1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

If Porter’s floor is averaging 20/5/5 over the next four years ...then getting moved for a player like TMAC, we are in damn good shape.

I am just saying we should keep our hopes in perspective, we may be reaching because it’s a time of massive transition and we are putting all our hopes in one talented young player.

Truthfully if Porter turns into a player the caliber of Cat Mobley we have struck absolute gold. Stevie Franchise level play would be a virtual miracle considering what we gave up to get him.

D-rock and clos4life like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter is more talented than Cat already IMO.

Richie_Rich, saleem, pr0wler and 4 others like this.
  3. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Agreed! It’s so hard to throttle back the excitement though when watching him play. He certainly has the talent and physical tools to be special. I just hope we can put a core together where it doesn’t all fall on one kid.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Agreed, he has more talent than Cuttino, but expectations wise if he has Cat’s career we scored big on that trade.

Playing at Stevie’s level could accelerate the rebuild into a 2-3 year process, I hope he’s an all star in the league but I’m also wanting to manage expectations.

D-rock likes this.
  5. csc177

csc177 Member

Believe it or not, Porter has Harden-like talent. Extremely skilled with the ball, tight dribble, great footwork, smooth stroke, unorthodox way of moving and getting to rim, is actually strong (to have such a slim frame doesn’t get knocked off his line to basket), athletic, long arms.

IF and it’s a big IF he can put it all together (upstairs) he’ll make those JH comparisons ring true.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sounds like it's time for us to bring him up, not surround him with talent so we can save luxury tax money, watch him ask to be traded, then send him off for a bunch of draft picks so we can start this rebuild. Who's with me? Tilman's got my back!

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  7. RLP55

RLP55 Member

Best case scenario is Vipers get into the playoffs. That would keep him away from the drama/mess of the Rockets for at least another week to 10 days. That locker room must be getting toxic.

KPJ is down there for a reason beyond honing his basketball skills. Hopefully he is getting into a productive regime and developing structure in his life. He is leading the team to wins without their second best player, KMJ. This has to be great for his confidence. By this point in the bubble he shouldn't be feeling any pressure to be the savior of the franchise. Just chill, hoop, and hang with other 20 year olds.

In the meantime hopefully Stone can purge the roster of VO, Tucker, and the likes of House and Mclemore. Best KPJ comes up after they are dealt. By that time Wood should be back and the two of them start to build some kind of chemistry moving forward.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. We wouldn't have gotten him for less than a lottery pick before his lockerroom incident. He was always a good prospect.

If we get Mobley we strike gold, but you are talking about those guys in their prime, I'm referring to a young Steve Francis: 18/5/5 on mediocre efficiency. I think that's a fair floor, probably lower than prime Mobley (who was an excellent two way player).

Zen Tabak likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

#Truth

I dont want Porter anywhere near Wall, Silas or Stone right now.

Heck I fear for Tate, Nwaba, Sterling and Wood as it is.

Mason Jones has already had his soul nearly crushed.

groovemachine likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

11. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Basically got a Top 5 calibre pick for free. This is why the draft can be overrated. You have guys like Marvin Bagley drafted at #2, and then KPJ and Jae'Sean Tate as castoffs on bargain bin contracts lol

DonKnock, Bo6, RudyTBag and 3 others like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Porter didnt have a very good 2nd half.

DonKnock and gfab-babyboi like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter needs to save Rockets ass Thor style!

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sorry for reposting this video if someone did it already. Was put out there 12 hrs ago.

D-rock, Shark44 and So Saith Red like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They got similar hair styles also.

pr0wler, D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

We really got guys in here talking about grooming and investing all the time and effort in KPJ only to trade him??? SMH "fake fans" lol

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.