1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jarrett Allen, the Rocket who isn't

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This one is going to hurt for a while

I am sorry but WOOD can play the PF

Rocket River

vator likes this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think he's too slow to do it. He's a 5, despite what the scale says. He's not shifty or quick at all I just think he would get eaten alive on defense if they don't stick him down under the basket. I know they did that a little with he and Drummond in Detroit, I guess it matters who you put at the 5 with him?

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Correction: Only 7 other players in NBA history have accomplished this feat.

s3ts likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Allen at the 5

Wall - Dipo - House (I GUESS) - Wood - Allen

Would be a d*mn good

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tate at 3.

House has to go.

s3ts and Sooty like this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

AGREED!!!!!

Wall - Dipo - TAKE - Wood - Allen
    With EGO and TUCKER coming off the bench

Rocket River

Garner, D-rock and Dankstronaut like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Teams are just going to ISO Wood though. Why would they go after 4 other plus-level defenders? They wouldn't, they would mercilessly put Wood through the chipper, to guard playmakers on the perimeter when he's already slow footed. Then what on offense? Wood handles the PnR with Allen? Or you just relegate him to being a stretch 4? Underutilizing his talents on one side and completely hanging him out to dry on the other.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood's defensive efficiency rose considerably before he reinjured his ankle.

Wood is now one of Rockets more efficient defenders.

Wood-Nwaba-Tate combo is top 3 most defensively efficient trio now.

Only other trio's that come close are:

EGo-Nwaba-Tate
    Sterling-Nwaba-Tate

Nook and PWR like this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

All I saw when Stone got an injury prone Wall followed by a injury prone Dipo was that we're trying to tank this season and shed salary for Tilman.

Personally, I wouldn't be against re-signing Allen to a Capela type deal given he's one of the league's best defensive centers and shot blockers. Also he's 22yo...

Meanwhile Dipo is supposed to be in his prime at 28 and has become one of the most injury prone players in the league. I'm 100% against Stone re-signing Dipo, I hope he hates it here and leaves this off-season because it's better than signing him to a long contract.

Also let's face it, no one wants to trade for Dipo now, he's been terrible for us and looks washed.

10. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Playing the 5...

D-rock likes this.
  11. riko

riko Member

This guy potentially will be a multiple all star but Tillman didn’t want to pay him. People still wondering why harden wanted out?

Nook, joshuaao, TheRealist137 and 3 others like this.
  12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I can't believe we got the Rodion instead of J Allen. We got a star, but we lost one. We could of packaged EGo and PJ to make it work, or any combo. Dipo should of been J.Allen.

13. HardenVolumeOne

dipo is expiring tho, so he’s more valuable to tilman unfortunately

bloodwings19 and Der Rabbi like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Wow, I wasn't aware I was capable of stirring someone to say I just wrote the worst paragraph they've ever seen! lol. Do you not remember us having both Dwight and Capela or Dwight and Omer Asik? There's only one center position in an NBA line-up, and over 30 minutes a game of that are Christian Wood's, and he is better than Allen.

Read this please:
    "Sources said Cousins was not happy with his role as a backup center behind Christian Wood, wanting more playing time. Rockets coach Stephen Silas did not consider playing Wood and Cousins together, as he wants to use Wood solely as a center."

Allen is playing really well, but him playing the backup C for 15 minutes a game is a bad fit! We have an All-Star caliber starting 5, so moving Allen for other assets makes sense. So unless you're saying you'd rather have Allen (who is about to get a major pay day, and could be poison pill-contracted into leaving after the season) over C-Wood who is locked in for 3 years at a bargain, then the move makes sense. Stone saw it, and he's probably better at this than you, so I'll go on a limb and say your response was one of the worst I've ever received... :rolleyes:

16. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Please remind me.....What asset did we get out of Jarrett Allen?

17. dmoneybangbang

We were never going to pay Jarret Allen, as Tilman telegraphed he isn’t in “contract giving mode” with the Harden trade.

Sure in hindsight, we should have kept Allen and flipped him. But a lot of of y’all would have gotten your hearts broken....

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

We offloaded Taurean Prince's deal and got a late MIL 1st

D-rock likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Watching the Hawks for Collins. Jarrett Allen is very good, he even hit a three. I hate the Harden trade more and more every day.

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

You and me both.

Question: Why is JC playing so few minutes? Is he injured?

#260 D-rock, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021