1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Eyes of Texas Problem

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by don grahamleone, Oct 23, 2020.

1. raining threes

I didn't say that.

What I said and I would have no problem with is if athletes feel like you do and want to turn down a $250,000 education (Hardly nothing) over a longstanding tradition, then more power to them and dont let the door hit them in the ass on the way out.

Personally I think the NCAA should do away with athletic scholarships and if people want to walk on and play sports then more power to them. BTW, I know this will never happen.

2. raining threes

Ask yourself why this is?

3. ballgame

ballgame Member

What is the saying?? If you don't correct something, it has a tendency of repeating itself.

Prior to the Mid 70's Black Players couldn't sign with UT, A&M and similar schools alike. Some of the same people who were Boosters, Officals or whatever then are still apart of those programs or have an influence there and NOW they are making money off those same Black Players they didn't want (REMINDS ME OF MIKE JONES.....BACK THEN THEY DIDN'T WANT ME, NOW THEY ALL ON ME).

So, basically THEY are only using Black Players for what they need. UT is NOT going to change anything, it's tradition, it's who they are!

#103 ballgame, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, these donors are really short-sighted. It’s been a bad decade for the big three sports at UT. Referring to players as “the blacks” and threatening to prevent them from jobs in Texas will be mentioned in every recruit’s living room for the foreseeable future by A&M, OU, Tech, etc. These dumb alumni keep digging a hole for this program.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Everything about this controversy is stupid. It's a stupid school song. It's stupid to think the song is racist because it was tuned to a song over a century ago. The boosters are stupid to threaten and control the school over it. Everyone is entrenched into their position of stupidity.

Pringles and jiggyfly like this.
  6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

7. Buck Turgidson

Really? NVM, I gotcha.

#107 Buck Turgidson, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  8. Buck Turgidson

That's ****ed up, and I think anyone who wants to stand kneel or squat should be able to do so. And I will say that the Alumni donation system at UT is ****ed, and has been for years.

That Athletic Dept is self sufficient if it wants to be, alumni need to donate money to the education side of the Uni, not to build bigger scoreboards.

Pringles, Rudyc281 and rockbox like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

This, and This.

Pringles, Rudyc281 and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Brando2101

11. Brando2101

Can’t wait until we trash the stupid song and fans like this quit supporting the team bc of it. Get rid of the mentally imbalanced fans that don’t give a **** about the kids actually going out there every week to play the game. Can’t wait.

Major and Pringles like this.
  12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Again. I think getting butt hurt over something that needs to be explained to you is crazy. That being said, I'm totally for the freedom to voice displeasure. This is F'ed

Rudyc281, jiggyfly and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He'd rather see an all-white team of farmers' sons go out there and run the wishbone while getting clobbered by every opponent instead of considering why black student athletes are voicing unhappiness.

FWIW I, personally, think that the reasoning behind this controversy is flimsy. But it's not my "battle" and, frankly, I don't have the energy to care about it all that much. I don't fault students for interpreting history through their modern perspectives. Hell, students are always more "radical" about things than adults would prefer. I do fault old alumni for showing their ass and dragging down the reputation of this university among African American recruits and students who are woefully underrepresented on campus. It's mind boggling how they don't see that behaving like this will only serve to harm the football program they profess to love so much. They want a bunch of "nice young men" who can wear a tie, shut up and take photos with them at Longhorn Foundation galas while also calling them "the blacks" behind their backs.

I'm an alumnus who doesn't have skin in the game and is so far removed from school that trying to forcefully interject my perspective on this would be ludicrous and kind of pathetic. I have qualms with the ever-growing influence of CRT on education (I was exposed to its nascent days during some RTF classes at UT) and think that it's incumbent on academia to combat illiberal and retributive discourse on campus. But, that's a long-term problem that won't be solved by students and old donors screaming at each other over a damn song.

The shelf life of the Eyes of Texas is what, four years? If UT were to stop playing it tomorrow, the class of 2025 (see how old and insane I sound even talking about them?) would have very little connection to it and it would slip into institutional memory only to be sung softly, in a drunken lull, as the sun rises over West Campus frat houses who still honor Robert E. Lee.

Brando2101 likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good luck with your racist boomer donors

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/0...-donors-emails/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Brando2101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those players would not be turning down a 250,000 education, they would just go get another one.

Pringles and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So cancel culture is ok now?

17. raining threes

That's not the point.

The point is they are getting paid about $50,000 a yr to play sports.

That's not what I would call getting paid nothing

18. raining threes

Hope you live a long time.

19. raining threes

They're getting paid an education of $ 250,000 or more over a 5 to 6 year period or the equivalent of at least $50,000 or more a year. Hardly chump change and most are able to get into a university that their grades would never allow them to get into. Plus it also gives them the opportunity to network with some of the most powerful people in the state of Texas. Most would kill to have the advantages these athletes have. But hey to each their own and I'm sure I wont be changing your opinion on this subject.

20. raining threes

They can participate.

But there will be consequences.

Kind of like free speech, you can say what ever you like, but if you racial,sexist,homophobic language there will be consequences.