1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poorly Coached Team!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 25, 2021.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You guys get too caught up in coaching. Morey even said the difference between a good coach and a bad coach is about 5 wins in the regular season. Here are the order or priority when building a team.

1. Super Star player
    2. Second Super star player
    3. Possible third Super Star player or all-star type player
    4. Good owner that the super star players would want to play for
    5. Nice Uniforms that the superstar players want to play in
    6. Good strip clubs that the super star players want to go to.
    7. Good coach.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Man, I don't care if you bring in Red Aurbach, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, or Pop. This team sucks. That's not on the coach. If you expect them to perform better than they currently are then the fault lies with you alone for having wildly unrealistic expectations.

#22 Williamson, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  3. DCSLaw99

DCSLaw99 Member

We won 6 straight games because of the system set by Silas. Its the same system now. But we lost our best player (CW) and the remaining players are not stepping up the way they used to. They cant even hit open shots. No gang rebounding. No defensive intensity. Bottomline, its the quality and consistency of players - not the coach

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

KINDA feel bad for Silas, but he may just end up being a babysitter like Bo Porter was for the Astros. Once the team is ready they will invest in a better coach.

X's and O's I cant see what they guy is trying to do. I hear "5 out" all the time, but he isnt running sets to maximize that. Small ball now? His rotations are crazy. I like his time outs. Team comes out from halftime and just gets routinely WAXED in the 3rd Q - what gives?

CWood is not THAT big of a driving force is he?

Rocket River and napalm06 like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yea... It appears Silas is a puppet. Similar to how Morey fired several coaches who wouldn't implement his analytics until he found the perfect puppet in MDT.

That said, Silas will get at least 1 preseason before he's fired. But if they start slow after that then he could be in trouble.

HTown_TMac likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This.

Nuff said

Rocket River

gotsis likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think he is tanking on purposeHolding guys out longer, playing weaker players longer...

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Imagine getting triggered because of another team's local broadcast announcers. Like, that is incredibly pitiful. You could just, I dunno, turn off the game and watch the box score instead if your feelings are getting hurt and you're on the verge of tears.

It's already been said in this thread - we're actively trying to tank, regardless of postgame comments of "we're trying to succeed!"

Wall wants to show he still has abilities. Oladipo is trying to secure the bag, knowing full well it won't be with this team. When your two primary ballhandlers have extrinsic motivations, coupled with the team actively trying to be as bad as they can be, it's not a recipe for success.

Silas is a first year head coach. Who gets fired as a brand-new coach, after their first season? It would be bad optics for Silas to be fired. No veteran coach would want to come here, and no young head coach would want to come here.

napalm06 and Rashmon like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

All so he can lose his job and go to the lottery designed to prevent tanking from paying off. We’ll tank and suffer all season to get the 4th worst record so we can get the 6th pick to give to OKC. Two years ago the 1&2 picks were the 7th and 8th seeded teams.

10. riko

riko Member

John wall is a career loser who makes no one better and Dipo is terrible. Silas can’t do much with manure. Not saying he is some world eater coach but he isn’t working with a lot

Rocket River and rockbox like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m just afraid he’s lost the locker room already. But I still recognize it’s hard to win with only Wall and Gordon as your main talent — and a bunch of rookies + Tucker.

the fact that we have been in double digit first quarter deficits for like almost every game of this slide troubles me the most.

but I see a lot of 23 second defensive possessions too that makes me proud and excited only to be deflated by the other team playing 24 seconds of offense and making contested 3s over and over. I definitely saw visible deflation from players after a couple of those possessions.

And dipo I just don’t get. How is he this bad? Is it physical or mental?

12. houtown

houtown Member

It's baffling how these coaches cling to small ball despite their personnel not fitting that kind of play. It seems like all the players are displeased with the coaching at this point.

#32 houtown, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Do people really think Silas is coaching to win right now? lol.

The Rockets are tanking on purpose.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

this team is untalented and silas isn't a particularly good coach. wasnt excited when we hired him and not excited now

15. alethios

alethios Member

oh to be a fly on the wall for that halftime locker room speech

groovemachine and ROXTXIA like this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

With Silas’ love of smallball the difference is 20-30 wins in a season. Have some fun and go to a playground and get 5 tall kids to take on 5 small kids in a game of basketball. My guess is the small kids would lose ten out of ten games just like our Rockets.

17. hakeemthagreat

Lol. Steve Kerr had a roster not nearly as bad as us,, and ended up with a atrocious record last season. Its funny how you want to hold a first year coach to higher standard than a veteran coach who's won 3 championships. Should GS had fired Kerr? I've never seen this type of vitriol towards a rookie coach dealing with record levels of injuries, covid protocol & drama.

Rashmon and burlesk like this.
  18. SRR21

SRR21 Member

I am giving Silas a pass for this year to many things out of his control.
    Harden Drama
    Lack of Big Men
    Lack of Health
    lack of Off Season Prep
    Lack of Practice Time
    Lack of Back up Point Guard
    Too many players with Restrictions
    Covid-19 Effects
    First Time Head Coach

Rashmon and burlesk like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Gregg Popovich or Red Auerbach couldn't get more out of this roster .... it's just twisted like Wood's ankle.

20. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I think the circumstances via injury make it quite difficult for Silas - However he is making serious coaching mistakes.

1. He isn't recognizing obvious opportunities such as teams failing to guard tucker on every single play in the corner. He runs to the corner and nobody guards him - a coach should repeatedly call plays for the corner 3 until the offense is playing 5v5.
    2. Silas is constantly calling plays that drive the basket against a zone. This is a coaching 101 failure and has a very low percentage success rate.
    3. Silas stays a long time with lineups who are getting destroyed and fails to recognize the cause.
    4. Conversely he doesn't stick with lineups during the game that are working. Countless times we have gone on extremely strong runs and he substitutes lineups that were getting crushed all game.
    5. He does not repeat plays that are working. Rudy T used to say "RUN IT AGAIN!" - Silas seems to very rarely repeat plays that are working OR recognize plays that are working repeatedly against us. For instance Allen drove the basket via the middle on 5 consecutive plays and Silas failed to make adjustments. All of us 100% knew they would run the same play against us but Silas made no obvious defensive changes. He could have put in Patton or double teamed Allen.
    6. We get outscored almost every 3rd quarter indicating a poor quality plan devised at halftime.