1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Looks like we are pretty close to 50% to over 75 getting at least 1 shot

We have roughly 30% of 65-74 with at least 1 shot

Based that on 2019 estimated age demographics and adding that 8% of unknown age data into these known numbers.

Pringles likes this.
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The new covid cases are 8k today, the lowest they been since October 2020

Deckard, dobro1229 and B-Bob like this.
  4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Same.

Have always worn a surgical mask+ n95 mask. Common sense that it would offer better protection.

Gloves when I know I will be handling stuff and also a small bottle of Purell 70% alcohol hand sanitizer in my pocket.

Best precaution?

Stay home unless you really have to go out.

Deckard likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Doctor friend I talk to says they've known behind the scenes that this African variant is vaccine-resistant -- BUT -- the belief is it's not nearly as contagious and not something to worry too much about (compared to other Covid-related stuff we need to worry about). Also said a patient who got Covid early last year, age 23, died last week - ongoing lung issues.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The strain resistance has been suggested for a while. They've been warning about it for a month or so at least, I think. There hasn't been much actual labwork presented yet or any info given as to what extent it's more resistent. There was always the subject of booster shots upcoming to take care of variants. The problem is all the people thinking they're 100% "immune" running around out there.

7. Supermac34

J&J said that their vaccine was ~50% effective against the S. African variant, but 100% kept people out of the hospital.

Also for Pfizer and Moderna...there is a BIG cushion in the antibody production drop and actual protection. So while you may not be nearly as protected from getting infect or getting sick, it'll almost certainly keep you from getting REALLY sick and out of the hospital...which is still pretty darn good.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup. And that's what they were hoping for a month ago. I'm still waiting to see what else they have to say as they get more confirmed/reviewed data. I'm just hoping whatever changes they need to make can be done fairly quickly. They always said they expected it would be, anyway.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It finally happened but I know someone personally who has died from COVID-19.. A friend from childhood father died this afternoon. He had been on a ventilator for the last week and a half so unfortunately this was a very likely possibility.

Just completely sucks with vaccines out and the end of all this within sight..

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is worth a view.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I thought Biden's comment was ridiculous, but I'd prefer if this was in D&D.

14. Major

Major Member

What's ridiculous about it? It's a problem city after city and state after state is running into. Minority communities, older people, and rural communities all have lower access to broadband and internet - we have plenty of data on that. Most communities are largely doing online registration and wait lists and these communities are more likely to do things by voice. Latino communities have a portion of people that have English as a 2nd language or don't speak it it all, and in many places, you don't have Spanish language versions of the websites.

You can do the math of how that plays out.

Invisible Fan, Deckard and jchu14 like this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They have access to these things and they have phones connected to the internet. We live in 2021. What year do you think these people are living in? Poor black, Hispanic, and rural communities have internet. They know how to use the internet. How incapable do you think they are? These people have families as well. Entire black and Hispanic families aren't incapable of using the amazing newfangled internet technology. The comment was extremely demeaning and out of touch at the very best. We have other minority groups in the US as well that weren't mentioned for some reason, but I'll leave it at that.

JumpMan and Bobbythegreat like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It's been a week since this prior post and vaccinations are still cruising along.

It appears we are up from 48.2% to 53.8% of the over 75 population getting at least 1 shot.
    The 65 to 74 population looks to be up from 29.3% to 34.7% getting at least 1 shot.
    The 50 to 64 is roughly at 12.5% of the population with at least 1 shot.

That is based on this data plus the 8% not classified into the age groups and from the 2019 estimated population by age groups for the US.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Not saying it's impossible, but in Texas, roughly 900,000 people don't have broadband. We rank 35th in internet access. 88% of the broadband shortage is in the rural areas, which is why governor Abbott declared it a Texas emergency (along with his other political non-substance declarations). PUC could raise taxes to fund the telecom rebates for improved infrastructure, and he appoints PUC, so maybe this is political BS too. But access is a real problem in rural Texas, and also for over 100k urban Texans.

The flip side is that according to survey studies by Baylor College of Medicine (I think them), the largest subgroups of people who don't want to take the COVID vaccine are 1) Trump supporters and 2) black people.

So we got a little bit of this and a little bit of that going on. I guess it's less politically acceptable to tell certain Trump supporters and certain black people to put their anti-vaxing conspiracy theory loving lunacy aside and get their asses vaccinated. Watching too many damn movies and social media videos about government mind control when the medical community has been busting its ass nonstop to save lives and keep people healthy.

robbie380, Invisible Fan and Deckard like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The comments are well in line with many others he's made over the decades. He is who he always has been

19. Supermac34

The 10th person I know died this last week.