1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol that has nothing to do with each other. Cavs got Allen cuz Tillman is cheap and didn't want to pay Princes salary. So he dumped it and to get off it he sent Allen.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

feel like our GLeague team has 4 players that could be getting minutes on the Rockets.

3. Rockets4Life13

I didn’t know you knew Tillman and Stone personally and got insight into the way they handle business.

groovemachine and Zen Tabak like this.
  4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Are you making a joke here? Can't even tell anymore. People that play in the NBL are usually washed out of gleagues and can't make it anywhere in minor leagues in Europe. I actually went to see one of their games in Halifax.

I think Kevin Porter must have hurt your feelings personally somehow, you seem adamant on ******** on him and anyone say anything positive about his play for no apparent reason.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't need to know them
    Personally to see this. It's what he has done since he took ownership of the team. Whatever he can do to save money.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Allen is only paid 4 million this year. It’s fun to dunk on Tilman but the team views Wood as the starting 5 long term. Allen will get $15M + next year, no point in using cap on a backup 5. It’s that simple.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Allen/Prince the KPJ trades were nine days apart. It was the arrival of Prince and giving him KPJ's locker that sparked the locker room incident in Cleveland. It was after that incident that Cleveland made it public that he was no welcome with the team and that they would look to trade him anywhere.

There is more evidence to believe they are separate transactions rather than connected. The only reason to believe they are connected is because we got fleeced in the original trade.

RHU525 likes this.
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't say one bad thing about KPJr. Telling fans to be realistic and not comparing him to Harden is a good thing. He will never live up to those expectations. I never said he couldn't be a good player but just don't act like he's gonna be the savior of our Rockets. Whoever makes us relevant again is currently not on our roster.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Read what I wrote again. Tillman was trying to dump Taureen Princes 13 million dollar salary and used Allen as a sweetener so the Cavs would take it....

If we coulda sent Prince somewhere else I bet Allen stays a Rocket. Everyone agrees Allen is worth more than a late first round pick but maybe Prince had negative value to Rockets.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Oh of course that’s why Allen was attached, I didn’t read that high in the thread. The Nets trade was always trash once Dinwiddie got hurt. The team gifted Harden to his team of choice for 4 FRP in the teens or worse. Should have gotten a young star in the deal. The team will never get a player as good as Simmons with those picks. Book it.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Dude at 19 he scored more points on better efficiency than Harden at 20.

Reaching top 25 all time in the NBA which is roughly were Harden is at requires many positive breaks is highly unlikely. But to compare him to Royce White who has played hardly any minutes in the NBa is a joke. Dude was balling at 19 in the actual NBA.

12. Rockets4Life13

Yeah I’m fine with looking at it this way, I’m not saying that what i said is 100% correct.

But if the cavs had 3 offers on the table with similar return it would be reasonable to think that they prefer the Rockets as the destination.

What I’m not fine with is stating opinions as fact, like the poster i quoted, did.

MrButtocks likes this.
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Did Royce not play in the nba cuz he wasn't good enough or becuase of his issues off the court. We will never know this because he couldn't play. But he was phenomenal in the other leagues when given the opportunity. I only said Royce White cuz someone brought up off court issues.

If Kevin Porter Jr is that good why is he in the g-league still? Oladipo out we could use another playmaker. Why haven't they called him up to see what he has? Why am I still watching Mason Jones?

I'd start him and bench wall. In fact I wouldn't play wall another minute the rest of the season. Maybe he acts up or maybe he'd be dumb enough to ask for a buyout. Either way Rockets win.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Because one of the issues with Porter Jr is believing he's being treated "like a slave" which implies he has severe ego issues. That means a stint at a lower league will humblr him and provide him with structure. It has nothing to do with playing ability.

Royce White has three games in the NBA where he has scored 0 pts and is 0% from the field.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's in the G-League because the team has a plan in place. If they pull him up before the end of the bubble (March 5, 2021) then they feel their plan can be expedited. Feigen hinted today that KJ could be called up by the end of the week and KPJ could come with him. I hope they keep KPJ down there the whole time, it's just another two weeks.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was both. He wasn't good enough AND he had about a million priorities he put ahead of playing basketball. When he played in the D league, he was mediocre to poor, the ONLY time he looked even pretty decent was when he played in the Canadian league.....which is like looking great at your local YMCA.

There's really no comparing the two players. Porter Jr is both SIGNIFICANTLY more talented, he's also SIGNIFICNATLY more stable and his commitment to the game is also several orders of magnitude greater than Royce White.

Royce White is a complete embarrassment all the way around, so the comparison would be an absolute insult to KPJ

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Hopefully you're right. If so, this kid is a complete steal.

18. Rockets4Life13

When i watch the Vipers i don't really care all that much if they win or lose, what i really care about is what the young guys show me.

Every time i see some of the young guys do something well, i get excited and i am happy with that. This is somewhat what i envision the next few seasons of the Rockets to be like.

I'm fine watching them lose most of the games as long as there's progress. Which makes the current Rockets games absolutely unbearable as there are basically only old vets playing and they're also playing like ****.

Youth needs to be the way to go at the deadline. I hope KPJ, KMJ and Armoni Brooks can be a part of that and get significant minutes on the Rockets.

So what if we lose, we're losing as is right now. Atleast then we have a direction.

I cant even tell you how excited i am for Porter->Wood lobs. Harden -> Capela oops feeling.

18pbr likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This discussion started when I asked "what his demons were" because I had read that constantly about him.
    @Nook responded with a lengthy list of issues / actions and that he is bi polar.
    He had made that statement earlier on page 6 post #106 of the thread which I found while searching for information about Porter being diagnosed as bi polar or not stating in another post that he had heard this on a podcast prior to KPJ joining the Rockets.
    I don't find anywhere that he is diagnosed with bi polar or anything else. The only thing I find is "personal issues" and that could mean literally anything.

I have a bit of experience on the subject as this was where my college studies were .... I did not realize that he had not been diagnosed. I assumed that he had because of the earlier statements in the thread .... But the diagnosis does fit with his past behavior almost to the letter.
    Additionally , reading some statements he's made to other players , those were things he almost certainly would have heard in a therapeutic setting ...

Finding the original podcast where @Nook heard this might give some answers ....

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Give it a couple of weeks, they are trying to showcase the vets and give the young guys experience in the G league. The youth movement starts after the all star break.