1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. the shark

the shark Member

I guess I deserve your response. Sorry if I was too harsh.

Serious question. What makes you think Whitley will be in the rotation next year? Is it just hoping he is (which I can appreciate)? He has struggled immensely just getting guys out in the minors. So from my perspective I'm going to wait to see if he can figure things out in the minors before I start to get excited about him let alone being in the rotation in the majors.

That said, you're entitled to your opinion, and sorry I was too harsh. It's a fan forum where we get to share our thoughts + opinions.

houstonstime and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Its not personal, but when somebody talks ****, I’m going to talk back.

Whitley was a top 10 prospect in all of baseball 2 years ago. He is still the top prospect in Houston’s system and one of the Top 100 prospects in the league by almost every publication. No evaluator has ever questioned his stuff. Click obviously felt strongly enough about him to add him to the 40 man roster, and not trade him.

Whitley’s bust potential has steadily risen and continues to rise every time we see a red flag like that interview. But when projecting future rosters (which is always pretty much a crap shoot, so whenever I do it, it’s for fun and to generate discussion), the top prospects are first in line, and Whitley is still very much one of Houston’s top prospects.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

100% agree on Whitley. it's a really narrow pathway to being an uncoachable star player in baseball. I'm not expecting anything from him anytime soon.

4. xcrunner51

Bro, chill out. You post a lot of stuff ( "for fun and to generate discussion") and a lot of it is subject to disagreement. From what i can tell you're not some insider whose opinion is any more valid than anyone else.

raining threes likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Who’s not chill? I am definitely not some insider, and I definitely have no issues with somebody disagreeing with me; that’s what this site is all about, discussion. But if somebody says something like “your lame-ass projections”, Im going to respond in kind.

6. xcrunner51

A guy who thinks most of your listicles and projections are garbage and who wishes you stayed at Crawfishboxes and never came to this board. I just stopped commenting that your posts are garbage cuz you're also a snowflake who gets upset when anyone disagrees with you.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So I guess the real question would be, why don’t you just put me on ignore?

There’s a difference between disagreeing with someone and being caustic. If you can’t see the difference between “I disagree and here’s why” and “your **** is garbage”, you’re the problem.

I’m certainly not trying to piss anybody off by making comments about the Astros farm system. If you find any of my lists or prospect opinions offensive, that’s pretty silly.

#187 Snake Diggit, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  8. xcrunner51

Been functionally ignoring your posts for the most part. You post so much that if i put you on ignore then i'd have no context to a large number of posts in the sub-forum generated by your 'fun, discussion-generating' posts.

It's a message board, people are just as entitled to call your stuff stupid as they are to applaud it.

I don't find your stuff offensive, usually just nonsensically skewed. its when people disagree with you (politely or impolitely) and you clapback... Gets old.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't know what to expect from him except a lot of Ks, but I expect something will happen soon. Astros, like almost every team, will be short on arms this season and he gets thrown in as relief if he can't cut it as a starter.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fangraphs hasn't released their Astros list yet, but from their Top 100+ list we know that they will have 3 grade 50 prospects and no grade 55+. Looking at the top end talent from the AL, that puts them ahead of the Red Sox, Angels, and A's, in a group with the White Sox, Royals, and Rangers. The Orioles, Indians, Tigers, Twins, Yankees, Mariners, Rays, and Blue Jays appear to have significantly more top end talent than the Astros at this time. Having the 3rd best roster in the AL with the farm ranked between 9th and 12th isn't a terrible spot. When factoring in finances, I think the Yankees, Twins, and Blue Jays have brighter long-term outlooks, but otherwise Houston is in fine shape since they should continue to be the favorites in the AL West for the foreseeable future.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Feel like we could have included Whitley in some of those trades and kept more other players. But NOOOOOOO so many on the board here had him and Tucker as ABSOLUTELY UNTOUCHABLE.... I just feel like sometimes you gotta take the sure thing. Glad we kept Tucker though.

raining threes and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

LOL... as if people on this board had influence on whether Whitley was traded. Luhnow made it clear he was untouchable a number of times.

I was willing to include him in a number of trade scenarios. We were in a win now mode and thought it made sense to move him on several occasions. However, the guy is still only 23. Framber didn't figure it out until age 26. Keuchel didn't debut until 24. He still has time to turn it around.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What people on this board want doesn't matter as Redfish stated. Though, Astros should have traded that untouchable guy named Bregman? Some prospects, even untouchable, bust, though I'm glad the Astros didn't trade away guys like Bregman, Tucker, and Alvarez even if it means they kept Martes. It is an odds game and it usually isn't worth trading away a potential star for a year or two of a sure thing.

Not sure what happens to Whitley, but his Ks should work in the pen if he can't figure out the walks and homers.

15. raining threes

I disagree with you about Luhnow and think you cherry pick.

This doesn't mean that I dont enjoy your prospect evaluations because I dont have the time or knowledge of prospects that you do. I like seeing how these guys careers turn out vs your predictions. Thanks for giving me knowledge and insight into something I dont know alot about.

#195 raining threes, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    TWS1986, Nook, MrBear1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. raining threes

Man, Luhnow did such a great job.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He did a good job of drafting and developing talent, for sure. I would say apparently he did a great job of identifying which prospects he should trade away, since out of the dozens he shipped out only one really came back to bite the Astros (Laureano). Didn’t do such a great job of not making enemies that would eventually bury him, but that’s a dead horse on another thread.

TWS1986 and raining threes like this.
  18. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I'd probably say the Hader one hurt too, but I otherwise agree

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Teoscar Hernandez and JD Davis trades hurt a little. The JD Davis trade is still TBD though until we see what happens with the 3 prospects we received.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member