1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"ohhh weeee"

Im cheesing so hard watching this!! His handles are straight butter in that video! He doesnt strike me as a guy who is near a breakdown. Just a young man trying to mature and be the best at what he does.

We are lucky to have him.

Richie_Rich, Bo6, DonKnock and 5 others like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

From enemy lines regarding Jarrett Allen....and the trade talk above ^

It's really a good thing Altman backed his way into the deal that landed Allen for basically free, it very well might save his job to be completely honest.

Kid is a stud. We are probably going to have to pay him max or near max money. I'm actually OK with it. He's 22!!!! He still has a huge window to keep getting better and improving.

He is hands down our best player RIGHT NOW. If we can luck our way into a skilled wing in this upcoming draft, we might actually turn this thing around quicker than I thought

Nook and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

The vid you provided actually substantiates my argument more than yours.

Per the vid, JBB did not know what else to do with Porter and his strong relationship with Silas and familiarity with Lucas success with other troubled players was the catalyst for the trade to Rockets NOT the Harden trade.

You and others are advancing a theory as fact, the onus is on YOU to support this wild claim with evidence.

Your linear thinking or "common sense" does not constitute evidence of any kind.

And finally, you just polluted your rep as fair and honest poster by throwing in the AG and Bamba BS.

Show me where I've said that AG is the best NBA player.

Show me that I've said Bamba is a PF.

You cannot because I've said, or even inferred, NONE of those things.

treyk3 likes this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Ok man. You need to breathe. You’re not fun to talk to anymore.

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am sure this has been posted but I missed it.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I know it was a separate deal but do you think the KPJ (who we got for nothing) trade still happens if we don't "give" them Allen? I don't as it seems like a "we threw you a bone, throw us one back" type deal. Regardless, and maybe I'm a homer but KPJ > Allen imo.

treyk3 and Astrodome like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t think it mattered. At the time, most everybody would have agreed that Dipo would get you the best return, either through play or as trade bait. The mistake was thinking Dipo was back, not in letting Allen go. He did not fit with Wood and virtually no one thought he was better than Dipo. Dipo was a shot that might replace at least some of Harden’s numbers. Sucks that he sucked.

8. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Obviously no way to know for sure, but it sure does seem like a quid pro quo agreement of some sort. If you look at both deals separately, they don't really make sense. Cleveland giving away a talented (but troubled) young player for nothing. Houston not taking Jarret Allen in the Harden trade. Both moves seem weird on their face. But if you look at them together, it looks a lot more balanced from both sides.

ipaman and treyk3 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Especially considering that the Rockets have their big man in Wood and Cavs have their playmaking guard in Sexton.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So has there been any kind of timetable discussed or mentioned about when we see this guy in Houston?

Likely to play for us this year or all a mystery?

D-rock likes this.
  11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yes

The bubble is his timetable. It’s over in time for the second half of the year. It’s not complicated.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn, people are snippy in this thread. Let's chill and be friends y'all. We suck but at least we have each other!

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets did not give JA to Cavs.

Rockets wanted FRP and not pay Prince salary.

Nets are the ones who found 3rd team, not the Rockets.

Rockets can get "recognition" of moving Levert for Dipo.

Corrosion likes this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Thanks for making this whole thing worse. :D

D-rock likes this.
  15. Rockets4Life13

This forum has been that way since harden requested a thread. It really hasn't been "chill" here since then... :(

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is just rationalization because we want to believe our FO is still ultra competent and elite.

If these 2 trades was example of quid pro quo, then there was zero reason not to make Porter part of initial trade. No logical or financial sense at all.

I and others clamored for Porter to be part of the Harden trade when we heard that Rockets just gave away JA for ridiculously low Bucks FRP. The PR backlash would not have been as extreme if this happened in one transaction.

Stone got lucky, plain and simple. No other team wanted to take on a head case at that time.

Stone has no prior relationship with Altmann, the relationship and familiarity is through JBB, Silas, Lucas and Rockets.

The Harden trade was coincidental at worst, serendipitous at best.

17. ipaman

And Cavs just gave away KPJ for nothing because they are dumb and we're lucky? Please. They are related period.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's pretty much a certainty unless something catastrophic happens that Porter Jr will join the Rockets and get genuine minutes as soon as the bubble is over after the All-Star break.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas wants Porter to immerse himself in PG position with Vipers so he can backup Wall after AS break.

Porter played SF for Cavs during his 1st season in NBA and still averaged double digit points.

20. ipaman

This could have never happened right... "Rox ask for KPJ during initial trade, told NO!" "KPJ has a food fight, Cavs say damn hol up..." "Rox say how about now?, Cavs say YES!, give us a bag of chips!"