1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cool Science News: NASA Perseverance Mission

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jul 30, 2020.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

If the drone gets shot down that would suck.

2. TheresTheDagger

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I loved the broadcast focusing so much on kids and women being involved in this. We need to get them involved way earlier. Space ain't just a grown-man's game. I liked that one woman who was a professional dancer who decided to go back to her first love - space. She also has an astrophysics degree from Columbia and an engineering degree from CalTech. That's just too much talent for one human. lol. Or the woman whose mother was a maid in Colombia (I think) and she helped clean houses. But then came to the US with hardly any mone, learned English and was the team lead on the Curiosity rover and is one of the leads on the Perseverance mission.

Can't wait to see what Perseverance and Ingenuity find and to see more pics and videos. Speaking of which, there should be some video by Monday and maybe a decent pic before that :

Yung-T, Deckard and Commodore like this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ following up on that... this is going to sound like a super dumb complaint considering they just landed a one ton vehicle on Mars ... but the pics still look like they were taken by a potato! Lol. Where’s the high definition?!?

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's a better version of the picture .. They're still downloading it though. Transfer speeds worse than dialup. At max speed, they get a transfer rate of 4kb per sec

#45 jev5555, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Yung-T and Deckard like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Such an incredibly complex landing. While they've done it before, I'm still surprised that they pulled it off.

Yung-T and Xerobull like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are multiple cameras on the rover. The one that took the photo(s) quickly beamed back was just an engineering camera that they use to see where they're going (if they're about to bump into rocks, etc). There are others onboard that will send back much better photos, but those take time to transmit. They'll have movies of the approach/landing by Monday, hopefully.

Yung-T and DFWRocket like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

9. Buck Turgidson

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Idiot of the day award goes to Perseverance-denier James
    [​IMG]

11. JayZ750

i have the tweet on my phone, but im not typing from my phone... maybe will edit, but the video coming out now is FANTASTIC!!!

here check it out.

Yung-T, marks0223, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

It makes me wonder if a certain cult still believes space and other planets where humanity has been able to send space crafts still exist? I was around a couple of its members today and I brought up the rover and drone landing on Mars and said I was excited to see what becomes of this mission. Then I get a side-eyed look followed by a riiiight naaasssaa. Wasn't quite sure how to take it so I let it go. Today I brought it up again about the pictures coming back and I get a condescending question about how were they able to fly this thing all the way there and didn't they just blow up their rocket?

Yung-T likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I don't think that's from Perseverance

B-Bob likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Seems quick to be from the new rover -- I'd like to think NASA would make a bigger deal about the first sounds from the surface of another planet.

Yung-T and B-Bob like this.
  15. JayZ750

I can’t keep them all straight.

is it real?

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Yung-T likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Fake news. :D

No video with sound has been released yet from this expedition. There are microphones onboard the rover, though. They've sent microphones on missions in the past, but I think they've failed to transmit anything. Hopefully this time it'll work.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That’s Curiosity. It’s not video but rather panoramic stills spliced together.
    Sound is edited it.

from the comments of your tweet

marks0223 likes this.
  19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

When are we gonna include some giant woofers and blast out some Twisted Sister and Eric B while our OG rollz are cruising? Seems pretty American to me. Might as well Muricanize that b****.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"