1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It's actually: 1. Black people 2. Hispanics 3. Trumpers and 4. Granola liberals.

Kim likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn.. I'm very sorry to hear that..

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

"Having a phone" is not the same as being able to navigate vaccine access and registration. You seem to be very ignorant about the realities communities and groups different from you face. I'll leave it at that.

Jimmy Chase, Newlin and robbie380 like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

@robbie380 Sorry, this was rude on my part so I apologize. But I will say - I think people underestimate how different communities can be, and we make a huge mistake when we simplify it to things like "they have phones they can do it". It's the same stuff that leads people to decide Voter ID laws shouldn't be a big deal and shouldn't affect minority/rural/older communities disproportionately. The entire vaccination program is being administered largely by middle and upper class city and state officials who have very little first-hand experience with the realworld scenarios of people unlike them. As a result, they've designed the entire process to basically be for average US citizens with access to the things we all take for granted and have no real understanding of the groups being left out. It's a process that repeats across government on a pretty regular basis.

robbie380 and superfob like this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol I don't know what to say and I'm not going to spend hours having a back and forth because it takes me forever to write responses because I do spend a lot of time thinking about what I'm going to say when I'm replying back to someone. That's part of why I left D&D. It's a waste of time having these discussions online if the person on the other side automatically dismisses the point of view of the person they are talking to.

From my perspective, it's absurdly elitist point of view to think that lowly of the intelligence and ability of those groups. It also completely ignores the other cultural/political issues that are limiting vaccinations in those very different communities.

Secondly, I've already evaluated the points that you brought up in your next post. I've done this prior to you mentioning them. I do think about things from different perspectives constantly. I'd appreciate it if you considered mine and thoughtfully looked at the perspective I have and think about why I am saying what I am saying. Maybe also consider why I have the point of view that I do and don't dismiss it as me being callous or ignorant.

Last, the apology is fine and I'm not offended by what you said. The post where you called me ignorant just came off as condescending to me and to those groups of people mentioned. It does illustrate what your gut reaction is to others who have a different point of view and the post speaks for itself.

Maybe consider that my point of view isn't me simply living in an unenlightened bubble next time. ;)

Pistol Pete likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure if already posted here, but the Israel study shows that Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine stop covid spread. This was thought to be but because it wasn't tested during trials, it was still an open question.

Pfizer-BioNTech Shot Stops Covid Spread, Israeli Study Shows - Bloomberg

The vaccine, which is being rolled out in a national immunization program that began Dec. 20, was 89.4% effective at preventing laboratory-confirmed infections, according to a copy of a draft publication that was posted on Twitter and confirmed by a person familiar with the work. The companies worked with Israel’s Health Ministry on the preliminary observational analysis, which wasn’t peer-reviewed. Some scientists disputed its accuracy.

malakas and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Good to have data to support this. People were spouting off that the vaccine wasn't proven to limit spread. Well, that's because that wasn't studied in particular. But from what we know about immunology and vaccines, it's logical to assume that the vaccine does reduce the spread. A cited study helps put those fears to rest.

malakas and Amiga like this.
  8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. I spent 8 days in the hospital with Covid Pneumonia last month. I counted 20 times that I heard code blue called on my floor. I talked with the Docs there. This isn't just people with other conditions dying. Seemingly perfectly healthy people pre Covid infection have passed away.

9. Supermac34

A lot of the people I know that have passed away have been acquaintances or "friends of friends", but the last one was a long time business partner of my Dad that I've known a long time.

10. Major

Major Member

It's not really about my gut reaction to different viewpoints - I love engaging different viewpoints. It's my gut reaction to different viewpoints that I know are simply false and that are simply politically motivated (not you, but the post you quoted). If you really have experience with these groups, you know the realities they face - Biden's comments had nothing to do with intelligence or anything of the sort, and you'd know that - only the Commodores of the world who are trying to score political points go that route. We have data supporting the lack of access / difficulty signing up for various groups in society, and we know it from the on-the-ground realities of people who deal with these things as their daily jobs. We see it in the Vaccine Chase thread on this forum with people here helping their older relatives - what do you think it's like for older people who don't have those support systems? Or who's whole social networks have English as a 2nd language? Or how easy it is for construction workers (largely minority) in states where you have to keep refreshing a website all day to find an appointment? The subgroups struggling the most with vaccine signup are exactly the ones Biden talked about.

It's interesting that, in general, the people who are criticizing Biden for his comments are middle/upper class white people. You know who's not claiming that what he said is condescending? The groups he mentioned and the advocates who try to get them services.

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

500,000 Americans dead.
    5.9% of the population have completed the two-dose vaccination regimen.

In the U.S., the latest vaccination rate is 1,365,820 doses per day, on average. At this rate, it will take an estimated 10 months to cover 75% of the population with a two-dose vaccine.

12. Supermac34

Its going to get faster with the J&J vaccine. Dr. Gottlieb was on CNBC last week and he said some interesting stuff. He was saying the demand for the vaccine is very deep, but not that wide. What he was saying is that there are 100,000,000 people in the US that really, really want the vaccine. After that, there are probably another 80,000,000-100,000,000 that'll take the vaccine eventually, but they aren't particularly worried about getting it as fast as possible. The rest are kids that are not eligible yet and people that probably won't get it at all.

He was thinking that once you get 100,000,000 people vaccinated, it'll be super simple to get a vaccine because you won't be fighting against that deep demand. You'll be competing with the group of people that might swing by and get it while they are in Wal Mart anyways if there isn't a line.

malakas likes this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They should just switch to one dose. After 2 weeks even a single dose is pretty effective.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Damn that speech made me cry

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You don't need to cover every age demographic and the 1st shot is by far more significant than the 2nd.

Remember the vaccine is only for over 18 which eliminates roughly 80 million of the 330 million Americans. 99% of all deaths have been over the age of 40 and that 40+ population is approximately 157 million people.

Breaking it down further, roughly 62% of deaths have been over age 75 and we have given at least 1 shot to about 56% of the over 75 population.

About 21% of deaths have been from 65-74 and we have given 1 shot to about 37% of that group.

Another 15% of deaths are in the 45-64 age range and the data doesn't line up perfectly with those age groupings, but it's somewhere around a 12% 1 shot vaccination rate.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/241488/population-of-the-us-by-sex-and-age/

I haven't been tracking the rate of change in these groups. I wish I did.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We all wish you did.

+

robbie380 likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

Amiga likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Newlin and FrontRunner like this.
  20. CCorn