1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Horror movie of all time: The Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Exorcist. Poll

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Feb 27, 2021.

?

The Goat of horror

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. The Exorcist

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VanityHalfBlack

I gotta go with Leatherface on this one. **** still goes hard and it was made on a very small budget, it's not even gory but dammit does it screw with you psychologically. It's the one I rewatch the most during halloween.

TWS1986 and mikol13 like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

exorcist was real doe. people associated with that movie died

TWS1986, B-Bob and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hereditary is the scariest most disturbing movie ever made (probably too new though).

ElPigto, TWS1986, nickb492 and 2 others like this.
  4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Texas Chainsaw Massacre all the way. It was greatly admired by Stanley Kubrick and other film makers. It's also gone on to influence countless other films. Most notably the original Alien.

B-Bob and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

6. PhiSlammaJamma

I would go with the classics, Psycho and Jaws, but I would give a kudo to the Shining because 40 years later it seems like folks are just figuring out the seedy truth about the plot. It was unsettling the first view. And it gets even more unsettling once you understand what the director was after. So it worked on so many levels. Sixth Sense also gets a kudo.

B-Bob, Deckard and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  7. VanityHalfBlack

Lol I love you man :p

8. VanityHalfBlack

Godammit, how do I forget the shining and jack Nicholson crazy ass!! Kubrick is the master, ain't nobody beating him. I'll replace the exorcist with the shining, yes.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think that movie is actually scary but it is disturbing.

It's Exorcist for me hands down.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, and it's not even close

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does The Shining count as horror? It has no jump scares but there is an ongoing slow burn of dread and there are so many iconic and disquieting images from the film that stick with me.

I can't remember much about Texas Chainsaw Massacre, last time I saw it I was probably 12 on Showtime or something - just lots of blood and grime. Neither can I remember much of Exorcist outside of the iconic pea soup scene at the beginning.

#12 Ottomaton, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Final Exit, under-appreciated special effects coordination.

14. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I don't know that I've ever made it through a showing of the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I might feel differently if I were to watch it today, but I never found it at all scary. It seemed ridiculous, poorly made and more revolting than anything. The Exorcist, on the other hand, that really messed with my head. Frankenstein... The Mummy... Creature From the Black Lagoon... zombies... werewolves... ain't none of them could hold a candle to the Devil in my young imagination. That was some grown up **** and it stuck with me for years.

The image of Jason from Friday the 13th has haunted me too. I just know someday I'm going to turn around and he's going to be there towering over me. I can't pretend the movies are remotely deserving of a best ever list, best monster though...

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ye
    Yah movies have never really scared me. Nightmare on elm street maybe because I was way to young when I watched it probably like 6-7 years old. But I was raised catholic and I watched the exorcist when I was about 11 by myself and it took more courage than it should have to get up after it was over to turn the lights on.

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Exorcist for me but I loved both movies as an adolescent and haven’t seen either since that time.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Rob Zombie movies are the ****

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One of the best, circa 1968. Damn near freaked me out sitting in the theater with a girlfriend, who really freaked out.

This is no dream . . . this is really happening!

[​IMG]

19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

It's funny, I can't tell you what I watched on TV two nights ago, but I can remember the night I watched The Exorcist and how freaked out I was afterwards. Your story sounds a lot like mine, except I was going to Dad's evangelical church when he had custody... They didn't handle snakes, but their theatrics helped sell The Exorcist that much more.

Thankfully Nightmare had a few lighter moments and they didn't play up the "hell" angle as much as they could have. If they did it probably would have done me in.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Kind of agree on Exorcist -- it seemed corny when I was watching it, but it messed with my head. I had a couple of nightmares about it, as an adult, and there's still a friend who will leave me voicemail: "The Power of Christ Compels You! The Power of Christ Compels You!" LOLOL.

I'm not a big fan of the genre though, so my opinion is worth very little. I thought the Ring was creepy in an interesting way, and I've always thought Rosemary's Baby (thanks, @Deckard) had some good creepiness going on. Nothing like Manhattan white people running a devil cult to scare the **** out of you.

Agree that Hereditary will endure too.

FrontRunner likes this.