1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , he's been great since coming to the Rockets .... but the history is consistent with the diagnosed disorder.

You really have to understand that bi polar / manic depressants just don't comprehend reality.

Its obvious he has the physical gifts and skills to play in this league .... Its hard enough to stick in the league without mental issues and a bi polar I is about as difficult a disorder to manage as there is.

Here's some information that might help people understand what's going on in the mind of a manic depressant ...

What Is a Manic Episode? What Do Manic Episodes Feel Like? | HealthyPlace

raining threes likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think it needs to be said that .... no matter what treatment or support he's given , the problem isn't going to go away.

Bi Polar Disorder is something that has to be managed .... for the duration. Its a life long struggle.

Things can appear great one moment and go horribly bad for no apparent reason.

60% of all suicides are people with a manic depressant disorder.

The real questions here are how severe is his disorder and what medications , if any they are managing it with.
    With medication and a highly structured daily lifestyle , most cases can be managed to "some sense of normalcy".

The worst thing that can happen to him is to go do what 20 year olds do ...

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Has this been confirmed?

Has an actual doctor diagnosed Porter as bipolar?

If not, then pushing this narrative is both unfair and plain wrong.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He's also wrong factually. Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder, the diagnosis of which can change depending on life circumstances and behavioral modifications. It is not a personality disorder, such as borderline personality disorder, which is usually lifelong. The whole mental health narrative regarding Porter is completely speculative.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

#848 D-rock, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I’m more excited for Vipers games than Rockets games now smh

Richie_Rich, Deuce, Bo6 and 5 others like this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Sure they look the same but the results are vastly different. One played against best players in the world and took a us to the postseason every year. The other is losing games in the g-league. How are his efficiency numbers compared to James? How is his playmaking?

When are we going to stop thinking we can rescue players no one wants anymore? Even if they had potential in the past? Cleveland wouldn't give up the next James Harden for a second round pick. Let's start being realistic.

We have seen this song and dance before with the likes of Thomas Robinson, Hasheem Thabeet, Terrence Williams, Ty Lawson, Anthony Bennet. List goes on and on

#851 RHU525, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Hippieloser likes this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's not even close.

The Rockets need to make a youth movement quickly. Watching washed up vets lose games in a season where it's a 50/50 proposition we keep the pick is basketball purgatory in the worst way.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Horribly pessimistic attitude. I thought that video was amazing. Porter is obviously pattering his game after James. He’s not James, but doesn’t mean he might turn out to be really good with some of the same moves as James.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's because Cleveland didn't give him up due to on court issues, they didn't want the headache off court anymore. All the people you named except for Lawson who was just washed were not good at basketball.

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I really enjoyed the video too. Cool to see how Harden has influenced the game and the youth. However I just wanted y'all took look at a more realistic approach. There is only one James Harden. Plenty of people can do his moves but can they score at the same efficiency he does? Can they make the same passes he does? Are they strong enough to play this style and not get injured?

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Royce White... These were all lottery picks we tried to rejuvenate. Same thing happening here.

If he was soo good the Rockets wouldn't have been the only team to trade for him. Why didn't any of the other teams send a second round pick?

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I appreciate the material, but Im not going to allow a chat room to tell me how to perceive another person. This exact behavior is what makes me uncomfortable when you have fans with anecdotal 'evidence' to support some claim. You are entitled to you opinion because thats all it is right now.

In reality nobody knows what ails him - could be depression? Until a qualified physician states he is bipolar I wont agree with that assessment. No offense to you.

There was a lengthy article posted about him yesterday and FOR ME reading that he's taken ownership of the Vipers, is advising the players there and hasnt complained about being an "NBA" player. No technicals. Nothing. Dude is punching in and going to work.

Makes me cringe to hear guys say "it will never go away" dealing in absolutes is a slippery slope - even moreso when it is speculative.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not even a good comparison. Royce wasn't actually great at basketball either. He came to the team fat and outta shape and pouted about being sent down to the d league. The mental health stuff didn't help either.

Porter played an entire season and is clearly an NBA calibre player at 19.

Also nobody is saying he will be close to Harden. His style is just somewhat similar and therefore the comparisons. I don't know why you seem to be so bothered by that. It cost nothing to hope he turns out to be a good player for us.

Again it's not really his on court stuff, he has proven he's on of the most talented prospects in that department. It's more if we can provide him with the counselling he needs to get his head straight. And by all accounts it's going fine with the Vipers.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Royce White is Canadian league MVP. That's better than anything KPJr has ever accomplished...

20. Rockets4Life13

Most people believe that we got him because the cavs got Jarrett Allen for basically nothing.