1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Feb 18, 2021.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Tate is a fighter, a battler who will be a great hustle guy his whole career. He is really good at shooting high off the backboard on drives. He is not a great outside shooter. He is a pretty good passer.

He is nothing like Ron Artest, i don't see Tate ever averaging 20ppg and his defence isn't as good as Artest

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Mr. Space City

Just let Tate be Tate, and build his own legacy.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

All Rookie team methinks.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think he has RON ARTEST Potential
    and this is not the ROCKETS Artest. . . this is the Indiana Artest
    RON WAS A GOOD PLAYER

Rocket River

TheRealist137 likes this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm...um=0&player_id1=tateja01&player_id2=artesro01

The MWP/Artest comparison is actually pretty decent. Obvs Sandiford-Artest (now, no longer Metta World Peace, the more you know) was an intimidating presence on defense and a bit bigger. The per 36 minutes especially, pretty similar.

Idk if that's his trajectory, it's not a huuuge stretch but there's some developing he can do to get there that's easily identifiable. I think part of it is that because he is a do-all utility blade, do they ask him to contribute in a specific way? But for sure, you could say an improved 3%, better at setting up teammates for assists, less fouls... all very possible with playing time/development, something you will believe in when you see his college stats lined up first... he IS improving, particularly the 3 ball. That should inspire confidence in believing he's going to continue improving, doubly so when you hear him speak and his attitude about playing (as if the rivers of sweat aren't enough).

He's a veteran rookie, if that makes sense. There have been some growing pangs we haven't seen. There will be some growing pangs we will see. Ultimately, the question "how good is Tate" will be answered in time but for now, I'd question the salience of anyone trying to negate or downplay his play for the Rockets this season. Maybe the question is better asked, "How good are the Rockets without Tate?"

Rocket River and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. DJ

DJ Member

I think highly of Tate. He is that type of player that can fit with any lineup. He can play multiple positions and is capable of doing well at it. He has shown a lot already. I think he has the work ethic and attitude that bodes well for this team. If he works on his three and become above average at that, I would be happy. He reminds me of a combo between Tucker and Battier. He does have a little bit of Ron Artest in him with the low post game

Rashmon and D-rock like this.
  8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lot of god comps in here with Battier, Elie, Tucker. I wouldn’t call him a true 3 and D guy as he’s more of a mix it up inside with a couple of 3s thrown in. Very fundamentally sound and hustles like crazy and makes almost everything in the flow of the offense.

He’s probably already at his ceiling unless he becomes a dead eye 3 pt shooter. Like Tucker he should have a long career.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. bmelo

bmelo Member

Peak PJ is his potential

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We need to keep Tate! Wood, Tate, KPJ, and draft picks is how he will go back to contention!

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Ew. He's way better than PJ. Tate is very explosive unlike PJ who can barely finish a layup when contested.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's a slap in the face to Artest.

Artest had a better handle and had been to focal point of a NBA offense.

He was also a true lockdown perimeter defender which Tate is not.

Put some respect on Artest name.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

Ew, bro if he ever contributes like PJ has the past three years that will be amazing. Put some respect on PJ's name. Check PJ's advanced playoff numbers, hell is TS% is really good too.

14. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

If he doesn't improve his handles, passing, and shooting.. modern day Bonzi Wells. But I think Tate can surpass that comp. I believe in his handling, PnR decision making, and his defense which makes him a much more versatile player.

Not seeing the Artest comparison. Is it because they're both bulky wings? Artest was a flying tank, 3 level scorer, and the main option on offense for years. I'd be happily surprised if Tate ever puts up a season with 40% 3pt shooting, let alone become the main bucket getter for a team.

Also not sure about the Draymond comparisons, mainly because that comp gets thrown around a lot for other players and there hasn't been another Draymond since the original. But I think this outcome is more realistic and achievable than Artest.

HP3 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Artest was an allstar and a all NBA player so no Artest is not a good comparison.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Also anyone saying he's gonna be an all star......, Im not gonna say no but like....keep in mind, dude is 25. He's not a finished product but a lot of stuff that he is now is closer to what he'll be later.

D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF Bonzi Wells.

Bonzi had an above average handles and shooting, Bonzi was also a 3 level scorer and the main option on offense for years, he had a better offensive game than Artest.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope.

It's obvious you have not seen Bonzi play, he was a star level player.

19. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

Minimum Potential: Anthony Bennett
    Maximum Potential: Jared Jeffries

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I said it before. I'll say it again. BUILD AROUND TATE!