1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’m glad he down In G-league. As bad as I want him up here I don’t want him stuck behind all these old guards we have. Mason Jones can’t even get playing time.

Mr Woods, D-rock and dragonwill like this.
  2. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

What are we wating for in bringing him up. I believe we lost the window in showcasing dipo, pj, house and eg. All have stunk it up for the most part.

Id rather have KPJ now than have to see eg be questionable on random games. These people keep sitting out like pssies! And wall, he gets numbers but he's not fun to watch. Harden really has spoiled us, that whenever players go iso or play selfish basketball, they are lightyears behind the beard. But now with kpj, we have a young lefty that still has a chance to be great.

ramotadab likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I FULLY expected the TOs when he began molding to be the PG. He's running the show full time with the ball in his hands - a change for him and besides the TOs (which at times are just dumb brain farts) he's BALLING! He is a plus defender and his offensive skill set would be at or better than what Wall is giving the Rockets currently.

Im kinda giddy! Oh but yeah gotta remember he's a ticking time bomb :rolleyes:

Denovo and D-rock like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Damn , we're old.

Richie_Rich, CVcrew, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

damn did we really just get the next Harden?

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Calm the hell down. He's closer to Terrance Williams than James Harden.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Said nobody ever on clutchfans.:rolleyes:

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

In that sense Harden was closer to Terrance Williams at 20 than prime Harden. KPJ at 19 averaged more points with better efficiency than Harden on his rookie season at 20.

Look, predicting any 20 year old to be a top 25 all time great unless they are Lebron is extremely premature especially with a kid that has some immense hurdles to climb in terms of mental health.

But the dude is far more talented than Terrence Williams ever was. At 20, his foot work, change of pace and ball handling are far ahead of someone like Terrence Williams. KPJ has that change of pace ability that made Harden special. KPJ is fast but he doesn't always play fast. He knows how to control pace of his speed to fool defenders. A 20 year old being able to do that is very impressive.

#928 fchowd0311, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Richie_Rich, Bo6, Denovo and 7 others like this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

10. csc177

csc177 Member

Yeah stuff like this is what i'm afraid will lead to KPJ not panning out. While he's already under pressure to prove it in the league....this added pressure to be the next JH, (already an all time great) is crazy.

The only other 19-20 something year old I've seen live up to crazy hype to be someone great was that dude in LA, that had stops in CLE and MIA

Corrosion and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  11. raining threes

Hopefully he can have an Alex English type career. HOF guy, silky smooth

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya the shot form and midrange-only of alex english was different, but brooks' smoothness and release are similar imo

Corrosion and raining threes like this.
  13. MadRox

MadRox Member

KPJ can finish better with his right hand than Harden, that's about it.....But he's still young, tons of room to improve.

raining threes, D-rock and csc177 like this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

These comparisons are from NBA nephews, don't nobody pay attention to them. KPJ is the next KPJ (whatever that will be) and he happens to have a similar style to Harden. That's it. I think Lucas and other vets will remind him of that.

csc177, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Vipers FO need to sign some 5 Out centers like Bruno Caboclo, Jonah Bolden or Dragan Bender.

Longer players that can rim protect, rebound, switch AND be threat from 3.

Wooten and KJ are just too limited to play this role full time.

And Rockets losing BT to Cavs was stupid lack of foresight.

#935 D-rock, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

There alot of hype for this guy, but you wonder why if he is so great, why did cavs flip him easy for a 2nd rd pick. Hes not even a top 20 draft talent, his ceiling could be like DeShawn Stevenson . So what he does some random bs harden moves, that dont mean jack ****.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He was projected to be a top lottery pick but his issues off the court in highschool and at USC had him drop to 30. His ability isn't the issue. His ability is in the top tier amongst young talent in this league.

DonKnock, Bo6, coachbadlee and 3 others like this.
  18. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yea i remember about how they say he could be a bust, but like i said this was like a article back in the day...
    https://www.canishoopus.com/2019/6/...polarizing-prospect-kevin-porter-jr-nba-draft

Maybe it was this when T-Wolves wanted to draft him to play along side Towns, but many people said no he just flashy bust, that would be picked up early or late in 2nd rd, and he had attitude problems etc..

If he does pan out, and Rockets probably would used a 2nd rd pick to get him anyways.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. ballgame

ballgame Member

PEOPLE!! YOU ALL ARE NOT SEEING THE BIGGER PICTURE.

C-Wood is 25, he only signed a 3yr contract!! He came here to WIN not rebuild. He will only have one more yr left after next yr.....The Rockets need to put together a team next year. If I'm them, damn a draft pick, unless it's Cade Cunningham, they need a young veteran PF to put next to C-Wood; MPJ, Collins, etc. Trade Gordon and Oladipo this year and go after DeRozan and have KPJ coming off the bench next yr

Wall
    DeRozan off season acquisition
    C-Wood
    Collins via trade
    Tate

Bench

KPJ
    KMJ
    Brown
    Nwaba
    Patton
    House