1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 11, 2021.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

And yet we have the third best defence in the NBA

Rashmon and TheFreak like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

smart of u to quit while you’re 20 steps behind

I’ve entertained your posts enough for now...moving on

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

wow, we actually still do have a top 5 defense...I had to go and check for myself because I thought for sure our rating would’ve have fallen off some with all the beatdowns lately

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

So many great coaches here, i'm liking these comments from the "experts"

Silas is learning and wanting to do his own style and that is fine, rookie coaches learn and morph in to their own style and way.

If he had his full rotation to work with every night and we were in the same position, then sure be upset by it, but heck injuries have wrecked us getting any consistent rotation going. How many starting line ups have we had ?

Rashmon and True Rocket like this.
  5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Absolutely ridiculous to judge Silas negatively at this point.

Rashmon and Amel like this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

And where exactly r we in the standings?

D-rock likes this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Look....the reality is the guy can coach. He’s been given a lousy hand. The problem is he is a very weak coach and has no push with upper management due to his lack of experience and tenure. A good respected coach like JVG can make sure he has a roster with more than two big men on it....he demands it he gets it due to his years of dealing with management. He also wouldn’t feel the pressure a new virgin head coach feels in mandatorily playing subpar veterans 30+ minutes a game (i.e, Tucker and House). Heard an interview with Cousins and he said the players are basically coaching themselves when asked about Silas’ strong start to the season. He wouldn’t give the guy direct credit. Somewhat of a red flag, but that may just be Cousins weird personality. Silas wanted Oladipo and therefore likely had a say in trading Prince, Levert, and Allen which would have provided great talent/depth at positions of need. He’s been dealt a bad hand, but is not blameless in this mess. I also question him “throwing” games by sitting quality players (like we’re the old Spurs) in winnable back to backs. With Wood out, that is not a luxury we can afford.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't envy his position. Honestly this lineup is all over the place, the fact that we have 1 point guard and he has to sit on back to back games along with our starting SG is already a glaring problem. Wood also have been injured quite a bit and Cousins is not a starting center at this point.

HP3 likes this.
  9. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

FYP LOL :)

HP3 likes this.
  10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Are you SURE about all of that or just giving your "fan opinion" of things? You nor I or any other "fan" on this board know any specifics of the team's plan. This whole thing has been thrown into chaos with James and Russ wanting out, not to mention GM and coaching changes. All I was trying to say is some are trying to pass judgement on him during these chaotic times when the guy hasn't had a real roster and time to really coach them. This roster could (should) be very different in the coming months. Wins and losses really don't mean anything right now in my opinion. This is the time we are trying to figure out the roster so we know where to focus our moves coming up. The team looks competitive, they just dont have the requisite talent level to sustain play for a full 48 mins. They seem to play hard for him and that is the most important thing right now. Hopefully the GM can build up the talent level on the roster and then we can really see what he can do.

HP3 likes this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it is the offensive end where we have problems. People look at the standings and think that is the full story. Injuries have killed us this season, unsettled line ups hurt consistent growth as a team.

wins and losses are not the full story, if we had the same record with a full healthy roster, then you might have something, but it is very hard when you have players coming in and out of the line up to get a good consistent rotation going.

This makes it even more amazing what Harden did when he was here and we had injury problems and he kept racking up the wins

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

By embracing last seasons small ball switch everything defense in favor of his shet hybrid defense.

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol it is impressive considering the players we have had out. You make it seem like it is easy............

by the way, last season our defence was only 12th

TheFreak and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Which team has had a full rotation every night?

Harden just carried the Nets to victory last night after being down 24 points.

He did this without KD or Durant on a team with very little depth.

CF would have criticized both MDA for game not being a boring win + not playing enough minutes for fill in the blank scrub AND shet on Harden for not scoring 50 point triple double AND for being lazy/not moving on defense.

AND being overweight.

Nook and Reeko like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes because MOST of the season Elston Turner insisted on the same hybrid defense that Silas wanted to run.

Rockets defense flew up the rankings after Capela/RoCo trade AND Harden/MDA reinstituted Bzdelik's switch heavy defense.

Rockets defense was rated NUMBER ONE in the playoffs.

Numbers have to be viewed in context.

Nook likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Does anyone believe Silas will realize that Wood needs to be focus on offense instead of Wall/Dipo now?

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

I doubt Wall will take a backseat to Wood...he is the self-proclaimed franchise player after all

D-rock likes this.
  18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

We don't have a Harden anymore...........................................................and it isn't like we haven't seen him do this before.

When a team has 2 of their big three out, they forget that they still have a big one left, usually that just brings them back to most teams level who always only have a big one and role players

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

we are 8-9 with Wood in the line up

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

0-7 is the pertinent record IMO.