1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SHAM BOMB] Rockets and Cousins Parting Ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Feb 20, 2021.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I love the Rockets, I watch their games til I die. But my interest in the NBA isn't what is use to. But I haven't watch any other games of any other teams or games outside the Rockets since. Definitely not the playoffs.

HP3 and ipaman like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean really though, in this argument we're considering Ryan Anderson an asset...and you started off saying we could have traded for Kawhi for these guys?

I'm not seeing it. What I do see is that the Rockets really wanted to add Butler to CP3/James which invalidates that entire narrative about Tilman not wanting to pay to win.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The list of teams to win an NBA title without paying the luxury tax is a very short one.

D-rock, HP3, Sooty and 1 other person like this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I believe if we Kept Anderson or Ariza and all those picks. We coulda offered all that stuff we just gave away for a 1 year Kawhi Rental.

Cp, Harden, Gordon, Kawhi, PJ, Capela is a championship team. I think we win easily.

Is Anderson expiring plus 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders better than Poetl and Derozan?

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's pretty accurate.

Watch this... Did Tilman break up a championship team?

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The nba is built on a salary cap. We couldn't match Kawhi contract without sending out Harden or CP, Gordon. meaning we couldn't do it. Anderson is just a cap filler. He has no value other than as an expiring contract that saves the other team money.. it's the 3 first and 3 second rounders we gave up that get us Kawhi. All they got was Poetl and Derozan......

Better yet Drummond got traded for a second rounder last year. Anderson plus a first easily gets us Drummond to replace Clint. Changes our whole season.

This deal also prevents us from ever making the Westbrook trade cuz we don't have the picks to trade.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

How many MVP type caliber are in the league? 3-4?

YOLO likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

"you and others pretend harden won a championship"

watch this....someone @ me that said he won a ship. pretty please

9. mightybosstone

If they could get rid of Wall without having to attach picks, you don't think they would? If they could actually get picks for him, I think Stone would do it in a heatbeat.

Also, is "tanking" all that different from "sucking?" It feels like you're just arguing semantics. Tanking is just maximizing youth and future draft picks long-term by sucking in the short-term.

BamBam likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And who was out there for us to acquire, pay the tax, and win a championship?

11. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Championship and championship caliber are two different terms.

We were contenders for a good chunk of Harden’s time here, especially during his MVP-type years.

Ps. I agree with you.

JayGoogle and YOLO like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You'd have to ask the Spurs that...and if they would be willing to trade Kawhi to an in-state rival.

It just wasn't happening. The Kawhi idea you're floating isn't realistic.

13. Nook

Nook Member

First I supported the Rockets signing Anthony and giving him a shot. The problem was that Anthony was no longer a league average player, in fact he was below replacement level at the time and has proven to be one with the Blazers. He hasn’t been good, in fact he has been BAD. Playing poor defense and having a high usage while being inefficient is very bad.

So you can live in your 1980’s understanding of basketball and think Anthony is a good player if you want but just like idiots that believe the world is 5,000 years old; it doesn’t make it so.

Carmelo Anthony has sucked for years. There is a reason the Lakers had zero interest and no one in the league did other than the desperate Blazers. Even this free agent period no one but the Blazers were interested.

He is shooting under 40% on 2’s... he is taking a usage of 13 shots a game to score 13 points..he has almost as many turnovers as assists... he doesn’t rebound... he fouls more than he goes to the line.

His VORP, +|- and all his advanced measures are negative, his ORT is 105 and his DRT is a poor 115.

There are players in the G League right now better than him.

JoeBarelyCares, Zboy, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We couldn't do it then. But we could beat the offer and the Spurs woulda considered it. That's not even the only option. Soo many other deals we coulda tried to make to get better.
    We coulda beat the Sixers deal for Jimmy a Butler also. We woulda had options to improve the team. Is Anderson expiring plus 3 first and 3 seconds better than Covington and Saric?
    Does Jimmy resign in Houston or does he still go to Miami if we make that deal?

Heck even Ariza for Oubre woulda been good for our team. That trade actually happenned.

HP3 likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

More than that. I'd say about 8.

Right now...Giannis, Harden, Durant, Curry, Lebron, A.Davis, Embiid, Jokic, Luka... I mean these are guys that could win any given year depending on circumstances and how the voters are 'feeling' this year.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We tried. IIRC Minny and Thibs were being stubborn and decided not to. If you remember the Rockets were offering all the draft picks for him. It was clear and should be clear that Jimmy/CP3/Harden would have got them over the hump but they never could get him.

17. Nook

Nook Member

No he has been absolutely horrible overall in his tenure.

His coach and GM wanted out so bad the one immediately said he had zero interest coming back and the other left a high salary just to get away from the owner.

The owner screwed up trades for players like Temple and Green and ham fisted through horrendous trades like Russell Westbrook. The owner ran his mouth to everyone about how over paid Chris Paul was and he wanted him gone.

The owner would not take on additional salary in the Westbrook to improve the team and he did everything possible to avoid the luxury tax while have a championship caliber team.

That doesn’t even get into the fact that his work place culture is terrible.

If you think Tilman has or will learn from his mistakes, that is one thing. However if you believe he hasn’t been so bad so far, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Deuce, DonKnock, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No I don't recall. What contracts were we sending out? They probably had negative value. We need a cap filler. We didn't have it cuz the team was gutted.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If it's the Rockets I'm kind of proud of them recognizing what a bad fit it was.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing is I'm just not confident that keeping CP3-Ariza- and whatever other bench player would have been enough to beat the Warriors or the Lebron-AD Lakers.

People also forget that losing to the Durant-less Rockets was a shot to the heart. Especially after saying the entire year "We only lost because we didn't have CP3!" The team couldn't move forward with a Harden/CP3 core and realistically believe they had a shot at winning a championship.