tax credit for the working poor, Mr. Obama doubled it again, and now Mr. Biden is working to take the next step. To build a movement, you shouldn’t talk down what you’ve already achieved on behalf of the American people.

Some will continue to argue that criticizing Messrs. Clinton and Obama can serve to stiffen Mr. Biden’s spine, pushing him to be big and bold. There’s no need—I can attest that Joe Biden is as tough and determined as they come. But the broader point remains. If you want to win elections, you need to assert that your record demands the public’s respect and confidence. Progressives undermine their own candidates with baseless self-doubt. Democrats should be as proud of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama as Republicans are of Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump. Yesterday’s successes pave the way for tomorrow’s triumphs.

Mr. Emanuel was a senior adviser to President Clinton and chief of staff to President Obama. He represented Illinois’s Fifth Congressional District, 2003-09, and served as mayor of Chicago, 2011-19.

#37 Os Trigonum, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    jiggyfly likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A solid majority of Americans support a 15 min wage, the vast majority don't support a 7.25 min wage.

Let's get it.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Been waiting for this.

Who are moderates supposed to fall in line with and who is telling progressives to fall in line?

got to find your outrage somewhere.:rolleyes:

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

@ElPigto

This is what I am talking about.