1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I’m not going to debate you on this. If that’s your opinion you do you. I can only go by what I remember and at the time Kawhi was a middle tier 1st round pick. Marcus Morris was a lottery lock. I did really want Kawhi but only on a trade down and only after we acquired more assets...

D-rock likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Creating strawman argument again, predictable.

This a Morey appreciation thread, there are plenty of threads shetting on Morey without you polutting this one.

I forgot how silly you can be.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

You claimed Morris was UNIVERSALLY seen as better and I just showed you links that said otherwise. Who cares what you remember you arent the judge and jury of the entire universe, just cuz you think Morris was a lotto lock doesnt mean the rest of the world thinks like you. Morey def should have known better and thats why passing on Kawhi was a mistake.

Just man up and admit you are wrong it aint that hard.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Right so after losing the argument and doing nothing but throwing straw men arguments, ad hominem attacks and now it is projection.

Lets not forget you are the one who latched onto 1 comment in my whole post and started arguing with me over it, now I'm the one off topic lmao. Bruh just admit you were wrong, it aint that hard.

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

You know I looked it up and you are correct it wasn’t a unanimous opinion. I was wrong. It was a universal opinion that Marcus was a lotto pick but not everyone had him above Kawhi. I have no problem admitting it.

On a side note, you seem like you’re wound up pretty tight there brother. You shouldn’t take everything so personal when someone has a different opinion than yours.

Invisible Fan, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  7. Texanstradamus

Westbrook trade with okc looks great

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I bet he rocked that laugh non stop and tanked the personal interview.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

We had a gaping hole at SF and Kawhi at the time was just known to be an athletic defender. That alone makes it a no-brainer choice. Now whether why Darrel Morey decided to take another 6'8 PF, it's anyone's guess

10. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

He's paid and expected to bring the best value product on the court to his shareholders, the city and the fans. That should be entirely what he's judged on. My boss doesn't give a damn if I'm this nice guy who takes care of my wife and kids and is an activist fighting for the Rohingya in Myanmar. he only cares if I bring him value.

Now Morey made a lot of great trades and made it fun to follow as a fan. But ultimately he f**ked up when it mattered the most with dumbass moves like forgoing Kawhi and that massive contract to Ryan Anderson and we couldn't get over the hump when it was our chance.

#190 W22_STREAK, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I was/am a huge Morey fan, but think some of the credit I have given him was a bit much. Seeing the Nets with just Harden when KD and Kyrie are not playing, it seems like the game is still coming easier for James with just those players. I don't think Morey was able to surround James with enough good players, he came close a couple of times. There was a series with CP3 getting injured, a series where we could blame the refs, but I am starting to see that Darryl really came up short. I would still gladly take him back in Houston in a heartbeat though.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

...laughed dorrell marley.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  13. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Your judgement standard for blame is terribly flawed as is your example. If you pick Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan like the Blazers did well that's a decision 1 team made who had the choice at the time between the two players and therefore it's possible to challenge their judgement/reasoning.

However, when 15 teams make the same decision that is HALF the league and one could argue that the most likely average decision would be to pass on that player. In effect you are monday morning quarterbacking saying that 15 GM's are incompetent.

Since your crystal ball is so amazing I suggest you apply for a GM position in the NBA immediately. You should consider using your powers in the stock market. ...and the texas lottery.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

You don't get it.

Kawhi was ranked as the 14th best prospect on the board so why are the GMs at the top of the draft to be blamed for passing on him? It's the same logic why Blazers shouldn't be blamed for picking Sam Bowie cuz nobody knew MJ would be the GOAT. MJ only averaged 17 pts and 55% in college so how were the Blazers supposed to know he would be the greatest bball player of all time? Not only that Blazers also had Clyde Drexler who was trending to be an all star. People laughed at David Kahn for picking 2 pgs back to back in the lotto but somehow it's wrong that Blazers didn't draft 2guys that were projected to be carbon copies of each other.

On the other hand as the 14th picker Morey SHOULD be blamed on passing on the 14th best prospect for somebody who turned out markedly worse. He deserves blame for not seeing that Kawhi was the BPA at the 14th spot and thinking Marcus Morris was a better prospect than him. If everybody else thought that Marcus was better than Kawhi then fine, but as I have posted in my links quite a lot of draft sites had Kawhi higher than Marcus Morris. It's not like the MJ situation where nobody knew or had any idea MJ was gonna be the GOAT quite a lot of sites (and me specifically) thought Kawhi was gonna be the better player between the 2. We were right and Morey was wrong and that's why Morey deserves blame for messing up. He doesn't deserve blame for passing on one of the best 2 way players in NBA history he deserves blame for incorrectly judging Marcus Morris was gonna be the better player to Kawhi Leonard. The whole point he is there and using analytics is to identify which prospects are better than the other. If it didn't get the intended result and turned out inferior to quite a lot of other amateur talent analysts then he def deserves to get criticized. If you don't think incorrectly judging one prospect over another isn't enough to get blamed then nobody deserves to get blamed in the draft ever. Why do I need to be a GM myself before I can criticize the drafts of other GMS? By that logic everybody who has criticized Danuel House here needs to slap themselves because House would score 100 pts on their ass 1on1.

OTH, you can see the flaw in your logic you think Blazers should be blamed for not knowing MJ would be the GOAT but then Morey shouldn't take blame for not knowing Kawhi Leonard would become a superstar and one of the top players in NBA history. It's the same line of thought and logic but in your eyes one team should be blamed for not being omniscient while the other party shouldn't be blamed for not being omniscient. They made the same "mistake" in your eyes but somehow one team gets a pass but another doesn't. How does that even work?

#194 roslolian, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't with this kind of logic. I don't know how to tell you this but there is no guarantee that Kawhi would even be Kawhi if we drafted him. Would he have been mentored by Timmy, Manu, Tony and Pop here? No. Would he have had Chip England to help him address his biggest weakness? No. There are a lot of really talented players that come into the league and never make it precisely because they don't go to the right organization. Kevin Porter Jr is an example of a guy who we're hoping just needs our organization to get to where his talent can take him, but, undeniably, he'd be better off with the Spurs. Look at what they do with guys like Kawhi, Dejounte, Derrick White, etc. Hell, even Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson. They are excellent at developing young players. We've developed a few but don't have nearly their track record of success.

Besides that, literally every ****ing year the best GMs pass on guys who prove them wrong. Every year! I guess every GM in the league is bad for passing on Jokic.

Daryl did better than most with the opportunities he was given. If you expect him, or anyone, to bat a thousand you're going to be sorely disappointed for the rest of your life. Human beings don't work like that.

hakeem94, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

And what if's are silly anyway.

What matters is proven production.

Morey took Rockets to top 3 teams of West.

Now he has taken 76ers to top of the East.

That is not luck.

17. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea the last year was calculated to Fock Tilman and the Rockets. I get why he wanted to messed up Tilman. The thing is he also messed up the Rockets future. I really don’t care what he did the previous years but the last three years of his tenure were bad. The last year he was here was the worst. And the way he left was shady too. And you can ignore all of it all the moves if you like but Morey is not a man of his word. That’s a fact. Yea I know you’ll say that’s the nba business and pretty much every gm or owner or team does that. However they don’t publicly say it and go to interviews to deny it. A statement would be better. Even just a call before the trade to Cp3 would have been nice. In the podcast with Jj Redick, Chris implied that he got the news like everyone else. He look upset as he was talking about it.

Also, You mean to say he was that stupid to do all that trade. Player for player okay maybe but not giving out picks. Who in their right mind gives picks for Russ. Not one but multiple ones.
    Morey is a smart guy so I’m sure he knew what he was doing. And that includes the HK post as well. We all knew he was looking for a way out of here.

Please list and name those GM and their infamous or bad trades. Don’t just say it and not back that up. I would say the Knicks have had a history of bad moves. Aside from them and let’s just ignore Kawhi getting picked late, please name some gyms and their bad moves, especially on their way out from their organization.

18. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea go ahead slam your head if you like, it’s up to you.

He was very responsible for that move. He knew Harden had expressed his displeasure with Paul and wanted out. Morey knew about Harden’s ultimatum, it was either him or Chris.
    So saying he wasn’t at fault because his boss force him to do that trade was and is wrong.
    He could have stepped down. He was already in bad terms with Tilman or he didn’t like him that much, from what it seemed.
    He didn’t have to go to Chris and tell him he wasn’t going to trade him, Chris even went ahead and told him straight up to tell him if they were since he expected him to be traded. Chris knew Harden and him weren’t in the best terms. Yet Morey denied it and doubled down. So Tilman told him to do those things? To go and tell Chris and other in the media the Rockets weren’t going to trade Paul.
    Is your head bleeding yet ? I hope maybe it’s just swollen since maybe then you’ll realize that it was Morey’s fault too.

If you’re not happy with your boss or your job and your are thinking about quitting or resigning. You couldn’t care less what your boss tells you. And if your boss tells you to do something that goes against your moral. Ofc right then one would step down. I guess for Morey the nail in the coffin was only until Harden had a foot out of Houston.

yes I wouldn’t just follow what my boss says or demands, especially under those circumstances where I’m unhappy and pondering about resigning.

Morey didn’t seem to care much for what he posted on Instagram/Twitter. That was way more unprofessional, knowing the repercussions for himself, the team and the entire organization. So how come then Morey didn’t just apologized for his post right away. He was quiet for a while after his post. He expected to get fired. Tilman denounced Morey’s view and so did other in the NBA. If some congressmen didn’t stepped in and voiced their concerns and almost gave an ultimatum to the NBA, Morey had been fired for sure. The tone of everyone changed after the congressmen expressed their displeasure of the way the nba was doing things and were going to investigate deeply if he had been fired.
    So Morey’s plan didn’t work, his post didn’t work as a way to get fired. So he had to lie himself out of the Rockets.

So it was okay for him to do that and lie to his boss about taking time off from the NBA.
    :rolleyes:

Morey is shady, talks too much, you cant believe in his word and has no integrity.
    Yea aside from that he is fine I guess.

PS I hope your head is fine if not go to your nearest hospital.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any action, harm done to yourself and or others. That was my opinion and it’s all fine and done. :Do_O

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

That's a whole lot of writing for something I didn't bother to read.

As soon as you said harden gave an ultimatum I stopped reading - because it was obvious you were spouting nonsense and don't actually know what you're talking about.

20. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Heh, dude you are just spouting nonsense. Sure I'm going to produce an analysis of 30 GM's trades over the last 10 years... You are just being ridiculous as it is obvious every GM makes bad trades countless times over their careers. All trades are a calculated roll of the dice, just like trading stocks etc.

You can equate your request to asking someone to detail every bad stock trade made by the Warren Buffett. He would be the first to tell you he made countless bad stock trades but like DM his team was wildly profitable the entire time.