1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last 8 Years: Which Players REALLY STEPPED UP in the Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Last 8 Years: Which Players REALLY STEPPED UP in the Playoffs?
    Since people around here are of the mind that Harden Fizzled in the Playoffs.
    Let's remove him from the equation . . . .. . .

During his time here . . .
    Which Players REALLY STEPPED UP in the Playoffs.
    Not for one game .. . one moment. . . but just really step up through out the playoffs for the Rockets?
    Someone we can see a marketable difference between regular season and playoffs. . . .
    I am curious

Rocket River

Patience likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

The guy most people on this board hate right now. Every year for the past 3 years he has stepped up in the playoffs(go check his numbers) and has been underpaid. He's understandably upset about it but still acts like a pro regardless and gets told "its just business" despite not being able to handle it when another player does it to them.

#2 HP3, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    s3ts, Patience, fckbandwagons and 2 others like this.
  3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Consistently "stepping up" in the playoffs is incredibly rare if you mean playing all around better than in the regular season.

Historically, it's mostly a myth except for a tiny minority of players.

What really wins in the playoffs is having an all around good team with players that can score when the primary option is taken away and at least one player that can make "bad" shots.The rockets haven't had either.

Our role players were one dimensional and while Harden is very effective and finding "good" shots he's never had the athleticism or length to knock down those contested close range shots. Steph Curry is very similar in this regard but the Warriors did have a squad of well rounded role players.

Patience, Red.Glare and fckbandwagons like this.
  4. Rockets4Life13

This is true, PJ was great for us during every playoffs run. But right now he is worse than useless on this team and that doesn't take anything away from past seasons.

I could never hate PJ - in fact i love him - i just wish we wouldn't play him and ultimately move him to a contender. It's a win-win. I want him to succeed and i want him to play - just not on the Rockets because there's no fit.

Patience, sydmill and HP3 like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Pretty low baseline to step up from
    Heeeyyyooooo

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

There never seemed like there was that one player who could blast off on a real playoff team. I mean not only you have your stars put up the numbers, but you have those solid role players like Jamal Crawford, or Lou Willams scoring 40 points in a playoff game. That's really what you need, those genuine in the moment scorers off the bench who can really light it up and want to win a trophy.

Plus you need heck of alot of folks all qued in on preventing the other team to score Le$$ than you.

@HP3 If your talking about Gordon, yeah hes had some games where hes busted out.
    2018–19 season
    In Game 3 of the Rockets' second-round playoff series against the Golden State Warriors, Gordon scored a playoff career-high 30 points with a playoff-best seven 3-pointers in a 126–121 overtime win.

He was there when it counted. But i think hes coming down his hiatus, he not the same player anymore.

#6 Le$$, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Fine, but he deserves that money. We should trade but only because I know the bum owner of this team would never do it. He deserves that money.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

P

J

T

U

C

K

E

R

HP3 likes this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

No its really not. Pretty much every year he's been here, he's been like our third or sometimes second best playoff performer and Im not joking. His defense and Corner three point shooting were very very good for us in the playoffs.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

Im taling about Tucker, but Gordon too has shown up. But Gordon has also been paid adequately(I personally dont think his contract is bad and I think a contender could use him).

11. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

12. MadRox

MadRox Member

S'fer Arbez

13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Problem with Tucker is hes one dimensional , if your just playing him for his 3pt shot which is not there anymore. He is or was a top 10 defensive juggernaut in the league. When he was top 5, he still not worth the money. Him getting 7 as is probably what hes worth.

The truth is the guy a shitty rebounder and scorer, hes not going to get the money he wants. Plus he was considered euro trash once. lol Undersized big men are worthless in this league.

He should of played football for the money.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Much love for Tucker. If we had kept the core together from 2018 I would never question keeping him.

At this point, MOVE, GET OUT THE WAY

HP3 likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Fine thats what we all want but he deserves the money we never paid him and I stand on that.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

This is flat out untrue. The truth is you are severely undervaluing him. PJ Tucker has the respect of a lot of people int his league and he deserves more money than that.

17. Le$$

Le$$ Member

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

PJ for sure

we only had Covington for 1 season, but he stepped up last year

EG only stepped up in 1 playoff run, and that was the 2019 playoffs

other than that, aside from the occasional good game, his playoff runs in 16-17, 17-18, and 19-20 overall were not good

u could say he “stepped up” last year, but that’s only because it was hard to get any worse than he was that regular season...he still wasn’t good...he was the dumbest player on the court and was killing us last year against OKC until game 5 where Russ took the reigns

other than that, I can’t really think of anyone off thr top of my head who played better in the playoffs than they did in the regular season on this team over these past 8 years

HP3 likes this.
  19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Gerald Green

20. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Houston Rockets forward P.J. Tucker was not named to either the All-Defensive First Team or Second Team for the 2019-20 season, as per Tuesday's NBA announcement. The 35-year-old veteran has still yet to be named to an All-Defensive Team during his distinguished career

"
    "